PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Space Keeps Increasing And Decreasing

denwol
8th August 2005, 11:48 AM
Have a imac g5 with 160GB HDD. there isnt much on it but the other day the HDD space went doen to 1 GB left and then back up to 70GB left in the space of 1 hour without it being touched. Very strange and I need to know why because it should have another 30-40GB and I cant find it anywhere. :unsure:

macmate
8th August 2005, 11:56 AM
increasing and decreasing HD space is not uncommon as Mac OS X uses the HD as vertual memory. But, at the extremes you have explained to us, i would guess something to be really amiss with you system or HD directory (B-tree or something similar). if you have something like Diskwarrior i would run that.

denwol
8th August 2005, 11:58 AM
thanks, ill give diskwarrior a go.

gelfie
8th August 2005, 12:04 PM
First of all, look in /var/vm, and see how many swap files you have when this is happening. It is possible (even likely) that the missing drive space is in fact being consumed by virtual memory.

If this is the case, then I would look to see if you have any applications or processes running in the background that are leaking memory.

Generally when you get a huge memory leak like that the harddisk will thrash long and hard, and at least on my older macs, system performance will go in the crapper while this is happening.

I am not a big believer in disk maintenance utilities. I think it far more likely to be a rogue process of some sort.

macmate
9th August 2005, 08:22 AM
70GB consumed by VM? the most i have seen in my days has been a good 5GB been taken for no appartent reason. if data wasn't re-apearing i would have told him to look at the swap files as sometimes system/program issues can cause them not to be deleted, especially when something like photoshop doesn't close properly. 70GB seems a bit too much for a problem like this, but there is always a first time for everything.

the 30-40gb that is missing could esily be due to swap file issues though :)

denwol
9th August 2005, 10:38 AM
Had a look at /var/vm but doesnt seem to be anything here. There are two files which are not very big (64mb each).
Thanks, any suggestion is a good suggestion.