PDA

View Full Version : Help - I think I killed my MBP 15in

Wade85
6th December 2009, 10:57 AM
Firstly hi all. New member

I have a mbp 15in duocore. It had a standard 120gb fujitsu hdd which was full. I got a new 500gb WD from the computer fair, installed as per app the online guides, re formatted it and then tried to restore from my time capsual. After the restor I kepted getting the grey screen telling me to hold the power button to re boot over and over. Then I repeated the reformate and tried an older restore incase the first was corrupt. Still the dredded grey screen.

Help pls!!

decryption
6th December 2009, 11:03 AM
Try it with a clean install (i.e: get your system restore discs, or a copy of Snow Leopard) - instead of installing from your Time Machine backup. The issue could be something dodgy in the Time Machine files (e.g: an important file wasn't copied properly and is corrupt).

black painter
6th December 2009, 11:13 AM
sounds like the time machine is corrupt. Reinstall and update them pick the files off the time machine

Wade85
6th December 2009, 11:39 AM
Thanks guys will try that tonight

Wade85
6th December 2009, 05:18 PM
ok well i got snow leopard to install fine. how do I recover from TM, when i connect via usb it loads as a normal disc not a TM disc to migrate from.

??
W

nibbles
6th December 2009, 06:12 PM
Go>Application>Utilities>Migration Assistant and go from there, I think it is also possible to set it up as a time machine again by going System Preference>Time Machine>Select Backup Disk...

Wade85
6th December 2009, 08:04 PM
Sorted - all working now thanks!!!!!