PDA

View Full Version : CoPilot Live Australia/NZ updated

kyte
6th December 2009, 05:28 AM
Seems to be a fairly significant update.

NEW IN THIS UPDATE:
1) in-app iPod controls
2) Clearturn* enhanced junction display in portrait mode
3) improved user interface performance
4) Fixed Latitude/Longitude destination entry (I wasnt aware it was broken, I don't use that but some GPSers might find it v useful)
5) Additional GPS performance improvements

What isn't mentioned in the iTunes description is that you can now purchase a Text to Speech voice for $5.99, in-app (a bit of a worry, since the other contenders offer TTS for free). There is also a CoPilot store which I tried to access but which was so slow I have no idea what was in there - I gave up, and there's a button called "Updates" which did nothing. Perhaps that will be used when/if you purchase something in-app.

I might have failed to mention "Live services" in my roundup, because I was so unimpressed with the first CoPilot version. You can get weather updates from Accuweather.com, which isn't, usually (accurate, that is), and there's something called live link in which you can send messages back and forth with your mates on copilot. I was quite surprised to be getting an in-app mail from a friend whose email I had input. (Later investigation reveals he was on the web at the time, and only european maps are available there! But he was able to send a message at least) Its only meant to be used as a quick way of making contact with someone you're meeting, or whatever... greyed out is a Live Traffic button.

Also greyed out are "Driver Safety", "Itinerary" and "Safety Alerts" and you can only set your speed limit warning (assuming the software can determine the correct limit) to 10km/hr over at the least. Unfortunately, CoPilot is still using Navteq maps so when I go for a drive later, I won't know how this flies, any more than I did last time, because in this area, rooad speed information is not available to the software.

POI warnings are available, and Schools and Universities are included as a group. I've set up to warn for those so at least there is something useful in terms of warnings. There are other POIs I might want displayed but not warned (eg where to park my car in a city). Speed and redlight cameras are not in the list, alas.

*CoPilot ClearTurn™ provides a more realistic display of motorway exits and junctions. It flashes on your screen just before you get to a major junction and shows graphically what the junction should look like. It will be interesting to see what it looks like and if I can get a screenie of it.

Anyhow, that's the story so far. I'm not expecting huge improvements because of my personal preferences for features which Navteq is unable to provide in Oz, but later will take it for a run and see whats what.

eaglesteve2
6th December 2009, 10:00 AM
No update can be good enough if it continues to use Navteq map. That's for me anyway.

kyte
6th December 2009, 01:03 PM
And I haven't got round to going out anywhere today so unlikely to do a road test this week. I've remembered about the POI warning by re-reading my original roundup... Not good, but at least, if you can get into the directory, you can change the warning and I plan to do that, at least.. a short dingding will do, rather than "Attention!.." etc. Can't see how to add more POIs, I have found out that on other PDA versions its possible to use the tomtom ov2 files in some way but can't see a way of doing that on this app.

Its not a good way of doing business though, when I can get everything I want for the same price from Sygic. I can't see myself persisting with testing this one for much longer.

I think its a given that anything with Navteq maps is going to be substandard in terms of features, and anything with Whereis will do the job more than adequately. That leaves tomtom and Sygic.

kyte
7th December 2009, 07:51 PM
Well, out on the road, the app would have lost me had I been a stranger to these parts. On another occasion it would have taken me 5kms out of my way to get to where I wanted to go. As expected, the warning for any POIs remains the same "Attention! Point of interest!" and theres no sign of speed cams etc.

I'm over this one, it doesnt come close. NDrive and Navigon are better but not by a lot, and Sygic and Tomtom remain the ones to beat.