PDA

View Full Version : Mail Help!!!!

johnnyspack
4th December 2009, 07:29 AM
Panic! In Mail I couldn't find the toolbar on the left so in a moment of panic I hit the "rebuild" option. Now all my mail from the last year and a half has gone missing! Any way to recover that mail? There's vital information there I need.
:o

Dimitri

stuey_boy
4th December 2009, 08:43 AM
Time machine?

johnnyspack
4th December 2009, 08:54 AM
Never used it? Surely it cant just wipe all my emails without even a warning?

ajbeardy
4th December 2009, 08:57 AM
Do you have some form of backup?

Apple Mail emails are stored in ~Library/Mail

stuey_boy
4th December 2009, 08:57 AM
I'm no expert on rebuilding mailboxes in mail.app, but if the information was so vital to you, you must back it up (as plenty of people on here will tell you).

If you haven't, and they cannot be recovered, then its a tough lesson learnt. You must have some sort of backup process / solution.

ada_lovelace
4th December 2009, 09:08 AM
Any attachments associated with the missing emails will probably be sitting in your trash, if that helps.

Lutze
4th December 2009, 09:51 AM
A quick question about your email.

Who do you use for email? It might still be on your providers servers...

glacierdave
4th December 2009, 01:10 PM
Panic! In Mail I couldn't find the toolbar on the left so in a moment of panic I hit the "rebuild" option. Now all my mail from the last year and a half has gone missing! Any way to recover that mail? There's vital information there I need.
:o

Dimitri

What mail transport method are you using? IMAP, POP, etc.

If IMAP, doing a rebuild will clear all locally cached email and it'll appear empty until all the messages are downloaded from the server again - depending on how much email you're talking, this might take a while.

Aside from that, I'd think the only way all the email is going to go missing is if the data was corrupted. If that's the case you'll need to restore from a backup.

From what I can see on various google searches, you need to avoid letting any one mailbox get larger than about 2GB - if you've got a LOT of email and it's not being moved to other mailbox folders, perhaps you've exceeded this limit and that's part of your problem.