PDA

View Full Version : Digital Cameras (looking To Upgrade)

PyroVesten
7th August 2005, 08:18 PM
I won't elaborate (unless asked) but I'm looking at upgrading and my choices are restricted to the following three cameras:

- Fujifilm FinePix S7000Z Digital Camera
- Canon PowerShot G6
- Canon PowerShot Pro1 Digital Camera

Priorities are split due to the varying situations I'll be using the camera in.

- A lot of it will be gig photography (dark, fast movement, saturated light).
- The longer the battery life, the better. Ideally I want a high-capacity rechargeable pack that comes with the camera or an be bought as an accessory. A lot of gigs I take photos at are 12-14 hour events. 400 shots per charge would be the bare-minimum. 800 would be ideal (I don't want much, do I? :P)
- Resolution will more likely be a higher priority than negligible increased quality as I'll be shooting a lot of stuff for my personal stock library (including a LOT of textures) and these images will be applied in print design (so higher res = important), and they'll also appear in images like the more recent work on my portfolio here: http://www.pyro-vesten.net/ (in other words, they'll rarely appear in un-altered form). Gig photos will generally be optimised for the web but may find their way to print in the future.
- I'll be doing a little promo shooting for bands.
- Ultra-high shutter speeds a big bonus.
- Excellent macro images a big bonus.
- Ability to record movies for as long as the memory card has space (as in, no time limit on individiaul movies) is important but not vital.
- High zoom would be nice, but not vital.
- Ease of use isn't too important.
- Overall quality is important.

Anyway, I'd love opinions from owners of said cameras (especially their good and bad points), people who really know their stuff and the like. Price isn't an issue (there's a fair difference between the cameras I'm looking at, but I'll be picking up whichever best suits my needs).

Thanks in advance.

dangelovich
7th August 2005, 08:24 PM
Shall I assume you've already made a trip over to http://www.dpreview.com to see their reviews and user opinions?

PyroVesten
7th August 2005, 10:07 PM
Certainly have. I've been all over the net actually (and wasted hours upon hours)..just wanted some direct feedback from current owners. I'm leaning towards the S7000Z at the moment, but still unsure.

forno
8th August 2005, 07:50 AM
After using my dads fuji and my girls Canon, there is no choice here it has to be the Canon, dont know about the second Canon you mention but I have had a look at the Pro1 and it is a very nice camera, I found the Fuji to be very fiddly and cumbersome in its menus, the Canon is a breeze

Alessiman
8th August 2005, 07:55 AM
Any reason why you have gone a prosumer all in one camera and not a decent SLR like the 350D etc?

The 300D is cheap right now as run out stock and would be a much better investment when an all in one long term

chocho
8th August 2005, 08:22 AM
[quote]Posted on Aug 8 2005, 07:55 AM
Any reason why you have gone a prosumer all in one camera and not a decent SLR like the 350D etc?

The 300D is cheap right now as run out stock and would be a much better investment when an all in one long term

i couldn't agree more! the Canon 350D is an excellent camera and value for money. No shutter lag, interchangable lenses, larger ccd sensor, fast auto focus (canon pro1 suffers from focus lag)
spend the extra cash and you won't regret it. at the moment canon is giving $150 cash back on the D350! if you haggle your way through, it may end up costing you around $1300!

good luck

:)

PyroVesten
8th August 2005, 09:53 PM
Time to elaborate then... The camera will be purchased with points gained from Credit Card transactions, totalling $600 in value and the rest, cash out of my pocket. The points can only be used at Myer. The means that Myer must carry the camera in question and something like the 350D wouldn't suit my needs as well as a high-end Digi/SLR-like camera.

estoyloco
8th August 2005, 10:23 PM
Fuji's new processor seems to have great capabilities. I have the F10 that is able to shoot at ISO80-1600. ISO400 on most other digicams looks the same as ISO1600 on the FUJI. So the new FUJI S9000 (or whatever they are called) could be a great deal. I have a feeling that these will be the "350D' of their range. I would wait to get one of these.

High ISO allows you to hand hold in dark venues without flash so you can capture the ambience etc.

Another good point of the Fuji processor is that it is damn sharp and detailed. THe F10's processor records on an amazing amount of its total pixels

Dont know if the new ones definately use the same processor, but if they use an improved one and the price is right i would definately look seriously at them.

PS: i never would usually even think of looking at a Fuji (i have a 350D) but the new processors are worth a look.

uncyherb
8th August 2005, 10:28 PM
I'd be considering the Panasonic FZ-20 (or 30 if Myer have it yet).

Long zoom with constant F 2.8 and image stabilization... it gets better reviews than the Pro S1. The new 30 has a flip out LCD which is a bonus that the two Canons have.

I'm not 100% sure if either of the two canon's 'gain up' the screens when in low light - which is something that you might want shooting bands and the FZ20 doesn't do.

Lincoln
8th August 2005, 10:32 PM
PyroVesten... This wouldnt happen to be the Pyro from Wagga who attended KHS (Steven), would it? :huh:

PyroVesten
8th August 2005, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the info guys. And Lincoln... no, no. You must have me confused with someone else.