PDA

View Full Version : MacBook buying advice - heat issue a problem with me :(

voirin
2nd December 2009, 03:43 AM
Hi, I'm very new to apple computer products. Actually the last time I owned an apple computer was the trusty Apple ][e !

I want to buy a notebook and have in the past been using windows on an IBM Thinkpad. But I am getting a little tired with the build quality of laptops on the market these days - especially the quality of the screen, noise levels, heat production etc. Only recently have I thought of getting a mac notebook. I have gone to JB HiFi and Myers and looked at the MacBook range there and have my eye on the MacBook Pro 15-inch: 2.8GHz for $2,999. The only thing that was stopping me from making my purchase yesterday was the noticeable heat coming from the notebook when resting my wrists on either side of the touch pad. I noticed there was minimal heat coming from the 13" macbook, more from the 15", and a lot more form the 17" (obviously correlated to CPU speed). Also, there seems to be more heat generated on the left hand side of the notebook compared to the right hand side. This can get uncomfortable when typing for extended periods of time. I guess you can place a cloth on the laptop to rest your wrists on so you don't feel the heat.

I really love the MacBook Pro. The screen is so bright and crisp and its just a beautiful piece of engineering - but the heat issue really really bugs me. Is this a problem for everyone? I don't know what to do at this stage. I heard that there is an issue with the placement of thermal paste during the construction phase causing the overheat... ? I am unresolved as to which way to go with my purchase.

Any help most appreciated.

Cheers,
V

midnight_e
2nd December 2009, 06:40 AM
If typing for long periods, use an external keyboard.
You could also get a stand to raise the screen to a more ergonometric height.

iguy83
2nd December 2009, 10:10 AM
I think you will find any laptop you buy these days will have a hot spot. Usually the hard disk and processor are the main offenders. I have had my macbook 13" for 6 months now and yes it will get pretty warm when doing intensive tasks, but as midnight_e said, get an external keyboard and you wont have an issue.
I believe there was an issue with the thermal paste in the first batch of new unibody macbooks (what 18 months ago or more), but i havent heard any more about this issue, and i havent had a single issue with mine..
Maybe someone else out there knows a little more about the paste issue?

feeze
2nd December 2009, 11:44 AM
What kind of surface was the Macbook sitting on?

Macbooks dissipate heat through the bottom and if the computer is sitting on a surface that is a poor conductor or even worse a insulator, the heat will build up.

Unfortunately, Apple have yet to figure out how defeat the laws of physics :p But this is true of any electronic product. Especially in this heat. :)

afton
31st January 2010, 01:16 PM
I want to buy a notebook and have in the past been using windows on an IBM Thinkpad. But I am getting a little tired with the build quality of laptops on the market these days - especially the quality of the screen, noise levels, heat production etc.

Sorry late reply , but
which Thinkpad did you have? I just bought a T43 from ebay for my windoze
laptop and the build quality impressed me. I like the keyboard feel even
better than my 15" MBP :)

gr8bob
1st February 2010, 01:24 PM
The heat difference between the 13", 15" and 17" is most probably caused by the difference in GPU between the models.

I would assume both the 15" and 17" have the 9600M GT active at that time whilst the 13" MBP only has its tiny 9400M IGP to run with.

My 15" runs MUCH cooler in summer with the 9400M enabled compared to the 9600M GT.

-edit-
Just realised this was a 2 month old thread being brought back to life.