PDA

View Full Version : Snow leopard install not recognising SSD???

zaca
1st December 2009, 07:57 PM
I just installed an SSD into my MBP (late 08 unibody). When I try to install it using the snow leopard disk, it wont recognise the SSD (as in it doesnt even show up). BUT when I boot from a USB into OSX, I am able to see the SSD and partition/erase it in Disk Utility...

What on earth is going on?

Byrd
1st December 2009, 08:36 PM
That is bloody weird; did you partition the drive as GUID (not MBR?) - can you try the SSD in something like an external 2.5" case, or another Mac?

I'd also check the SSD manufacturer's website if any issues or firmware updates are listed.

JB

zulugod
1st December 2009, 10:25 PM
What's the brand? Some ssd's have known issues.

zaca
1st December 2009, 11:11 PM
all fixed now. It was a G-Skill.

I partitioned the Existing Leopard drive, and installed SL on the new partition. (this is on the USB attached drive) then I made the install a DMG file and imaged that onto the SSD which booted onto the USB drive.

Works fine now :) and daym its fast

zaca
4th December 2009, 12:27 AM
Brand: Gskill

Ok, so I had it working for a few days. Got snow leopard installed on the SSD and had been able to turn the laptop on and off over the past few days.

Today, I wanted to see how long the battery lasted, so I left it on playing a movie looped in VLC. I came back 7 hours later (i was kept out longer than expected) so I missed the point where it ran out of battery. So I plug it in and turn the computer on...folder with the question mark (i.e. It asking where the disk is).

Now I book into Leopard off my external HDD and it cant see the SSD.

I dont have time to put the old HDD back in (I dont have the tools and I am busy right up until I fly off to America tomorrow)

Help??

MissionMan
4th December 2009, 09:40 AM
That sounds like drive failure to me. You may have to put your old drive back in.