PDA

View Full Version : My baby and I have not bonded

Luvlimum
1st December 2009, 03:51 PM
In September or so last year I brought my new baby home. I was nervous and excited and like any new mum I wanted to do everything just right.

I wanted to teach my baby to do things so I bought it some toys. Slowly slowly, after spending more $$$'s than I should have I am now wondering if I am cut out to be a Mac mum?

I have had my iMac now for over a year and we have just not bonded. I don't know much more about it than I did a year ago and it is still keeping me up at night with much frustration and concern.

I have tried to add a new Printer, but I can only scan and print from the Preferences Setting as no other program seems to recognise the new Printer (Canon MP990). My Adobe PH Elements 8 cannot find a scanner, despite it clearly appearing online in the Preferences area.

It is running sluggish and thinking a great deal. I paid for Quicktime Pro but have lost it? Cannot find it in Applications - nothing.

I know nothing about general maintenance and housekeeping and I think I am still suffering Post Mac Depression.

I have subscribed to Screencasts online, but the baby is not happy downloading them at the moment and tends to run on a go slow.

Can anyone recommend any good tutorials (pref Video) where I can sit watch and learn and know how to fix little things that would normally take me hours to learn.

I am almost ready to go out and buy a new PC :o - I think I have failed in the Mac World haven't I?

T

leon
1st December 2009, 03:56 PM
Does anything here help you with your printing and scanning?
Setup Secrets for Canon Printers | Ted Landau's User Friendly Blog | The Mac Observer (http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/setup_secrets_for_canon_printers/?utm_campaign=shorturl)

If you upgraded to Snow Leopard, then Quicktime Pro will be in Applications>Utilities

TheKeddi
1st December 2009, 04:07 PM
Just as a last resort have you done a backup and reformat? i find that works wonders! Then I only install things as I need them.

And have you gone to Cannon to get the latest drivers and software for your printer?

Just a couple of things to try,

Don't go back to a PC! Give your baby a little more time, it might be a slow learner :-)

Luvlimum
1st December 2009, 04:14 PM
Leon!! I want to cry - thank you - it does help!! I did all the things that he did ie; looking for the software in Applications, spotlight etc. and could find nothing!!! Bloody Canon!!

I will go back to the drawing board and read and follow his instructions.

Can I ask something? If I installed the MP990 Software onto my Mac about three times (yeah, I kept thinking I was doing it wrong), just it just overstrike the previous files, or does it add all new files?

Also, Screencasts cannot be watched as I have discovered that my landline is down and I can only do small things on Internet as Modem is struggling, so that is why I cannot get Screen casts online.

T

DagrtheSnide
1st December 2009, 04:16 PM
Wow, recommendations of a reformat and to go searching on the web for the lastest drivers sounds like she already is using a Windows based PC.

'it just works' LOL :p

and sadly, that is my recommendation also.

TheKeddi
1st December 2009, 04:27 PM
Nooooo no Windows PC in this house!

i do reformat the mac on occasion though! I like it all shiny and clean like when I first go tit, but I must admit that I upgrade as much as Anthony so it's not all that often I don't have a shiny new one! lol

Glad your getting sorted out though Luvlimum!

kyte
1st December 2009, 04:29 PM
I am almost ready to go out and buy a new PC :o - I think I have failed in the Mac World haven't I?

T

See, now in the real world, you're not allowed to exchange one baby for another, just because it doesn't behave as expected. You're not a failed Mum, you just need a bit of help and support.

Where the printer is concerned, perhaps its an old driver issue. I had to update Drivers for my now-outdated Canon scanner almost every time I upgraded the operating system. This is not failure, its just a matter of keeping up.

Canon Australia - Drivers (http://www3.canon.com.au/drivers/default.aspx) plug in your printer there and make sure that what you have is the latest. Even though we don't have windows, everything doesn't just work like it used to when we used the Motorola CPUs (IMO) .. things work but they take a bit more time than they used to.
[edit] just looked at that site myself. There is no MP990. Are you sure that's the model? Make sure before you search or download, a wrong driver can do you no good at all.

DON'T format unless all other possibilities are exhausted.

dolbinau
1st December 2009, 04:34 PM
You don't need to buy a new PC, if you want out install Windows via Boot Camp.

ajbeardy
1st December 2009, 04:35 PM
If you want some of the SCO shows tell me which ones and I can burn them to a DVD and post them for you.

yinyang
1st December 2009, 04:38 PM
If you can get to Chadstone or Doncaster then book in for a workshop at the Apple stores there...

Apple Retail Store - Workshops (http://www.apple.com/au/retail/workshops/)

otherwise here are two posts on the Apple forums about teh MP990...

Apple - Support - Discussions - Canon MP990 + Snow Leopard - network ... (http://discussions.info.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2235197&tstart=0)

Apple - Support - Discussions - Lan problems with canon Pixma mp990 ... (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10660693)

For scanning I use an app called VueScan and then open the scan in Photoshop.

Hope some of that helps, but would definitely recommend the workshops :)

Luvlimum
1st December 2009, 04:47 PM
Hi again,

I am reading this guys instructions and he provides a link to the latest MP990 firmware updates. This is what I have:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/Tandric/Image525x394.jpg

Which one do I download? Do I download all of them?

I am confused?

T

Edited to add: I am also reading the MP990 Forums supplied above (thanks) and one person suggested that I complete delete all the canon software that was downloaded initially and try again, but I cannot find this software in applications? Where would I go to look and how do I know what the filenames will be?

t

leachy
1st December 2009, 05:11 PM
Hi again,

I am reading this guys instructions and he provides a link to the latest MP990 firmware updates. This is what I have:

Which one do I download? Do I download all of them?

I am confused?

T

Edited to add: I am also reading the MP990 Forums supplied above (thanks) and one person suggested that I complete delete all the canon software that was downloaded initially and try again, but I cannot find this software in applications? Where would I go to look and how do I know what the filenames will be?

t

When you installed the printer originally it would have installed some Canon suite in the Applications folder, well that's how it is for my Canon scanner/printer.

This may sound silly but instead of getting really frustrated and wasting your valuable time I would just bite the bullet, sell the printer on eBay to some pour soul with a PC and have a look around at a scanner or AIO printer that works out of the box with Mac. They are so cheap right now not to at least think about it!

icant
1st December 2009, 05:11 PM
Already one year… IMO you would benefit from someone going to your house to help you out. Have a set of questions ready.

Luvlimum
1st December 2009, 05:16 PM
Nooooo no Windows PC in this house!

i do reformat the mac on occasion though! I like it all shiny and clean like when I first go tit, but I must admit that I upgrade as much as Anthony so it's not all that often I don't have a shiny new one! lol

Glad your getting sorted out though Luvlimum!

I would LOVE to backup and reformat, but I don't know how? I used to be really OCD with my PC child, I would clean and defrag on a regular basis - always keeping the PC running at optimum performance, but I am completely lost with my Mac child?

If I can get some sitters I will drive to Chadstone and do some of the workshops.

T

Luvlimum
1st December 2009, 05:23 PM
Leachy - thanks but I require this printer as it will scan slides and negatives AND print to CD/DVD. These functions are extremely important for what I do. I also hae researched this model, compared to the MP980 and 600 series before that. I almost bought the MP980 but it was fraught with too many issues. This model has just been released and as I had put aside the money already, I saw the reviews on this machine much more favourable and the bugs were well and truly ironed out.

I would love someone to come by and show me a few things with regards to childcare of the Mac. I live in the Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne and would be prepared to thank you with a coffee and cake??? I would just have to check that you are not an axe murderer first. I am good for a laugh if nothing else!

T

grfxninja
1st December 2009, 05:37 PM
Sorry to hear about your frustrations T. But at least be comfortable in the knowledge that you are in the right place at Mactalk.
No doubt there will be a kind soul or two that wouldn't mind visiting and helping you out from the forums.

What version of OS X are you running?

In 15 years of using Macs, I have never had to do a format and reinstall. I have chosen to do it on the odd occasion (system upgrades etc.) but have never needed to, so I would leave that as the absolute last resort :)

Luvlimum
1st December 2009, 05:41 PM
I am running Snow Leopard Version 10.6.2 and I wouldn't know the difference between that and a gumboot on a good day! LOL.

T

MrJesseRoss
1st December 2009, 06:03 PM
That explains why you can't find Quicktime Pro. It's not installed by default in Snow Leopard. You'll need to install it from the SL disc.

nibbles
1st December 2009, 06:28 PM
That explains why you can't find Quicktime Pro. It's not installed by default in Snow Leopard. You'll need to install it from the SL disc.

Mine was still installed, it was in the utilities folder instead of the normal app's folder

iCarllovesapple
1st December 2009, 06:32 PM
Once you install it from the Snow Leopard disk it appears in Utilities, in the Applications folder.

TheKeddi
1st December 2009, 07:11 PM
Why do people say that a reformat is the "LAST" thing you ever want to do?

it gives you a fresh start, if you back up all your stuff like your supposed to then it's not that big a deal.

It's never a last resort for me, it's actually a welcome start.

Opinions always differ though and not everyone thinks the same!

Reformatting on a mac is so simple as every mac comes with it's own reformatting disks and you just follow the prompts. Make sure to get a nice external hard drive first and back up all your stuff!

topgearguy
1st December 2009, 07:25 PM
what if you have really important files?

Geoff3DMN
1st December 2009, 07:28 PM
what if you have really important files?

Mine are backed up elsewhere and they can be easily copied back onto a freshly formatted machine after I've used the original install files/disks to reinstall the software that I use.

If you can't do that for a reformat how do you expect to be able to do it after a hardware failure?

leachy
1st December 2009, 08:03 PM

it gives you a fresh start, if you back up all your stuff like your supposed to then it's not that big a deal.

Opinions always differ though and not everyone thinks the same!

Reformatting on a mac is so simple as every mac comes with it's own reformatting disks and you just follow the prompts. Make sure to get a nice external hard drive first and back up all your stuff!

Saying a format is last resort is usually related to Windows repair work but I completely agree with you when it comes to Mac, because it is so easy. Why spend 3 hours fixing something when you can backup your data and be up and running fresh and clean in 1.5 hours!

ozron
1st December 2009, 11:35 PM
If you need help in one-on-one sessions, I'm happy to offer my time for a few hours on the weekend to help you sort out your Mac in exchange for a coffee. I've been a family & friends desktop fixer-upperer for many years now. :)

I've pretty much sorted out my wife on her iMac, although she's still running Leopard. She used to be quite comfortable on Windows and is quite happy with the Mac as it's been setup now. Only problems seem to occur when my young son gets on it and has a play...

Regarding QuickTime Pro, when I upgraded to Snow Leopard I had to selectively install it from the install disk. When installed it's listed under Utilities - QuickTime Player 7, and I had to re-enter the QT Pro registration. Worked fine then.

Lutze
2nd December 2009, 01:02 AM
Already one year… IMO you would benefit from someone going to your house to help you out. Have a set of questions ready.

You will always find a mac user that can help. I've done 4 house calls in recent weeks to help out new users and people with poorly computers. Beer and pizza is welcome (if you live in Mundaring, Perth you know why!).

TheKeddi
2nd December 2009, 07:55 AM
Mine are backed up elsewhere and they can be easily copied back onto a freshly formatted machine after I've used the original install files/disks to reinstall the software that I use.

If you can't do that for a reformat how do you expect to be able to do it after a hardware failure?

Exactly what I was thinking. Everyone should be backing up on a regular basis, online if they can, just in case! or at least to an external hard drive or USB stick for the important things.

Perhaps we should do a big thing about backing up sometime?

Luvlimum
2nd December 2009, 02:20 PM
You will always find a mac user that can help. I've done 4 house calls in recent weeks to help out new users and people with poorly computers. Beer and pizza is welcome (if you live in Mundaring, Perth you know why!). Ha ha ha - I am more than happy to provide beer, coffee, pizza for anyone that would like to come and honour me with their support, sorry I don't live in Perth Lutze - but if ever I do!!

Ozron, Do you live near the Knox District in Melbourne? I would love for you pop by on a weekend, and please, feel free to bring your wife too. If you have kids, I have a 4 and 5 year old and a big old trampoline in the backyard!

I will message you with more details.

In the meantime, my gorgeous MT people, and I may even keep my iMac just so I can continue to chat with the awesome people on this equally awesome website!!! - I am very in love with you all as I have never yet been made to feel like a complete idiot and I cannot thank you enough!.

In the meant time, and getting back to my original problem ....

Q1. Which one of these drivers for my Canon MP990 do I download, or do I download all of them?

Q2. Should I delete old installs, and if I do where do I go to delete them?

Txx

glacierdave
2nd December 2009, 03:22 PM
http://img.skitch.com/20091202-pgawqn57hc6p83f4ybhu4j998s.preview.jpg (http://skitch.com/glacierdave/nj3eb/my-baby-and-i-have-not-bonded-page-2-mactalk-forums)
Click for full size (http://skitch.com/glacierdave/nj3eb/my-baby-and-i-have-not-bonded-page-2-mactalk-forums) - Uploaded with plasq (http://plasq.com)'s Skitch (http://skitch.com)

I presume you'd need the first two. Perhaps the third - I know ICA as a Citrix client which isn't relevant here. I'm not that familiar with Canon MFP's, I'm using mostly HP networked laser printers here.

I'm relatively new to Apple but I'd expect you'd be able to just install latest drivers over the top of anything that's already there.

Hope that helps.

leachy
2nd December 2009, 05:01 PM
http://img.skitch.com/20091202-pgawqn57hc6p83f4ybhu4j998s.preview.jpg (http://skitch.com/glacierdave/nj3eb/my-baby-and-i-have-not-bonded-page-2-mactalk-forums)
Click for full size (http://skitch.com/glacierdave/nj3eb/my-baby-and-i-have-not-bonded-page-2-mactalk-forums) - Uploaded with plasq (http://plasq.com)'s Skitch (http://skitch.com)

I presume you'd need the first two. Perhaps the third - I know ICA as a Citrix client which isn't relevant here. I'm not that familiar with Canon MFP's, I'm using mostly HP networked laser printers here.

I'm relatively new to Apple but I'd expect you'd be able to just install latest drivers over the top of anything that's already there.

Hope that helps.

Just to be safe I would remove everything you have installed for the printer, delete the printer from the Printers section of Preferences and then install the new software all fresh. I had some trouble with my Canon printer a while back and hats what I did to get it to work.

hangdog
2nd December 2009, 05:50 PM
Luvlimum, if you're having all kinds of other problems with your iMac, I would also suggest a nuke-and-reinstall ("it's the only way to be sure!") after backing up your important files.

You can't go wrong with ozron. I bought a monitor from him, and picked it up from his wife when she was in the area. Great people to deal with.

If you are really stuck for help, I'm one house away from Knoxfield and have a 3-year-old girl who loves to play, but I'm generally more comfortable with breaking my own Macs.:D

Luvlimum
2nd December 2009, 08:04 PM
ha hangdog I have to laugh. OnI just noticed to top right corner of the posts states the Suburb people live in and yours says Ferntree Gully - I too am in Ferntree Gully, but I always put Melbourne cause I am just that little extra careful about giving too much away. In saying that however I think I am fairly safe here with the MacTalk crew!

I cannot believe my printer problems have given birth to a wonderful new idea for Suburban workshops etc. Specially for those of us who are born and bred PC users. The transition can be really traumatic! At least for me it was - LOL.

I have deleted the Canon Printer out of the Preferences, but should I delete all the files that were installed as well, or will they just sit there happily?

T

brian_g
3rd December 2009, 10:36 AM
I've pretty much sorted out my wife on her iMac, although she's still running Leopard. She used to be quite comfortable on Windows and is quite happy with the Mac as it's been setup now. Only problems seem to occur when my young son gets on it and has a play...
Perhaps a seperate account for your son or guest account?

decryption
3rd December 2009, 10:42 AM
I moved the discussion about the workshops thing to a new thread: http://forums.mactalk.com.au/14/77918-mactalk-hands-workshops-support-organising-thread.html

ozron
3rd December 2009, 07:12 PM
Perhaps a seperate account for your son or guest account?

Hey he has his own account (in Mac OSX and Winslow Bootcamp), and his own MacBook, and his own Touch, and his own Xbox 360, and his own... Don't you know, it's more fun playing with other people's stuff!

Currawong
3rd December 2009, 10:23 PM
Sad to see nobody has any idea about tracking down issues on a Mac. Lets start with the slowness:

First, install iStat menus, and switch on the network, disk activity and memory menus. As well, make sure that Time Machine shows when it is backing up in the menu bar. When your Mac is running slow, you can simply glance up and see if anything significant is happening. Are the CPUs maxed? Is there heavy disk activity? Is Time Machine backing up? You can click on the CPU meter to see which applications are going nuts, and from the memory menu click and see what apps are using the most memory.

Now I think of it, do you have a virtual Windows install? If so, have you told Time Machine to NOT back those up? If not, you'll have a very slow Mac.

I reckon we can solve this. Sure a fresh install might nuke the one program or thing installed that was causing a problem, but it doesn't tell you WHAT it was.

brian_g
3rd December 2009, 10:45 PM
Sad to see nobody has any idea about tracking down issues on a Mac. Lets start with the slowness:

Good post Currawong. A page of these tips would be nice, ie don't let time machine backups parallels images. Another was Entourage Mailbox - it was one big file and when ever it changed it was backed up entirely. At work this was a gig of mail (sad I know) so I switched to mail.app

brian_g
3rd December 2009, 10:47 PM
Hey he has his own account (in Mac OSX and Winslow Bootcamp), and his own MacBook, and his own Touch, and his own Xbox 360, and his own... Don't you know, it's more fun playing with other people's stuff!

Tell me about it. My wife has her own MacBook now AND an account on my iMac, yet I get home and find Facebook logged in with her account....

I avoid the temptation to make status updates in her name... ;)

black painter
6th December 2009, 11:09 AM
know the feeling.... Its a nice change to come home and its all in my accounts. About issues I need to reinstall snow leopard on two machines. Both have weird networking issues and its very slow to connect between the two. I think its just the mac book at fault but I might as well do both.

banjo
6th December 2009, 11:31 AM

I just did complete reinstall a few days ago after I attached an eBayed Cinema display to my Mac Mini. It's like I have a whole new computer! All the issues are gone, it boots up about 30 seconds, Safari is no longer a dog, and everything else works brilliantly (and the screen is, while a bit smaller than my old one, far superior).

Anyway, I suggest Luvlimum take up the suggestions for some one-on-one tutelage. If you can make a morning or afternoon out of it, that might involve being walked through a backup-reformat-reinstall process, as well as some basic diagnostic and troubleshooting: like finding and deleting .plist preferences, searching for and removing the residual files, and some of the quirks that many of us take for granted but for most people are strange and annoying.

cejay
6th December 2009, 05:19 PM
Why would a reload improve performance?

We are told that one of the issues with Windows is the registry model and how over time it becomes the cause of many an issue. Yet with no registry, why would a reload make any difference to a Mac? We are also told that Mac OSX doe not suffer the disk fragmentation issues that afflict the Windows OS, so a reload doesn't magically make all the files contiguous.

If the Mac OSX is so awesome in it's awesomeness (and as a 1yr convert I believe it is), then surely a reload of any sort will not achieve the aims that its proponents believe it will. So, either the believers are mistaken in their perception of a performance improvements, or all those people that maintain the Mac OSX is so superior to a Windows OS and cite it's innate stability as one of of the reasons have their own facts wrong....

BTW, in all my years as a Windows user, of various different flavours, I never found the need to perform a reload.

hangdog
6th December 2009, 08:52 PM

For most setups, it's trivially easy and quick to reinstall OS X; sometimes it may be easier and faster to do so than to track down a mysterious problem.

Luvlimum
7th December 2009, 02:49 PM
At the end of all of this. I have downloaded the latest drivers and installed each and everyone of them. I have followed Ted Landau's setup process exactly as he stated in this blog: Setup Secrets for Canon Printers | Ted Landau's User Friendly Blog | The Mac Observer (http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/setup_secrets_for_canon_printers/?utm_campaign=shorturl)

And I am still unable to get this printer working from my Computer. I can see the Canon IJ Network Scanner icon sitting in my menu bar (top of screen), but when I open it to settings, NOTHING appears, there is no list of anything, not even my HP scanner is listed there. I am at a complete loss and very over it all.

Anyone else have a Canon MP990 and successfully connected it to the Mac? I did not have this trouble with my HP Officejet Pro.

Tanya :mad:

leachy
7th December 2009, 02:59 PM
At the end of all of this. I have downloaded the latest drivers and installed each and everyone of them. I have followed Ted Landau's setup process exactly as he stated in this blog: Setup Secrets for Canon Printers | Ted Landau's User Friendly Blog | The Mac Observer (http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/setup_secrets_for_canon_printers/?utm_campaign=shorturl)

And I am still unable to get this printer working from my Computer. I can see the Canon IJ Network Scanner icon sitting in my menu bar (top of screen), but when I open it to settings, NOTHING appears, there is no list of anything, not even my HP scanner is listed there. I am at a complete loss and very over it all.

Anyone else have a Canon MP990 and successfully connected it to the Mac? I did not have this trouble with my HP Officejet Pro.

Tanya :mad:
Does the printer show up in Preferences >> Printers ?

Luvlimum
7th December 2009, 03:56 PM
Does the printer show up in Preferences >> Printers ?

Yes, it does, but I feel trying to scan negatives/Slides etc, I am very limited to the functionality of the Printer by using the standard Scan function in Mac Preferences? I am kind of forced to use the Printer panel and then try and get the image onto my Mac.

Why can't things just be loaded on a Mac the same as on a PC? I don't understand having to install different software to "assist" a Mac talk to peripherals. I am so frustrated.

T

Edited to add: MP Navigator Ex won't even open - keeps telling me "the scanner driver for this printer is not installed, please install it and try again". :mad: :mad: :mad:

leachy
7th December 2009, 04:06 PM
Yes, it does, but I feel trying to scan negatives/Slides etc, I am very limited to the functionality of the Printer by using the standard Scan function in Mac Preferences? I am kind of forced to use the Printer panel and then try and get the image onto my Mac.

Why can't things just be loaded on a Mac the same as on a PC? I don't understand having to install different software to "assist" a Mac talk to peripherals. I am so frustrated.

T

Edited to add: MP Navigator Ex won't even open - keeps telling me "the scanner driver for this printer is not installed, please install it and try again". :mad: :mad: :mad:

OK so you have the MP Navigator software installed. Are you running 10.6 Snow Leopard?

I just want to check some things...

Have you got the top two from the below image installed?

Did you install MP Navigator from the cd or download from the website?

Here is a link (http://support-au.canon.com.au/EN/search?v%3aproject=ABS-EN&binning-state=model%3d%3dPIXMA%20MP990%0Amenu%3d%3dDownloa d%0Aos%3d%3dMac%20OS%20X&) to MP Navigator and MP Navigator 3.0 Opener. Number 6 & 7 in the list. The Navigator 3.0 Opener allows you to press buttons on the printer/scanner and do certain tasks in the software.

Luvlimum
7th December 2009, 04:56 PM
I am running 10.6.2 Snow leopard

I have installed ALL the files listed below in the snapshot

I downloaded MP Navigator from the link provided by Google.

T

leachy
7th December 2009, 05:03 PM
I am running 10.6.2 Snow leopard

I have installed ALL the files listed below in the snapshot

I downloaded MP Navigator from the link provided by Google.

T

Is MP Navigator the same version that I linked to? And was all the original software removed before installing the new software?

Luvlimum
7th December 2009, 05:37 PM
Ok after MUCh and I mean MUCH stuffing around, and don't ask me what I did, but I have managed to get the scanner to work beautifully in Adobe Elements 8 (another recent Mac purchase to send me broke ;) )

I have just loaded Adobe Photoshop Elements onto my Mac and I have to say all my stress about the Printer has almost been eliminated with the joy I am experiencing with Elements 8!! What a sensational little program! I was looking for something to replace Picture It 98 (yeah, LOVED that program), and I reckon I have found it in Elements 8. I love it also because it sees my Canon MP990 and seems to talk VERY nicely to it! It even has settings for scanning of slides and film, although I am not getting too excited about it cause I have yet to try it.

erggh - I am so tired, but happy that I seem to have got it all working, but I must use Adobe Elements to do so which after all is said and done - is not a problem.

Thanks everyone!!
Sheesh :mellow:

Re: MP Navigator. I am not sure if my Navigator is the same as yours, but I will delete mine (assuming this is as simple as moving it to the trash :eek: and I will download from this link you gave me and see if this means I can access the printer via this route).

T

Luvlimum
7th December 2009, 05:50 PM
LEACHY!!!! Holy fatoozle! It works!!! Navigator EX 3.0 works!!!

Crickey! I have no idea what the difference was, but the bloody thing works and I am back to being the gorgeous and devine (yeah right :p ), happy camper I once was. I still have no idea how it happened, but I assume the software my mac required needed to be found in a different location to Ted Landau's??

Thanks buddy!

Tanya

leachy
7th December 2009, 07:14 PM
LEACHY!!!! Holy fatoozle! It works!!! Navigator EX 3.0 works!!!

Crickey! I have no idea what the difference was, but the bloody thing works and I am back to being the gorgeous and devine (yeah right :p ), happy camper I once was. I still have no idea how it happened, but I assume the software my mac required needed to be found in a different location to Ted Landau's??

Thanks buddy!

Tanya

So the version on the Canon website worked. That's great, I bet you have that "bloody finally got this annoying and frustrating thing to work" feeling! :D

Luvlimum
7th December 2009, 08:43 PM
So the version on the Canon website worked. That's great, I bet you have that "bloody finally got this annoying and frustrating thing to work" feeling! :D

YUP! :D

ozron
7th December 2009, 09:47 PM
Great to hear you've sorted out your printer & scanner woes Tanya! MacTalk comes to the rescue again. Another happy camper! And well done Leachy! :)

And so much for having to do a reload...

tranp
8th December 2009, 07:17 AM
I am probably going to get flamed, but anyway..

I think that Windows is easier to understand than Mac OS X. Macs have the advantage of being able to do common tasks easier, but that's due to the bundled iLife software and not due to the OS itself.

This coming from someone who loves Apple products, but also enjoys using Windows.

ozron
8th December 2009, 09:50 AM

I think that Windows is easier to understand than Mac OS X. Macs have the advantage of being able to do common tasks easier, but that's due to the bundled iLife software and not due to the OS itself.

This coming from someone who loves Apple products, but also enjoys using Windows.

If you have a strong background in Unix/Linux like I do, as well as Windows, I think Mac OS X is not much different to Windows and both are easy to understand and troubleshoot. IMHO the main difference is that people's perception is that Windows is harder to use and unreliable, and as a result have to learn to troubleshoot it to a greater depth. In comparison, the perception is that Mac OS "just works" and is more reliable, so there's much less tendency to learn more about it in depth. When there are problems they "appear" to be harder to resolve, but in reality the same troubleshooting methodology that works for Windows works well for Mac OS. Without resorting to "reloading"... which should always be the option of last resort regardless of O/S. However it's the easy way out for some lazy users... ;)

Luvlimum
8th December 2009, 11:20 AM

I can relate to this and have always felt this way, however I have read a lot of what Ozron has said over the past few weeks and am very impressed with his very broad knowledge on BOTH Windows and Mac platforms and what I have come to realise is ..... most of us were raised on Windows, we all knew how to defrag, clear the tmp files and most of us were pretty ofe with the general maintenance and upkeep of the system and we had years and years to learn it slowly. But then some of decided to walk into whole new territory and go the Mac route. After we are well and truly broke from all the software and bits we need to purchase in order to get anywhere, we are usually left scratching our heads wondering why. It's a learning curve. With me, I have simply not had enough time to actually read anything to learn anything. I know that now I have subscribed to Screencasts on line (more $$$), I will set aside time to learn about my iMac and I am sure that once I have invested that time, I may have a very different opinion to now. Now I am thinking I was an idiot to change, but once I get through the learning curve and train myself to think Maclike I might believe it is the best thing I have ever done. ???

Maybe :confused:

torana355
8th December 2009, 11:48 AM
I can relate to this and have always felt this way, however I have read a lot of what Ozron has said over the past few weeks and am very impressed with his very broad knowledge on BOTH Windows and Mac platforms and what I have come to realise is ..... most of us were raised on Windows, we all knew how to defrag, clear the tmp files and most of us were pretty ofe with the general maintenance and upkeep of the system and we had years and years to learn it slowly. But then some of decided to walk into whole new territory and go the Mac route. After we are well and truly broke from all the software and bits we need to purchase in order to get anywhere, we are usually left scratching our heads wondering why. It's a learning curve. With me, I have simply not had enough time to actually read anything to learn anything. I know that now I have subscribed to Screencasts on line (more $$$), I will set aside time to learn about my iMac and I am sure that once I have invested that time, I may have a very different opinion to now. Now I am thinking I was an idiot to change, but once I get through the learning curve and train myself to think Maclike I might believe it is the best thing I have ever done. ???

Maybe :confused:

Yeah i had the same issue when i stated using macs for my trade 10 years ago. At first it is a learning curve to be able to do the more complex tasks on OS9 and OSX but once you know what your doing you will never turn back to a virus ridden PC. Just knowing programs like Perian, appzapper and Super Duper makes things so much easier.

banjo
12th December 2009, 10:37 AM

Somebody with some more in depth knowledge than me might know why, but it's a bit disingenuous to think that just because you don't know why that it must be wrong. Talking from recent experience, it worked.

Maybe after four years of installing and uninstalling programs, two OS upgrades, one bootcamp install and removal, and 6 hours a day every day of use just got a bit much for the system to cope with. It happens, even with the glorious Mac OS, it happens.

One could spend days trying to track down each issue individually, which may or may not fix all of the problems. Or, one could spend a couple of hours reinstalling the OS and applications and have all the issues disappear.

If the Mac OSX is so awesome in it's awesomeness (and as a 1yr convert I believe it is), then surely a reload of any sort will not achieve the aims that its proponents believe it will. So, either the believers are mistaken in their perception of a performance improvements, or all those people that maintain the Mac OSX is so superior to a Windows OS and cite it's innate stability as one of of the reasons have their own facts wrong....

I find it rather fallacious to equate those who found performance gains (or rather, regains) with religious zealots (believers), but not proponents of OS X as the Jebus OS the same way. Just because you haven't had any problems in 1 year of use (which is nothing compared the lengths of time others have been using Macs), doesn't mean problems, even chronic ones, don't exist.

Reinstalling the OS fixed many performance issues on my machine. Booting happens in less than 30 seconds now where before it took over 90 seconds. Opening Safari no longer monopolises the CPU for two minutes before allowing a web page to open. Quicktime plays HD content with no issues anymore, and EyeTV no longer skips frames.

Believe it or not, things work better now. While I might have fixed most or all of the issues by troubleshooting them all individually, I saved time and frustration and now have a system that works like new. Sure, a reinstall may not be required for most, but for some it's just the ticket.

I think those who hold OS X on a pedestal, above criticism, are the ones who are mistaken. Don't get me wrong, it's the best OS out (IMO), but it's not perfect. A cursory glance down the help section of this site or on Apple's official forums will show you just how "not perfect" it is.

cejay
12th December 2009, 02:47 PM
. Deleted.