PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Weather AU easter egg.

philz
1st December 2009, 03:07 PM
We have added a secret hidden easter egg in Pocket Weather AU for all you die hard MacTalk fan boys (and girls). Here are the steps you need to take to activate it.

Step 1. Navigate to the in app settings screen.
Step 2. Rotate the phone 90 degrees four times.
Step 3. Click on "Push Setup"
Step 4. Click on "Sound Alert".
Step 5. Select the new "MacTalk" sound.
Step 6. Quit the application and relaunch it.

Now you will get the famous MacTalk intro voice and each time Anthony releases a new podcast you will get a push notification.

http://img.skitch.com/20091126-bgraqh7jxk6jsbydgd7rsnge2r.png

tintinaujapon
1st December 2009, 03:37 PM
Haha. Well done.

fother
1st December 2009, 03:56 PM
cool :thumbup:

nando
1st December 2009, 04:19 PM
LOL fun now just awaiting for a new podcast ;)

andytlr
1st December 2009, 04:27 PM
Haha, great idea.

But, can I change the sound back to wind and still get the notification?

Anthonyw
1st December 2009, 06:28 PM
Too funny.

Exocet
1st December 2009, 06:57 PM
Haha, great idea.

But, can I change the sound back to wind and still get the notification?

Yeah, this :)

ZacDavies
1st December 2009, 07:35 PM
Wish it had the sound effect before the "mactalk" personally ;)

Still, love your work! And ditto on the Exo / Andy question.

rustyshelf
1st December 2009, 08:41 PM
Can you change the sound and still get the mactalk push, currently not...because it's a feature we just snuck in for the kicks and in the current implementation that would give no one a way to back out of getting the mactalk push messages. We can change it in a future release based on the feedback we get here.

I think you need some background though: You see it was late one night just before 2.0 released and the conversation went something like:
Philz: I have this awesome idea for a feature and you have to put it into the client because I've already coded the server portion!
Me: Are you insane? We're in final testing!!!
Philz: C'mon don't you at least want to know what it is
Me: Ok, fine
Philz: [explains it]
Me: That's pretty funny, but you're still insane!
Philz: [begs me, and offers me his first born child], and then points out that he let me keep the text 'Find Locations By Awesomeness' on the add location screen (which he thought was kinda cheesy)
Me: Ewww keep your kid, I'll put it in.

So you see we didn't exactly plan it as a full on feature, more just as a funny thing that might be useful to some die hard mactalkers. And if you want to change your notification noise back to something else then your obviously just not die hard enough! Why if Bruce Willis were here right now he'd say... ;)

ZacDavies
1st December 2009, 09:15 PM
'Find Locations By Awesomeness'

I didn't even know this exists! AWESOMENESS.

LithgowLights
1st December 2009, 09:20 PM
LOL fun now just awaiting for a new podcast ;)

Cool easter egg, but I gave up listening to the podcasts 6 to 8 months ago.

ZacDavies
1st December 2009, 09:28 PM

lol why.. swearing?

griffmiester
1st December 2009, 09:34 PM

Awwwww...

*Sniff*

That means that you've never heard me on the Podcast then.

:cry:

philz
1st December 2009, 09:43 PM
So you see we didn't exactly plan it as a full on feature, more just as a funny thing that might be useful to some die hard mactalkers. And if you want to change your notification noise back to something else then your obviously just not die hard enough! Why if Bruce Willis were here right now he'd say... ;)

Haha, I did think about adding to the feature but as rustyshelf says this is the for the dead hard podcast fans like me. The worrying thing is my wife has started copying the Mactalk intro every time it goes off which is freakin me out.

I would like to know if Anthony still has it on or if the "Mactalk" is too much for him too? :)

LithgowLights
1st December 2009, 09:48 PM
lol why.. swearing?

Hahah no. The topics, while extremely pro Apple and Anti everyone else did not really worry me (I'm an iPhone fan, but while I own a Macbook pro I hate using it). The language was fine, and helped make it a good podcast I looked forward to. Griffmiester, nope I never had the pleasure, sorry.

I wont say why I dropped listening to it, suffice to say it was not the one-eyed topics, the incessesent (sp??) babbeling, childish jokes, crap humour, as they all were positives IMHO - it was one of the regulars who simply got on my nerves to the point I was not enjoying the podcasts at all. But we all have our differences, and thats what makes us unique (as opposed to eunuchs like Linux fanboys)

decryption
1st December 2009, 09:49 PM
Haha, I did think about adding to the feature but as rustyshelf says this is the for the dead hard podcast fans like me. The worrying thing is my wife has started copying the Mactalk intro every time it goes off which is freakin me out.

I would like to know if Anthony still has it on or if the "Mactalk" is too much for him too? :)

As much as I love this easter egg, I had to turn it off. I hear that damn sound too often and have no need to know when the next podcast is out, as I'm the one who uploads it! haha

I feel bad now :(

LithgowLights
1st December 2009, 09:51 PM

As you should.... :)

philz
1st December 2009, 10:02 PM
As much as I love this easter egg, I had to turn it off. I hear that damn sound too often and have no need to know when the next podcast is out, as I'm the one who uploads it! haha

Don't feel bad, it was just a bit of fun. If only I knew your device id I could just switch it back on for you ;)

rustyshelf
1st December 2009, 10:52 PM
Don't feel bad, it was just a bit of fun. If only I knew your device id I could just switch it back on for you ;)

Can't be that hard to figure out, he would have been the first person to sign up?

ZacDavies
3rd December 2009, 12:38 PM
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/712/imagekf.jpg

It works! :D

philz
3rd December 2009, 02:09 PM
I thought there might only be 3 people using the MacTalk push sound, but I checked the database and there are 45!! So there are some die hard MacTalk fans that can take hearing that sound constantly. (I am one of those people)

Great wallpaper Donnie Darko!

fother
3rd December 2009, 02:12 PM
Interesting - I turned my Push sound back to Wub, but I heard the Mactalk sound for the podcast note. That's fine with me, but I had the impression it wouldn't happen?

philz
3rd December 2009, 02:15 PM
Interesting - I turned my Push sound back to Wub, but I heard the Mactalk sound for the podcast note. That's fine with me, but I had the impression it wouldn't happen?

You can't escape the MacTalk sound!

If you opened the application again it should successfully send your push settings to the server and stop the sound. Only 44 people now :(

fother
3rd December 2009, 02:25 PM
ahh, guess I hadn't re-opened the app since changing it. Now I have. Oops :)
(I like getting the podcast notification, but prefer the wub sound for the weather notes)

cheers though - great easter egg :D

philz
3rd December 2009, 02:28 PM
I am really thinking about changing it so it uses your last chosen sound for the weather alerts and just the MacTalk sound for the podcast notifications.

It might be best before we all go crazy from the MacTalk sound :)

fother
3rd December 2009, 02:41 PM
I am really thinking about changing it so it uses your last chosen sound for the weather alerts and just the MacTalk sound for the podcast notifications.

It might be best before we all go crazy from the MacTalk sound :)

:thumbup: Sounds great to me!

mitty
3rd December 2009, 02:46 PM
I wonder if the Mactalk Sound and the Law and Order Sound come from the same place.

The Law & Order Doink Doink Sound, You Know Exactly What I'm Talking About (http://blog.rickbreslin.com/blog/law_and_order_doink_doink_sound)

Exocet
3rd December 2009, 03:21 PM
I wonder if the Mactalk Sound and the Law and Order Sound come from the same place.

The Law & Order Doink Doink Sound, You Know Exactly What I'm Talking About (http://blog.rickbreslin.com/blog/law_and_order_doink_doink_sound)

http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-doink.gif