PDA

View Full Version : Time machine newbie noobster.

riffbear
30th November 2009, 12:47 PM
Im just wanting to know a few things as i would like to re start my mac to its factory settings.
Ive had it for 2 years now and its become a little sluggish etc.

Once i have backed everything up to time machine.

1. Am i able to just select a few of the programs to be re installed. Such as Adobe photo shop, Illustrator and Transmission (torrent program) and all my itunes and iphoto library?

Or 2. Is Time machine going to re install all existing software on my HDD?
As that is not what i want to do.

I guess over the past 2 years i have tried to download many diff apps etc and found they either do not work properly or have no use for what i intended.

I just want to free up allot of the hdd as its a 250 gig hdd but only have 67gig avail.
Ive tried to uninstall a few things.
But would rather go back to fact settings and start a fresh without having to have everything thats on the hdd again.

Thanks in advance.

gehenna
30th November 2009, 12:54 PM
If you want to test to see if it's going to be any faster by doing this, you can create a 2nd user account in your System Preferences and log in as that user. Try out a few of your usual programs and then see if things are going any faster.

While it's normal for any OS to slow down a little over time, OS X generally does a good job of avoiding this by constantly optimising your data on the hard drive. If you are still a bit slow when using the new user you may well have a problem with your hard drive or memory. Running the hardware test application on your install disk would point you in the right direction for any hardware problems.

But if your test user account is a lot snappier then you could go ahead with your original plan, or look into some apps that are used to maintain your user profile. Main Menu (http://creativebe.com/mainmenu/) is one that I can think of.

Basically I think a reinstall of the OS could be avoided as I've never needed to do this on any of my machines - and they get used plenty.

riffbear
30th November 2009, 06:39 PM
If you want to test to see if it's going to be any faster by doing this, you can create a 2nd user account in your System Preferences and log in as that user. Try out a few of your usual programs and then see if things are going any faster.

While it's normal for any OS to slow down a little over time, OS X generally does a good job of avoiding this by constantly optimising your data on the hard drive. If you are still a bit slow when using the new user you may well have a problem with your hard drive or memory. Running the hardware test application on your install disk would point you in the right direction for any hardware problems.

But if your test user account is a lot snappier then you could go ahead with your original plan, or look into some apps that are used to maintain your user profile. Main Menu (http://creativebe.com/mainmenu/) is one that I can think of.

Basically I think a reinstall of the OS could be avoided as I've never needed to do this on any of my machines - and they get used plenty.

Thanks,
I shall try this.
tho i do want to free up my Mac and start from scratch again.
There are all these programs running in the activity monitor and i don't even know what the hell they are! For instance Airport base station. It wont let me stop it running! Also notification exec??? Wont let me quit it.
So you get the drift of how this Mac is running ?

So basically if i back up everything in Time machine. Can i just re install the programs i want??

Thanks.