PDA

View Full Version : Dual iTunes Libraries

pzahara
29th November 2009, 11:03 AM
I am having trouble maintaining dual iTunes libraries and could use some advice on how to make it easier.

Why 2 libraries?
I have my life on a MacBookPro that I carry everywhere. When I am on the road I like to listen to my music either on the mac or on my iPhone. All my music lives on both devices in .mp3 format so I can save disk space.

When I am at home I can plug my MacBookPro into my stereo and listen to top quality music because I have a hard drive with all my music in .aiff format (uncompressed).

I have a mp3 library and a .aiff library and can load the appropriate one when I start up iTunes.

The problem is trying to keep the two libraries synched. When I first load a new CD, I tend to use iTunes to import it to the external hard drive in .aiff, then without closing that library I use Amadeus Pro to convert the .aiff files to .mp3 and save them to the appropriate folder on my MacBookPro hard drive. Later when I have all that day's CD's finished I swap libraries and import the new .mp3's to the .mp3 library.

The problem is sometimes I get interrupted or forget and end up with different music on the two libraries. Any idea on how I can keep two parallel libraries with the two different file formats in synch? Can I import to both libraries at the same time?

Thanks

The_Hawk
29th November 2009, 02:11 PM
Can you use automator to set something up?

pzahara
29th November 2009, 07:46 PM
I guess I could use Automator or AppleScript to sort something out but I didn't think I could be the only person with this problem and I was hoping there would be a simple answer to the problem. It looks like maybe I will need to create something for myself, unless anyone else has a better idea.

ClivePwned
30th November 2009, 12:02 PM
Doesn't iTunes 9 have a feature that syncs libraries on two machines?