PDA

View Full Version : Car Trip Logger for iPhone

decryption
29th November 2009, 12:03 AM
I'm tying to keep a track of my driving (as I'm still learning) and would like an app for my iPhone that I can start when I get in and stop when I finish - that will record my journey via GPS and let me export that to a Google Earth file, as well as record the start & end time, as well as the date (export that info to a CSV/text file/email). Bonus points if it works in airplane mode.

Anyone for any suggestions? :)

opilot87
29th November 2009, 12:33 AM
Try Path Tracker. The description...

Record your path, save it to the web, and share it with friends!

Path Tracker displays the distance you've travelled, elapsed time, average speed, latitude, longitude, and latitude.

On PathTracks.com you can view your paths in Google Maps, export your paths as KML or GPX, and view your speed and pace at every point.

Costs $2.49

I bought it, but I have since deleted it because I never ever used it. Not because it was crap (no idea if it is), but I didn't really have a use for it and I don't like having heaps of apps on my iPhone that I will probably never use.

Ollie

cjm19
29th November 2009, 07:02 AM
Or itrail also not tested yet.

wmyeoh
29th November 2009, 07:07 AM
Trails does exactly that, and works in offline mode too. It's primarily for bikers, bikers, runners and walkers, but no reason why it wouldn't work for slobs in cars too ;)

kyte
29th November 2009, 08:25 AM
I'd recommend Motion-X GPS. Does all you want including send to google maps and google earth.

Comes in a lite flavour as well as paid
iTunes Store (http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/motionx-gps-lte/id293935935?mt=8)

The description doesn't distinguish between the two, so try the Lite and if it seems right but missing something important....

[edit] forgot to mention, there are integrated ipod controls as well, and it (and other GPS apps) do not seem to work in airplane mode. Or, if they do, it takes way too long to get a lock. I tried it with two, gave up at 5 minutes.

will
29th November 2009, 08:50 AM
Pathtracker is A1!

I have it, use it and can highly recommend it.

The developer is helper and responsive.

I use it bushwalking, driving, riding. The best thing about this app is that it will record your progress when you have a lost 3G and otherwise.

You send your track/path to the www- very easy and then you can view your path on the www. You can download the image, use a number of views.

It is my 2nd fav app and most used app.

Vote 1 Pathtracker!

decryption
29th November 2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone - will give the apps a workout over the next few days. Will review these on Can Touch This and report back in this thread.