PDA

View Full Version : my computer will only boot off it's drive in safe mode

tezz27000
28th November 2009, 10:53 PM
Short Story...
My computer will only boot in safe mode and in normal mode displays grey apple that turns into a grey cross. Surface scan in techtool pro 4.5.1 passed

Long Story... (all the issues I've had as they are all back to back and most likely cause by what sloved the previous one).
When i first got my macbook i already had a 500gb hdd in my macmini running 10.6 (or 10.6.1 I forget) and as soon as a had the macbook running off this drive it would give me one error for each and every movie file that was visible (in an open folder or on the desktop) saying quick look helper had unexpectedly quit. I tried everything and for some reason ended up changing all the permissions on the computer which royally screwed it up. anyway after repairing permissions in disk utility the error messages stopped but shortly after start up it was giving me a couple of dozen error messages saying something about .kext's (if requested i can supply full text of this error message) so i tried reinstalling the OS and since in 10.6 there is no archive and install (without messing around in terminal) i just ran the snow leopard disc which brought me back to 10.6 then I upgraded to 10.6.2 and restarting a couple of times over a day or so. After a few restarts I found the computer wouldn't start (it chimed, loaded up the apple symbol and loading wheel and then after a few minutes replaced the apple symbol with a crossed circle) I tried running the snow leopard disc again and this time not upgrading but after about 3 restarts the same thing happened. now i can only start up in safe boot mode or off my backup drive which still displays a few dozen of the .kext errors at start up. Sorry about the length of this description I would appreciate absolutely any help or ideas.

tezz27000
29th November 2009, 07:18 AM
i think i may have solved the problem by using the steps given here by Apple (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1892)