PDA

View Full Version : HELP! USB Problem.

chrism182
28th November 2009, 09:43 PM
Hey guys,

Recently rearranged my desk and had a big clean out, which meant I unplugged everything from the Mac and moved it away from the desk.

I've done my rearrangement, and I've hooked everything back up the way it was before, and everytime I boot OSX, the following error occurs..

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5624/screenshot20091128at103.png

At first I thought it might be the power supply for my external HDD, but even when I boot up with no USB peripherals connected, I still get the same error twice. I've tried resetting the PRAM, plugging the power into a different source, etc.

1 out of 3 of the USB ports are deactivated, I am using the one USB for the keyboard.

Really needing some help on this.

Cheers,
Chris.

Lumus
28th November 2009, 11:43 PM
Could lint or something metallic (like a staple) have gotten caught in the port somehow and is shorting the contacts?

chrism182
29th November 2009, 07:25 AM
Could lint or something metallic (like a staple) have gotten caught in the port somehow and is shorting the contacts?

I just had a look and couldn't see anything relevant, but it's quite possible since I dusted the back before I put it back on the desk.

Any special way I could clean the ports better? Maybe compressed air?

Brains
29th November 2009, 08:12 AM
The 'drawing too much power' alert also appears if there is a short somewhere. If you're using a USB hub anywhere, check that its power supply is working properly. You could also try swapping cables around, as one of those may have failed.

chrism182
29th November 2009, 03:37 PM
Can't be that as it still hapens when I have no USB things connected.

Lumus
29th November 2009, 04:09 PM
Do the cables feel loose when plugged in? The ports could have been damaged somehow, and the fault only became apparent when you unplugged them.

chrism182
29th November 2009, 05:07 PM
Do the cables feel loose when plugged in? The ports could have been damaged somehow, and the fault only became apparent when you unplugged them.

They do a little bit actually. Anyway I'll be taking it into the local computer repair store sometime this week so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for your help.

Brains
30th November 2009, 07:43 PM
Can't be that as it still hapens when I have no USB things connected.

The only time that can happen is if the onboard USB sockets are damaged or shorting internally -- off to the Apple doctors with it!

(and if it is the sockets that are damaged, you're up for a new logicboard, and if you don't have warranty or APP, you're up for a hefty repair fee)

chrism182
30th November 2009, 07:44 PM
The only time that can happen is if the onboard USB sockets are damaged or shorting internally -- off to the Apple doctors with it!

(and if it is the sockets that are damaged, you're up for a new logicboard, and if you don't have warranty or APP, you're up for a hefty repair fee)

Gulp.. How much are we talking? And is there a chance of getting it repaired at a local computer repair store?

Brains
30th November 2009, 08:11 PM
A grand plus, and no.

Take it to your nearest authorised Apple service point (do remember to book it in first) and ask them to evaluate and prepare a quote. It could be something simple, like a staple sucked into the machine or you've had a toddler go "oo, slot!" and start feeding five cent pieces into it and one is shorting the connectors out (don't laugh, I've seen that).