PDA

View Full Version : "Optimizing volume"

elvis
11th July 2004, 08:31 PM
You've all been there. You go to install a package on OS X, and at the end the installer sits there for a while performing the "Optimizing volume" step.

What on earth is this step? And what exactly is it "optimizing"? It sounds like a load of marketing drivel to me, but then again I'm used to rather verbose package manager reports after living with Linux for so long.

decryption
11th July 2004, 10:35 PM
Maybe it's just running fsck? I actually have no idea :P

Currawong
12th July 2004, 08:23 AM
To see what it's running, open up Terminal, click on the green button to make the window full screen, and type in: ps -ajx.

You'll see a process called redo_prebinding (or maybe it's update_prebinding the installer uses, I can't remember). What the system is doing is, for each application, it pre-binds the libraries that app uses so that when you start up the program, it opens in a couple of seconds, instead of a couple of minutes.

pipsqeek
12th July 2004, 11:33 AM
I was actually always wondering what this was too.

Friends and I use to make comments on marketting jargon, shit etc....

I wish it kinda did say what the command in Terminal says, it would look more geeky. :)

Steve

WonderBoy
12th July 2004, 10:49 PM
You'd think Apple would include the optimizing as part of the install time. Rather than getting to 100% and then having to go through another wait.

Do other flavors of Unix do this?

Currawong
13th July 2004, 09:49 AM
They improved on this behaviour - the installer only optimises what it installed, so you'll notice a single app installed will only optimise for a few seconds, whereas a system upgrade takes ages, as possibly all apps have to be pre-bound again for new system libraries.

elvis
13th July 2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by WonderBoy@Jul 12 2004, 10:49 PM
Do other flavors of Unix do this?
./config
make
make install

err... nope. No "optimizing" here. :)