PDA

View Full Version : What Temperature Of Cpu Is Too High?

shtan72
6th August 2005, 05:01 PM
I have a 12 inch PB and recently put a widget that tells what the CPU temperature is. I'vr seen it go up to 45-50 deg celsius sometiimes. Is this too high? How accurate is the widget? What's the significance of running the PB on higher temps?

Danamania
6th August 2005, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by shtan72@Aug 6 2005, 05:01 PM
I have a 12 inch PB and recently put a widget that tells what the CPU temperature is. I'vr seen it go up to 45-50 deg celsius sometiimes. Is this too high? How accurate is the widget? What's the significance of running the PB on higher temps?
Depends on the CPU in question. Some modern CPUs (including some G4s and not a small number of AMDs) have manufacturer defined maximum temps nearing 110C. Yes, that's high enough to boil water. The days where CPUs don't run well over 40C are long gone, and while it won't hurt them to be cooled down that low expending the affort and worry to keep them down at those levels isn't worth it - of course with a powerbook, keeping it cool enough to not physically annoy you is another matter entirely :). As for accuracy, Usually the temperature readings from PPC chips themselves is accurate to +/- 5C, which is a pretty wide range - worth keeping in mind too

I'm sure there are people around here who could tell you the exact specs of the G4 in your model powerbook, and tell you that chip's exact maximum operating temperature.

dana

Rayd
6th August 2005, 05:17 PM
my quicksilver use to bum out at 57.3 celcius but thats a 7440

danno74
6th August 2005, 06:25 PM
To give you a rough guide, my iMac G5 runs at around 60-65C when set at 'Automatic' processor performance, but jumps up to around 75-80C when set to 'Highest' processor performance, which is pretty hot, but it's a G5, so is to be expected. My G5 tower at work runs about 20C cooler than that on the same settings. By my calculations, a G4 processor should be running even cooler than that.

Goodbye
6th August 2005, 09:46 PM
My iMac G5 sits between 60-80 most of the time, nothing to worry about :)

yinyang
6th August 2005, 10:06 PM
15" G4 pBook (1.5Ghz) with 1 GB RAM - with Azureus running, maybe also watching VLC, mail, safari, iChat, iTunes, a dozen or so widgets, quicksilver, temperature monitor and activity monitor, it will rarely go past 60?, and even if it does, the fan will kick in and it may reach 63?, before coming back down to 55-59?.

spotlight re-indexing or photshop elements of iPhoto (on top of the above) will usually push things past the 60 mark.

btw temperature monitor lets you monitor the temps of 4 different areas, so is pretty accurate.

edit i had actually put in the degrees celsius symbol via the special characters menu, so am surprised to see a ? symbol...!?

Rayd
6th August 2005, 10:13 PM
the g5 proccessor is designed to run at high temps, but the G4's arnt.. so if it goes anywhere near 60 its too hot.

Byrd
7th August 2005, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by ipod_man@Aug 6 2005, 10:13 PM
the g5 proccessor is designed to run at high temps, but the G4's arnt.. so if it goes anywhere near 60 its too hot.
There are a few other threads discussing CPU temperature:

Jimbo's dying G4 (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=2642&hl=)

Is heat really an issue? (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=9043&hl=cpu+temperature)

iBook G4: fan on constantly (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=3496&hl=)

In most of these threads - yes G4 and G5 CPUs run hot - but if it's not crashing or doing anything wacky, don't worry about it.

JB

step_andy
29th September 2006, 09:09 PM
Just installed Temperature Monitor on my MBP and it reports Core 1 at 89 C, core 2 at 86 C and HD at 42 C.

MBP is elevated on a stand with plenty of air flow.
It is on 24/7 running BOINC.

Do I need to worry about the heat? I did some searching, and most people report 80 C under max load.

The room temperature is about 25C. I hate to think what will happen in summer. :unsure:

g3monster
29th September 2006, 10:41 PM
it is a little hot but wasent there a problem with hot MBPs and the thermal paste not being applied properly? Personally I dont think it is a problem because I believe those CPUs run in the 70s regularly in PC laptops and since the MBP is even thinner then the temps will probably be a little higher. Maybe something to get checked tho...

forgie
29th September 2006, 10:53 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ipod_man &#064; Aug 6 2005, 10&#58;13 PM) 87662</div>

the g5 proccessor is designed to run at high temps, but the G4&#39;s arnt.. so if it goes anywhere near 60 its too hot.
[/b]
My iBook G4 maxes out at about 65 - that&#39;s if I leave it transcoding video or something like that. I&#39;ve never had any issues with stability or anything at those temps. On a hot day I will regularly get near 60.

What&#39;s the supposed high temp limitation of an iBook G4 12" 1.33Ghz CPU?

g3monster
29th September 2006, 11:39 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(forgie &#064; Sep 29 2006, 10&#58;53 PM) 219494</div>

My iBook G4 maxes out at about 65 - that&#39;s if I leave it transcoding video or something like that. I&#39;ve never had any issues with stability or anything at those temps. On a hot day I will regularly get near 60.

[/b]

I think he is talking about desktop CPUs. Laptop CPUs ALMOST ALWAYS have a higher Temp Threshold than Desktop CPUs because obviously they cant be cooled efficently. The 7447A CPU has a Junction Temp max of 105C so youve got absolutely no problem...If you start hitting 90+ in summer then if you prolong use you may turn the CPU into a fried block of silicon ...The process of electromigration starts to really accelerate at around 80-90ish C on the laptop G4 CPUs. Or so I believe...I could be way off here but I say what I think is true for virtually any CPU.

hawker
30th September 2006, 12:05 AM
My PowerBook sits at about 50 degrees. On a hot day it can get up to 60. I have seen it up to 67, but the fan kicked in, and just about deafened me, and brought it back to about 62 ;)

My Quad sits at about 48 degrees idle, and when it takes off can get up to 59, but that&#39;s about the max.

STK
30th September 2006, 12:52 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ipod_man &#064; Aug 6 2005, 10&#58;13 PM) 87662</div>

the g5 proccessor is designed to run at high temps, but the G4&#39;s arnt.. so if it goes anywhere near 60 its too hot.
[/b]

My iBook G4 runs at 65 deg berfore the fan kicks in somties it goes as hight as 69

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(forgie &#064; Sep 29 2006, 10&#58;53 PM) 219494</div>

[/b]

I have the exact mac as you :D for me the fan kicks in at 65 - 69 deg and kicks out at 54 - 56 deg. So anything over 75 - 80 deg could be a problem on an iBook G4.

Simo

Jaffa
9th October 2006, 02:17 PM
My MacBook usually sits between 50 and 65 normally, higher when doing more CPU intensive tasks.

MacDave
9th October 2006, 02:55 PM
My G5 DP 2.7:

[c-71-202-175-182:~] dave% temp.sh
CPU A 71.9315
CPU B 69.2951

Temps can easily hit 85C when pushed hard.

Temps on the Xserves here:

http://www.macdave.us/component/option,com...pper/Itemid,44/ (http://www.macdave.us/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,44/)

&

http://www.macdave.us/component/option,com...pper/Itemid,62/ (http://www.macdave.us/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,62/)

hawker
9th October 2006, 02:58 PM
Currently in Darwin it&#39;s about 32 degree&#39;s. A pretty humid day.

The below attachment shows what my G5 Quad is sitting at ;)

T-D-J
9th October 2006, 03:00 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(step_andy &#064; Sep 29 2006, 09&#58;09 PM) 219470</div>

Just installed Temperature Monitor on my MBP and it reports Core 1 at 89 C, core 2 at 86 C and HD at 42 C.

MBP is elevated on a stand with plenty of air flow.
It is on 24/7 running BOINC.

Do I need to worry about the heat? I did some searching, and most people report 80 C under max load.

The room temperature is about 25C. I hate to think what will happen in summer. :unsure:
[/b]

Those temps are a bit too high, and i imagine the case is red hot to touch, especially on the strip of metal between the keyboard and the screen.

You should be able to easily hear the fans running at full speed at those temps, if you can&#39;t really hear the fans, or you need to put your ear up to the case to hear them, then there is an issue with the thermal paste, (which i had). I pulled my machine apart and replaced the thermal paste and temps dropped from as high as yours to around the high 40&#39;s on average, to mid 50&#39;s at high load.

step_andy
9th October 2006, 03:34 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(T&#045;D&#045;J &#064; Oct 9 2006, 03&#58;00 PM) 222617</div>

Those temps are a bit too high, and i imagine the case is red hot to touch, especially on the strip of metal between the keyboard and the screen.

You should be able to easily hear the fans running at full speed at those temps, if you can&#39;t really hear the fans, or you need to put your ear up to the case to hear them, then there is an issue with the thermal paste, (which i had). I pulled my machine apart and replaced the thermal paste and temps dropped from as high as yours to around the high 40&#39;s on average, to mid 50&#39;s at high load.
[/b]
As soon as I stop BOINC, temperature drops big time. It drops to about 60.
I can hear fans to kick in now and then. When fans kick in, eg louder than usual humm, temperature drops to 70 ish and climbs back again.
I e-mailed an Apple centre and they response was that high 80 are fine as long as it does not go over 90 for prolonged periods.

Yes, the strip gets quite hot. The lower left hand corner is also hot.
One thing I have not done, is to replace the battery. The original was subject to a recall, and I got a new one the other week which is still sitting in a box. Totally forgot.

leon
9th October 2006, 03:59 PM
Importing CD&#39;s into iTunes my Macbook 1.83ghz gets up to 77 deg C which is the highest I have ever seen it.

Powerbook 17inch 1.67ghz usually runs at 28 deg C. Max temp is about 35 deg C.

Imac G5 1.8Ghz Rev A. usually runs between 58-66 deg C. Never been higher than about 69 deg C.

bertofski
9th October 2006, 04:08 PM
my MacBook Pro idle&#39;s at around 67 deg C but importing/burning a CD or running the mchine hard it gets to around 75 deg C

T-D-J
9th October 2006, 07:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(step_andy &#064; Oct 9 2006, 03&#58;34 PM) 222638</div>

As soon as I stop BOINC, temperature drops big time. It drops to about 60.
I can hear fans to kick in now and then. When fans kick in, eg louder than usual humm, temperature drops to 70 ish and climbs back again.
I e-mailed an Apple centre and they response was that high 80 are fine as long as it does not go over 90 for prolonged periods.

Yes, the strip gets quite hot. The lower left hand corner is also hot.
One thing I have not done, is to replace the battery. The original was subject to a recall, and I got a new one the other week which is still sitting in a box. Totally forgot.
[/b]

Well the core duo chips can reportedly handle temps that high, it&#39;s not particularly good for them, and issues may arise where the thermal paste in the computer may out-gas more readily because of the heat ruining certain components, like CD/DVD lasers. (the has apparently happened in IBM machines).

But if you don&#39;t plan on using it on your lap, and you have apple care for it, i guess you needn&#39;t worry too much.

One of the reasons I remember hearing as to why the batteries were crapping out was due to heat produced by the machine causing them to swell. But much like myself you probably can&#39;t afford to have the machine getting fixed for a week or two, when it pretty much works fine, (i have the whine problem i&#39;d like to get fixed)

HDK
9th October 2006, 07:57 PM
Powerbook 1.67GHz, Processor sensors top and bottom about 35C idle and 55C when playing Unreal Tournament for half an hour. Not sure how much load that puts on it.

gelfie
9th October 2006, 09:18 PM
Someone should rename this thread: "Wild Conjecture"

T-D-J
10th October 2006, 11:16 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gelfie &#064; Oct 9 2006, 09&#58;18 PM) 222773</div>

Someone should rename this thread: "Wild Conjecture"
[/b]

It pretty much is just conjecture, as the only thing chip manufacturers publish is the temps that the chip will reduce its clock speed and what temp it will shut down to avoid permanent damage. The real point is that no one in the general public knows what temps the chips should be running at to achieve x amount of years of reliable operation.

kentetsu
13th October 2006, 03:50 PM
My macbook pro 17 generally idles with a temp at about 55 - 60 deg C and under load can push out to the high 70s and even make it in to the low 80s - although it seems to get quite hot - I haven&#39;t had a single problem with it. But now that we are heading into warmer weather - I am touch concerned with how hot this laptop will get when operating on a day when it is 35 - 40 dec C - I guess time will tell. I haven&#39;t worked up the courage to crack the laptop open and address the thermal paste issue that I have heard alot about. I am reluctant to void my warranty, but if it can really drop the operating temperature by as much as people are reporting - it might be worth doing. Would a service centre even consider doing this - and if they did, would that mean my warranty stays intact?

pipsqeek
13th October 2006, 05:04 PM
Yes, if an Authorised Apple Repair Centre did it for you, the warranty remains in tact.

pipsqeek

g3monster
13th October 2006, 06:20 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kentetsu &#064; Oct 13 2006, 03&#58;50 PM) 224461</div>

My macbook pro 17 generally idles with a temp at about 55 - 60 deg C and under load can push out to the high 70s and even make it in to the low 80s - although it seems to get quite hot - I haven&#39;t had a single problem with it. But now that we are heading into warmer weather - I am touch concerned with how hot this laptop will get when operating on a day when it is 35 - 40 dec C - I guess time will tell. I haven&#39;t worked up the courage to crack the laptop open and address the thermal paste issue that I have heard alot about. I am reluctant to void my warranty, but if it can really drop the operating temperature by as much as people are reporting - it might be worth doing. Would a service centre even consider doing this - and if they did, would that mean my warranty stays intact?
[/b]

a service centre MAY do if you ask nicely...Or if your doing a upgrade you can ask them to re-apply...I think

step_andy
13th October 2006, 07:37 PM
There is an extensive thread on heat issue with MBPs
http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?...3325285#3325285 (http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=3325285#3325285)

Someone has posted a hack to control the fans, eg force them to spin at 3000 RPM instead of 1000 which in turn lowers the temperature quite dramatically (ignoring noise or battery life issue).

As I type, mine is at 89 C.
Will look into the hack over weekend

Have a read..

kentetsu
15th October 2006, 10:33 AM
thanks step_andy for the link... I have just tried the fan control hacks on my mbp 17 and wow... it really works..my temp when idle now has dropped from about 55 deg C to about 35 deg C and I haven&#39;t been able to get it to go above 55 deg C during a normal day of work. This includes running Dreamweaver, Photoshop and a number of other apps at the same time... and when just doing simple stuff like reading emails and browsing the web... the temp stays at a pretty frosty 30 - 35 deg C

I am pretty happy with it - I am running both fans at 3000 rpm as was suggested on that thread, and while the fan noise is now definitely audible (louder than before) it is in my opinion not too bad.... it is still not as lound as the fans in my three other pc laptops.

Give it a try... I think most people will be happy with the results, hey I even used the laptop on my lap in bed for the first time ever, and it was barely warm.