PDA

View Full Version : iTunes keeps changing my Media Folder collection!

Hydrology
27th November 2009, 10:40 PM
I use a Time Capsule as my location for my stored iTunes media, however usually every day when I reopen iTunes it defaults the media folder to its normal location:-

/User/user/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music

This causes nothing but problems for my database. Im running a current MBP, so dont want my 70+ GB of cluttering up my onboard HDD.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Ive followed the following tutorial but it still seems to change automatically...

Transferring your iTunes Library | iLounge Article (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/moving-your-itunes-library-to-a-new-hard-drive)

Please help!!!

kristian
27th November 2009, 10:52 PM
The only time I've seen this happen is when iTunes is unable to the folder you've specified.

cgollner
28th November 2009, 08:30 AM
Are you using iTunes 9.0.1?

Hydrology
28th November 2009, 11:28 PM
Are you using iTunes 9.0.1?

Im using the latest 9.0.2

cgollner
1st December 2009, 04:19 PM
Figured it was a 9.0.x version. Happened to me to.
Initially I downgraded to 8.2 ( as it appears the problem only begun with the 9.0.x versions) until I sorted out my disk space issues then I restructured and kept the library on the local drive, turned off the option "copy media to iTunes" and then kept the media on the external drive. You do loose some of iTunes management of the media but atleast TM backups don't get mangled ( which was a problem for me, and it caused everything to re-copy everytime I synced my iPhone ). Now the location doesn't change, cause its local.

So the local drive has the library files, podcasts, ringtones etc. Music, Movies and tv shows on the external. For the movies and tv shows I use MetaX to populate the metadata before I add it to iTunes. It all works, just requires a bit more work on my part.