PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake 0.9.4 Issue

Japester
26th November 2009, 09:51 AM
I'm pretty impressed with the quality. I had ripped a movie with 0.9.3 and was happy with it but re-ripped it with the Normal setting in 0.9.4 as a test and was amazed to see that 0.9.3 had added a "stepping" effect to straight lines and a moire effect to some patterns, that I hadn't noticed until I compared it with the 0.9.4 rip. These were interpreted correctly with 0.9.4.

I'm keen to use 0.9.4 for this reason but I've got an annoying issue. I've checked the Handbrake forums and can't see mention of it. Those moderators are maniacal in demanding repeatable bugs before they'll accept posts on the matter, so I wanted to see if others had it before I post there.

Here's the bug:

Launch Handbrake.
Select source DVD (I use full-disc rips prepared with MacTheRipper).
Prep the rip.
Click the Start button.
There is a microsecond pause where it looks like it's trying to start, but it doesn't.

If I save the settings for that DVD to the queue, quit and restart and confirm that I want to reload the queue, I can then start the ripping process. I have to go through this whole rigmarole each time. Maddening.

If anyone has seen this issue, please let me know.

PS: I've thought of something to try: obliterate any plists associated with Handbrake and relaunch. Perhaps my old plists are clashing with the new version. Feasible?

bennettnz
26th November 2009, 10:27 AM
I tried it yesterday and didn't notice any performance increase at this stage over the previous version... I'll keep experimenting.

Japester
26th November 2009, 10:30 AM
I tried it yesterday and didn't notice any performance increase at this stage over the previous version... I'll keep experimenting.

I noticed a big performance boost, but did you experience my issue?

gehenna
26th November 2009, 10:56 AM
It seems to want 64bit VLC, which I thought I had but don't seem to. Anyone got a link for this as everywhere I check on the Videolan website only links me to 32bit versions - even though I'm reading elsewhere that there are definitely 64bit versions available...

Japester
26th November 2009, 10:59 AM
It seems to want 64bit VLC, which I thought I had but don't seem to. Anyone got a link for this as everywhere I check on the Videolan website only links me to 32bit versions - even though I'm reading elsewhere that there are definitely 64bit versions available...

That's interesting. I didn't come across that because I don't rip directly from the disc, only a full-disc rip. Did you see the interface issue I mentioned?

gehenna
26th November 2009, 11:03 AM
Well I can't seem to get to scan the disc at all so I can't see the problem you've mentioned yet - I've only tried to do a direct from disc source. It comes up with this:

http://img.skitch.com/20091126-ghaypdxufya1ntkm55y7ae5rib.jpg

Now, if I click Attempt Anyway it just loads up the VLC downloads page, as does clicking the Get 64bit VLC button. Cancelling just cancels.

So encoding from disc is at a bit of an impass for me at the moment :)

Japester
26th November 2009, 11:07 AM
Well I can't seem to get to scan the disc at all so I can't see the problem you've mentioned yet - I've only tried to do a direct from disc source.

So encoding from disc is at a bit of an impass for me at the moment :)

I don't rip directly from disc for two reasons: a) added complexity as you've run into and b) I don't like the idea of the disc spinning, getting hot for an hour or more. Have you tried ripping the disc first with MacTheRipper (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14414)?

gehenna
26th November 2009, 11:09 AM
Yeah I'm halfway through ripping to HDD already but if it doesn't work when reading from the source (superdrive) then that's not very good planning by the Handbrake people. If just getting 64bit VLC will fix this then that's what I'll do because I can't be bothered adding another 25 minute step to the process by ripping the discs first. But I can't get VLC if I can't find it :)

Japester
26th November 2009, 11:10 AM
Yeah I'm halfway through ripping to HDD already but if it doesn't work when reading from the source (superdrive) then that's not very good planning by the Handbrake people. If just getting 64bit VLC will fix this then that's what I'll do because I can't be bothered adding another 25 minute step to the process by ripping the discs first. But I can't get VLC if I can't find it :)

You could try the 32-bit version (http://handbrake.fr/rotation.php?file=HandBrake-0.9.4-MacOSX.5_GUI_i386.dmg) of 0.9.4.

gehenna
26th November 2009, 11:16 AM
Yep I've tried that already. I'm back on to 1.0.3 now.

swoffa
26th November 2009, 11:45 AM
Did you see this thread (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/56/74097-vlc-1-0-2-now-64-bit.html) from Huy, I clicked the link and it asked me where I wanted to save the .dmg file. I'm at work so I didn't bother going any further

Devil rolla
26th November 2009, 02:20 PM
If I'm running sl in 32bit (standard) do I run the 32 or 64bit version of handbrake ? ( stupid noob question I know.)

Japester
26th November 2009, 02:26 PM
If I'm running sl in 32bit (standard) do I run the 32 or 64bit version of handbrake ? ( stupid noob question I know.)

You can run the 64-bit version in Leopard or Snow Leopard, as long as your processor is a 64-bit one (Core 2 Duo or later, I believe).

Japester
26th November 2009, 02:27 PM
Populace,

No one has yet corroborated my issue in the original post. Am I to take it that none of you have seen that phenomenon?

gehenna
26th November 2009, 02:30 PM
Did you see this thread (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/56/74097-vlc-1-0-2-now-64-bit.html) from Huy, I clicked the link and it asked me where I wanted to save the .dmg file. I'm at work so I didn't bother going any further

Thanks for that, I got further with that than before but still having problems. I suspect it could be the disc itself so will try another tonight.

Populace,

No one has yet corroborated my issue in the original post. Am I to take it that none of you have seen that phenomenon?

I haven't got far enough to see your problem but if I get there tonight I'll let you know.

Japester
26th November 2009, 07:56 PM
Assembled Multitude:

I trashed the Handbrake folder in ~/Library/Application Support and relaunched. Set up a rip and it's now belting along, so it must have been something in that folder, as I suspected. I've been using Handbrake for years and I don't think that folder has ever been cleared out.

You now know what to do if you see this weird error.

Angsty
30th November 2009, 09:38 PM
Bugger, the AVI pre-set is gone! Only mp4 or mkv?? *shakes fist*

Grrrr!!! Not. Happy. Jan!

Ang
(because I like avi, m'kay?)

decryption
30th November 2009, 11:48 PM
Bugger, the AVI pre-set is gone! Only mp4 or mkv?? *shakes fist*

Grrrr!!! Not. Happy. Jan!

Ang
(because I like avi, m'kay?)

This is a good thing. Less use of that ancient format the better. H.264 is the only way!

El Guardo
1st December 2009, 11:28 AM
(1) I'm not experiencing Japester's issue.

(2) The 64-bit Handbrake not working with the 32-bit VLC is a well know issue - because it was noted by Gruber yesterday. (http://daringfireball.net/linked/2009/11/28/handbrake) The best solution, as linked to later on (http://daringfireball.net/linked/2009/11/29/handbrake-vlc), is to use Fairmount as a workaround. Put DVD into drive, load up Fairmount, DVD becomes a DMG (thus negating the need for a 64-bit libdvdcss which is what the call to 64-bit VLC is seeking) and then rip away with Handbrake.

flyboyoz
2nd December 2009, 07:56 AM
I am having all the same issues. Keeps asking for 64 bit version.
Also the presets are missing the PS3 which it always had?
I use to like handbrake because it was so simple. What the hell is going on?

El Guardo
2nd December 2009, 11:05 AM
I am having all the same issues. Keeps asking for 64 bit version.

Because it is searching for the 64-bit version of libdvdcss in VLC. Because VLC is still only 32-bit the program can't decode the disk and throws up an error. So, as noted previously, use Fairmount to change your DVD to a DMG image and rip from that.

Also the presets are missing the PS3 which it always had?

Have a read of the 0.9.4 release notes (http://handbrake.fr/?article=10) - normally pretty boring but in this case interesting for rationale behind many of the changes. If you can't be bothered, here are the bits the matter:

There are no more presets for the PSP, PS3, or Xbox 360. Quite frankly, they didn't work well. None of the development team members own the devices, so testing was minimal and support was nonexistent. Keeping up with the firmware vagaries and ambiguous specifications of these devices was not fun--we get enough of that from Apple's kit, and those we all have around to test on. The new "Normal" preset should work perfectly fine on any device that supports standard Main Profile H.264 with AAC-LC audio in an MP4 file, which the PS3 and 360 ostensibly do.

There are no more Film, Animation, or Television presets. Instead of a confusing series of content-targeted presets, there is now a single, constant quality, High Profile preset with automated filtering and all the H.264 bells and whistles. This preset should work on the PS3 and 360 too, although we make no promises.

I use to like handbrake because it was so simple. What the hell is going on?

It's now a considerably simpler program. Think of it as Handbrake (Snow Leopard Edition) with clean, simplified, tightened code that only supports the most modern and flexible technologies going forward.