PDA

View Full Version : Trouble connecting to old mac from a new mac

Hex
25th November 2009, 11:16 AM
Hi Guys,

My new iMac finally arrived today and I am having troubles using migration assistant as the 2 macs I am trying to connect don't seem to want to see each other. I am transferring from:

iMac OSX Tiger

to

new iMac OSX Snow Leopard

I am using a ethernet cable between the 2 and cant seem to figure out how to make them see each other through that connection so that I can transfer my old files over to my new system.. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

MacDave
25th November 2009, 12:16 PM
All you need to do is put the older Mac into Firewire target mode by booting with the "T" key held down. You'll see a large Firewire logo appear on its screen. Then connect the two Macs via a Firewire cable and the HD of the older Mac will appear on the newer Mac's desktop. Then run Migration Assistant.

Basically, when a Mac is in Firewire Target Mode, it's just a glorified Firewire enclosure + drive.

Dave

Hex
25th November 2009, 12:23 PM
and if i don't have a firewire cable ?

matreya
25th November 2009, 12:28 PM
If you don't have a firewire cable, buy one :)

Hex
25th November 2009, 12:57 PM
Thanks guys I worked it out.. Took out the direct conection qnd put it through a router they are now talking to each other

bushbabe
25th November 2009, 12:58 PM
Another option is to use a crossover cable ( similar to an ethernet cable )
I am guessing that your older mac needs it - I do know that the newer macs will 'see' each other via the ethernet cable

glacierdave
25th November 2009, 01:47 PM
There's two parts to this - first up, a standard ethernet cable is designed to connect a computer to a switch. The way the pins are wired will mostly only work in this configuration. If you want to direct-connect two computers you need a cross-over ethernet cable instead. In some cases (I don't know if this is the case with Mac) the network port itself will adjust the pin-outs to let it work even if you aren't using the right cable (this is not unusual on switches and routers but not all that common on computers).

The second part is configuration - both computers need IP address and netmask settings. This is normally handled by a router or server on a network. When you direct-connect two computers you'll usually have to set this stuff manually to make it work.