PDA

View Full Version : Backing Up

Paxton
5th August 2005, 08:21 PM
Just a quick question,

I am sending the PowerBook away to get fixed tomorrow, and I would like to know if I can just copy and paste my Home Folder onto my PowerMac for a just in case scenario? Would I be able to use the Home Folder on my PowerMac just like I do on my PowerMac, or will the permissions conflict? I have no real experience backing up OsX, however I believe this should work.

Thanks for your help.

-Andrew

dangelovich
5th August 2005, 08:49 PM
It depends on how the file system stores the permissions. I don't believe they are actually stored with the files, but rather in the FAT (or similar)...

You should be able to copy your files over though, and access them from the Power Mac.
A basic copy will reset the permissions to suit the Power Mac.

Paxton
5th August 2005, 09:03 PM
Excellent, that is what I wanted to hear. Thanks.

-Andrew

dangelovich
5th August 2005, 09:11 PM
And for the record, if the permissions aren't reset, you can use Terminal to su as root and reset the owner/groups and change the permissions that way.
But that shouldn't be necessary.

dagaz
6th August 2005, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by paxtonandrew@Aug 5 2005, 08:21 PM
I am sending the PowerBook away to get fixed tomorrow, and I would like to know if I can just copy and paste my Home Folder onto my PowerMac for a just in case scenario? Would I be able to use the Home Folder on my PowerMac just like I do on my PowerMac, or will the permissions conflict?
If you are using Tiger on the PowerMac the best way to do this would be to use the new Migration Assistant (/Applications/Utilities) to import all the user settings off the PowerBook while it (the PB) is hooked up via Firewire.

If you are running OSX prior to 10.4 the best way to do this would be to create a new user on the PowerMac that has the same username and password, then, copy all the folders across from the same user on the PowerBook.

W2ttsy
6th August 2005, 12:33 PM
carbon copy cloner (http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html) anyone?

just set up the two macs to be connected (either firewire or ethernet/airport). then use CCC to copy the selected items from the powerbook to the powermac.

works a treat.

downsys
6th August 2005, 03:51 PM
interesting.

now what if i wanted to make a full copy on an external harddrive?

dagaz
7th August 2005, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by W2ttsy@Aug 6 2005, 12:33 PM
carbon copy cloner (http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html) anyone?

just set up the two macs to be connected (either firewire or ethernet/airport). then use CCC to copy the selected items from the powerbook to the powermac.

works a treat.
Has CCC been updated for Tiger yet? Last I heard it hadn't and Mr Bombich himself was saying that he wasn't considering Tiger compatibility a priority due to the new built-in software. I've used Migration Assistant a few times and its worked really well.

bullrout
7th August 2005, 08:51 AM
SilverKeeper does bootable backups.

TAK
7th August 2005, 10:08 AM
CCC is Tiger compatible now! Just ran it 15 min ago to backup my main hard drive onto an external. As always, CCC does a prefect job.

Highly recommended.

-TAK