PDA

View Full Version : iStat Menus showing no network activity for new Quad iMac

Tiprya
24th November 2009, 07:37 PM
I just got my new Core i5 iMac and have prety much straight away installed iStat Menus.

Everything is working fine, except the Network module that is showing no network activity despite me definately downloading and uploading from the internet.

Any ideas on the problem here?

marc
25th November 2009, 09:05 AM
Unfortunately iStat Menus needs to be updated to support ethernet networking on the new iMacs and some other new Macs. The next version should have this fixed.

Tiprya
25th November 2009, 02:50 PM
Just to clarify, I'm having problems with the Airport connection, havn't been able to test ethernet yet.

Thanks for the quick support.

limpboy
2nd December 2009, 07:05 AM
I just upgraded to new 27" i7 iMac and Airport activity is not showing up in Network Module of iStat Menus as well.

Any ETA on when new version is coming out?

Great product! :)

Stingray454
2nd December 2009, 08:50 PM
Same problem here with i7 iMac. Also, it displays 8 CPU cores in the CPU monitor, where 4 of them have zero activity. I guess it mistakes the quad core for 8 cores.

marc
2nd December 2009, 09:21 PM
Same problem here with i7 iMac. Also, it displays 8 CPU cores in the CPU monitor, where 4 of them have zero activity. I guess it mistakes the quad core for 8 cores.
Do you think the additional 4 cores are idle or the meters are actually broken? Seems likely you're just seeing the (very normal) additional virtual cores caused by the hyperthreading:

"Some newer CPUs, like the Intel Xeon “Nehalem”, sport a technology called Hyper-Threading which allows two threads to run simultaneously on each core. Mac OS X presents this as 2 virtual cores per actual core, meaning a 4 core CPU will appear as 8 cores. So it’s normal for some Macs to appear to have twice as many cores in iStat and other system monitoring apps."

Help with iStat Menus by Bjango (http://www.islayer.com/help/istatmenus/cpu/)

The_Hawk
3rd December 2009, 06:03 AM
iStat Pro/Menu's seems to be having issues with network connections in general. My new 17" MBP has had a clean install (along with a new HDD) in the last week or so and where my USB tethered iPhone was showing use before, now it's not, yet over bluetooth it works as does ethernet and Airport traffic. I have been reading mixed reports about different bits working or not.

I submitted something via their online form (as I hope other have too), hopefully it gets fixed soon (I love my iStat across iPhone and MacBooks :))

kroda
3rd December 2009, 01:14 PM
I have a new iMac 27" i7 as well, and if when encoding videos using all cores, it does indeed show all 8 in use, so wouldn't think there is a bug there. Likely just not all were actually in use.

Do you think the additional 4 cores are idle or the meters are actually broken? Seems likely you're just seeing the (very normal) additional virtual cores caused by the hyperthreading:

"Some newer CPUs, like the Intel Xeon “Nehalem”, sport a technology called Hyper-Threading which allows two threads to run simultaneously on each core. Mac OS X presents this as 2 virtual cores per actual core, meaning a 4 core CPU will appear as 8 cores. So it’s normal for some Macs to appear to have twice as many cores in iStat and other system monitoring apps."

Help with iStat Menus by Bjango (http://www.islayer.com/help/istatmenus/cpu/)

marc
3rd December 2009, 02:15 PM
I have a new iMac 27" i7 as well, and if when encoding videos using all cores, it does indeed show all 8 in use, so wouldn't think there is a bug there. Likely just not all were actually in use.
Great. Sounds like the CPU section is working perfectly, it's just the network section we need to fix.

Stingray454
3rd December 2009, 08:51 PM

Ah, I was not aware of this. I did try to stress the computer a bit more, and saw activity in the other cores. Thank you for the explanation! Seems everything is working perfectly here.

afd_sg
16th December 2009, 11:16 AM
Unfortunately iStat Menus needs to be updated to support ethernet networking on the new iMacs and some other new Macs. The next version should have this fixed.
Hi - Looking forward to next release as your tool is invaluable.

Issue appears to be the P55 chipset which the new Imacs (11.1) are using.

I run OSX10.62 on a home made "Apple" computer with a genuine Apple Airport Extreme mounted on a PCIe adapter card. The MB is an MSI P55-GD8 with an Intel i7 860 processor which is in fact much faster than my 2009 dual quad Core MacPro Nahalen.

I would advise that the Ethernet does not register any activity while Airport does!

Tiprya
7th January 2010, 11:53 PM
Can we get an update on this?

Over 6 weeks now with no fix - while you've been pushing out plenty of other releases.

Call me cynical but does iStat not rate on the priorities anymore?

marc
8th January 2010, 12:42 AM
Over 6 weeks now with no fix - while you've been pushing out plenty of other releases.
Yep. We've been VERY, VERY busy. Today was another 17 hour day for us (and it hasn't finished yet). We work 7 days most weeks.

Call me cynical but does iStat not rate on the priorities anymore?
iStat Menus is one of our most successful products. It's been downloaded millions of times. It's very important to us.

Please be patient.

Tiprya
8th January 2010, 02:57 PM
Cheers for the reply,

let me know if theres any output I can provide or any testing that would help.

simon44
8th January 2010, 11:13 PM
I think we can all accept your reply and be patient. The app still works well except for the network feature.

darksplat
9th January 2010, 02:14 PM
I will wait for a fix in the meantime menumeters network only for me

richbowen
31st January 2010, 10:18 AM
Marc, you probably know this already, but I've had the same Network issue on my 2.53GHz MBP (Dec 09 model).

I'd be happy to test anything if that helps.

Richard

simon44
28th February 2010, 06:15 PM
is this fixed yet. I'm starting to get (kindly) pissed off.

Tiprya
6th March 2010, 12:17 PM
Is this like a 're-write the entire program' fix?

Any update? Is this being worked on at all?

marc
6th March 2010, 12:30 PM
We recently asked iStat Menus users their opinion on the future of the app. The response was overwhelmingly positive, so it looks very likely that iStat Menus will be getting some serious attention very soon. This would mean fixes to all known bugs and some nice new features. It might also mean the app isn't free (it would be very reasonably priced though).

Reference and more info:
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/30/81667-future-istat-menus.html
Survey: The future of iStat Menus (http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dDUxOFNHdzBJajE1TVJLb2FIR0cwYUE6M A)

simon44
21st March 2010, 12:04 PM
I was tired of waiting for a (paid or free...) update to iStat Menus that would work on my 27" imac core i5, so I went back to the trusty, if a little limited
'Menumeters', which monitors my network usage very nicely thank you. I suggest all affect 27" users do the same. It's free, and decent. And the network monitoring was my most favoured/needed feature.
A word of advice to the Bjango guys. Pay a bit more attention to problems that arise with you software. I was prepared to wait a decent amount of time for an update or at least some indication of something happening, but you have treated us users at less than customers. Pull up your socks. Whether the software is free or paid, just do the right thing. I will be less inclined to download something from you as a result. Just plain silly. And not very 'Apple' like, is it?

D_W_Y
20th May 2010, 10:43 AM
since this is kind of on topic is it possible to make it show network traffic when you are connected to a wireless network and using a vpn client?

mine just grays out