PDA

View Full Version : De-license or un-activate iWork 09?

opilot87
22nd November 2009, 07:27 PM
I purchased a copy of iWork 09 pretty cheap on ebay mid this year for my MBP. I was undecided on if I should go Office for Mac (familiarity and compatibility) or iwork (probably run better, and would be nice to stick to Apple software and avoid Microsoft for good). However iWork was so much cheaper that I went with iWork.

However after using it for a semester, I find it is not as easy to use as I thought, maybe it is but I just know my way around Office, and I still find it easier to use now. My main gripe however is the whole format thing, I always end up with duplicated copies of files in different formats, and I think I have had the odd issue of formatting problems and possibly not opening once too. In the end I decided I would just rather have Office which works with everyone else, I know how to use it, and anything explained or demonstrated to me in Office I can replicate.

I also just found out I can get Office for Mac 08 for less than $120 as a student, so I want to purchase that and get rid of iWork. So my question is...

If i want to sell my copy of iWork to somebody else, will it still install on their computer? Do I need to de-license or in-activate my copy in any way? How do I go about this?

Ollie

Byrd
22nd November 2009, 07:36 PM
Trash iWork, sell the original media - you need not do anything else.

JB

opilot87
22nd November 2009, 09:32 PM
Thanks JB. Out of interest though, if I wasn't to do this, would it stop anyone else using it? How would they stop multiple people installing iWork with the same disk?

Ollie

Beau
22nd November 2009, 09:33 PM
No activation, or even serials with iWork '09. :-) Delete it from your computer and you're all good to go.

MrJesseRoss
22nd November 2009, 09:33 PM
Thanks JB. Out of interest though, if I wasn't to do this, would it stop anyone else using it? How would they stop multiple people installing iWork with the same disk?

Ollie

It's called trust. Just like they trust you to not buy a single copy of OS X and install it on 200 machines.

Huy
22nd November 2009, 09:40 PM
If you don't mind using a virtual machine, give Office 2007 a go for $75.

Microsoft Office Discount for Students - It's Not Cheating (http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/itsnotcheating/default.aspx)

There's also an Office 2010 beta available (Windows) that will expire in a year. Free beta. I've never been a fan of Office 2008 on Mac.

opilot87
23rd November 2009, 03:27 PM
It's called trust. Just like they trust you to not buy a single copy of OS X and install it on 200 machines.

Wow, just suprised they make no effort at all to try and stop people pirating, considering how badly Microsoft products are pirated.

Thanks Huy for the office link, I was aware of that, I do already run a VM, but really don't want to have to do that all the time. I would much rather a native system. Saying that, can you please share why you have never been much of a fan of Office for Mac? I was assuming it would be fairly similar to what you would find in Windows...

Ollie

dickg
23rd November 2009, 03:47 PM
OpenOffice and NeoOffice essentially do the same as MS Office and they're both free. Same buttons, maybe in different places. And you can save in heaps of formats including MS. (From memory as I don't use it anymore - the save options in iWork are limited.)

Fission
24th November 2009, 10:13 PM
Wow, just suprised they make no effort at all to try and stop people pirating, considering how badly Microsoft products are pirated.

Thanks Huy for the office link, I was aware of that, I do already run a VM, but really don't want to have to do that all the time. I would much rather a native system. Saying that, can you please share why you have never been much of a fan of Office for Mac? I was assuming it would be fairly similar to what you would find in Windows...

Ollie
The Windows and Mac versions of Office are miles apart. As far as I'm concerned, the Mac version is so bad that it's unusable. Definitely get a trial before you but it.

opilot87
25th November 2009, 01:21 AM
wow Ok thanks, also didn't know you could get a trial, will hunt around and have a play before I sell iWork and purchase it.

Ollie

rodeodee
8th December 2009, 10:25 PM
I'm keen to grab iWork09 if you're letting it go.

opilot87
9th December 2009, 12:13 AM
PM Sent