PDA

View Full Version : Disabling VMWare Fusion's inbuilt DHCP Server

FreeFrag
22nd November 2009, 02:15 PM
I've downloaded the VMWare Fusion trial and like it immensely however I've got one main problem. I'm using it to play around with Windows Server VMs to create a 'Virtual Network' where all VMs are set to Host-Only Networking so they talk to the various Server VMs (WinServer for DHCP/DNS, IPCop for Routing).
Problem is, when you set these VMs to Host-Only networking, VMWare gives them DHCP addresses. I don't want it to! I need to turn off the internal DHCP server but it seems quite hard to do according to what I've read on the internet.
Does anyone have any bright ideas on this?

blakat
22nd November 2009, 03:19 PM
You'd be better off using VMWare server for that sort of environment.

kogi
22nd November 2009, 03:47 PM
Even though DHCP is on, you can set the Windows Server VMs to use a static (different) ip

Ray
22nd November 2009, 04:29 PM
There are a few ways you could do this, but this is probably the easiest method for your requirements:

1. Right-click on your VMware image, go to 'Show package contents'
2. Open the .vmx file in TextEdit
3. Change and add the following lines:

Change:

ethernet0.connectionType = "something"

To:

ethernet0.connectionType = "custom"

After that line add:

ethernet0.vnet="VMnet2"

So you end up with:

ethernet0.connectionType = "custom"
ethernet0.vnet="VMnet2"

Any VMware images you add these lines to will be on their own host-only network that does not have a DHCP server configured on it.

FreeFrag
22nd November 2009, 04:35 PM
You're a bloody legend Ray! That's about the only problem I've had with Fusion so far, your recommendation over Parallels is greatly appreciated :)