PDA

View Full Version : YouTube 1080p and iMovie

Cybix
21st November 2009, 10:05 AM
Okay, I shoot a lot of video, and yeah, I edit a lot in iMovie (now that it's less gimped than before).. I also have FC Express but rarely fire it up, the iMovie interfaces is just way too easy, and you can actually get stuff done in it. (simple stuff anyway)

On to the topic, now that YouTube is apparently offering 1080p, do you suppose Apple will patch up iMovie to support it as an export option?

I have to admit, I love the option "share -> youtube". Doesn't get much easier. I'm familiar with bitrates, keyframes, and other encoding options, but this just doesn't get easier. "do it for me, thank you".

A mate of mine just bought a wanky new Canon AVCHD camera. He's editing using the packaged software, on his Sony Vaio laptop. It can't even export an HD clip... wtf? Sure he has the raw files on the SD card, but to bring the size down and get em online, he's running em through the canon software (whatever it is)... the quality of the output is crap. Not even HD.

*pat's his mac* out of the box baby... out of the box.

Anyway, I've convinced him to buy Sony Vegas (one of the better editor's for Windows)

Back on topic... maybe we can discuss YouTube's 1080p goodness? Is it useless for us Mac people who already have steaming hot CPU's when using YouTube? Are google taking over the world? oh wait...

Seakip
21st November 2009, 11:38 AM
My internet speed and bandwidth caps aren't changing :(

marc
21st November 2009, 11:47 AM
do you suppose Apple will patch up iMovie to support it as an export option?
Yep, I'm sure they will.

Was good to see YouTube offering 1080p. It's going to kill bandwidth, but makes for some pretty nice viewing.

iCarllovesapple
22nd November 2009, 01:14 AM
To add a sub question to this thread: Why the hell do our CPU's heat up soooo much when trying to watch a YouTube video?

canonafficionado
22nd November 2009, 02:59 AM
The standard explanation I've been getting for that is that it's related to the way Flash is handled by the browser and OSX.

Seems a little better in Safari than Firefox, but it drives me crazy too!

There's a bit of sign of life that this issue is started to be fixed though. Have a look at this thread (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/56/77098-adobe-flash-10-1-beta-anyone-notice-doesnt-monopolise-your-cpu.html).

marc
22nd November 2009, 08:32 AM
To add a sub question to this thread: Why the hell do our CPU's heat up soooo much when trying to watch a YouTube video?
Because Adobe Flash is horribly inefficient.

entropy
22nd November 2009, 08:34 AM
What would be even better is if youtube started defaulting to H.264 and didn't use flash at all.

marc
22nd November 2009, 08:42 AM
What would be even better is if youtube started defaulting to H.264 and didn't use flash at all.
Given Google's investment in WebKit and HTML5, I don't think that day it too far off.