PDA

View Full Version : Time/billing and invoicing app UI question

applesource
19th November 2009, 06:11 AM
It seems more and more that every single Mac OS X software developer making invoicing and project management applications uses an iTunes-like one window interface. This makes the programs extremely counter-intuitive, because everything is in your face all at once.

I was curious if others agree with this concept, or if they actually prefer the one window interface style?

We have just released a massive re-write of our insanely popular time and billing software, TimeNet. One reason I think it is so popular is because it avoids using the same one window interface that every other time and billing app uses.

TimeNet uses smaller, more focused windows (a main window, and a separate window for each project). Each window remembers it's position and settings, and provides a much cleaner approach to maneuvering around a time and billing application's interface.

If you're curious about how a one window interface differs from a multi window interface, check out TimeNet (http://applesource.biz/software/timenet (http://www.applesource.biz/software/timenet)) compared to say Billings or iBiz.

If anyone has any feedback or thoughts on the one window vs. multiple window approach, I'd love to hear it!

gamblor
19th November 2009, 08:34 AM
I think it looks good, but can't really try it. I'm too reliant upon Billings, which now has 2+ years of invoices and client information.

I don't think one window is bad. From the screenshots, though, I do like that I can only have a small window open if I need it to. I don't need to have a whole window open just to do a simple task in one area of the program.

Is there a way to import data from Billings? Maybe I'd give it a go if there was.

applesource
19th November 2009, 08:38 AM
Currently there is no way to import data into Billings, however we are researching the methods and may be able to provide a solution for that soon. Thanks for your input!

semaja2
19th November 2009, 10:50 AM
I actually believe in todays world, old invoicing applications are inefficient as applications like Xero have a great simple interface and can be accessed anywhere around the world.

I looked into billings and such but with no accountants knowing the software, and it seemed more complex then Xero