PDA

View Full Version : OS X 10.7 Development Underway

tcn33
19th November 2009, 04:27 AM
So says MacRumors.

Apple Already Working on Mac OS X 10.7 Development - Mac Rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/11/17/apple-already-working-on-mac-os-x-10-7-development/)

Let the big cat name speculation begin.

basseyy
19th November 2009, 06:44 AM
10.7 - Himalayan Leopard

Cybix
19th November 2009, 09:45 AM
if it still has leopard in it's name, that makes me happy... long live leopardtricks.com hahaha

thorevenge
19th November 2009, 06:10 PM
If they stick to the same schema, apparently the next one is Clouded Leopard and its the last of the 'big cats' so to speak in the Feldiae family of roaring cats.

gr8bob
19th November 2009, 06:36 PM
10.7 - Brazilian Leopard. Stripped down, waxed and polished.

Shouldn't this be in the Rumors section?

ipwn
19th November 2009, 10:07 PM
If they stick to the same schema, apparently the next one is Clouded Leopard and its the last of the 'big cats' so to speak in the Feldiae family of roaring cats.

This could be a play on words... apple are building big data centres right?
maybe "Clouded" Leopard fits into that plan?

mmm... twiddles fingers...

gehenna
19th November 2009, 10:13 PM

I'm calling OS X "Griffin".

droodles
20th November 2009, 05:04 PM
it better have a cut feature, god damn it i am sick of just being able to copy items.

Lutze
20th November 2009, 05:19 PM
it better have a cut feature, god damn it i am sick of just being able to copy items.

jesus.. threats over features that may or may not exist already? Talk about jumping the gun! /facepalm

entropy
20th November 2009, 06:42 PM
why not call it "big pussy" and be done with it.

ada_lovelace
20th November 2009, 08:41 PM
... features that may or may not exist already...

Should be called Schrödinger.

bartron
20th November 2009, 08:46 PM
Should be called Schrödinger.

Only if the features do AND do not exist...which they might.......or might not.

I'm going to be boring and say "Lion"

Lockley
20th November 2009, 10:14 PM
wikipedia states "Apple has also registered "Lynx" and "Cougar" so maybe one of those?

Mac OS X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X)

droodles
20th November 2009, 11:09 PM
cougar is reserved for hot 40 something women, not operating systems.

Lutze
21st November 2009, 12:03 AM
I actually think that Snow Leopard may be the swansong of the big cat names. It's the only version that's actually had a picture of the beast on it and in it.

I actually hope that they move on to something else. But I also think that Apple may look at Walt Mossbergs review of 7even and decide that it's time, in the spirit of Spinal Tap, to turn it up to 11.

The next version will therefore be called Lick My Love Pump.

On the other hand... I thought that Apple had made it clear that X is with us for a long time yet.

Remy
21st November 2009, 08:15 AM

Like Liz and Jenna? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cougars_(30_Rock))

wiredishere
24th November 2009, 08:22 PM
I'm calling OS X "Griffin".

Ahhhhh!

http://l.yimg.com/l/tv/us/img/site/46/69/0000034669_20061021010459.jpg

Snow Leopard
24th November 2009, 08:39 PM
why not call it 10.7 goldfish

banjo
24th November 2009, 09:34 PM
why not call it 10.7 goldfish

Because Sea Lion is more fitting ;-)

Shanebenn
25th November 2009, 10:31 PM

But look how ugly clouded leopards are http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7d/Neofelis_nebulosa.jpg just try and compare that picture to one of a snow leopard....

thorevenge
5th January 2010, 03:28 PM
I'm going to necro this thread kinda for shiggles but also in some seriousness.

So I posted about the Clouded Leopard here and funnily enough over at TUAW there is a post about the tablet with it running 10.7 Clouded Leopard. It's BS of course but someone did make a good point in the comments - Clouded Leopard, whilst confusing in terms of its name, does make for an interesting allegory about cloud computing.

Seeing as the cloud is being considered the future, one has to wonder how bullshit this fake name for 10.7 really is. For all we know it does make sense...

nibbles
5th January 2010, 04:50 PM
Clouded leopard will probably be a later release of OS X because it is the top, the end. What comes after OS X when they run out of os X or will they continue to os X 10.99.1 & 12.2.1 etc

ipwn
6th January 2010, 11:03 PM
I'm going to necro this thread kinda for shiggles but also in some seriousness.

So I posted about the Clouded Leopard here and funnily enough over at TUAW there is a post about the tablet with it running 10.7 Clouded Leopard. It's BS of course but someone did make a good point in the comments - Clouded Leopard, whilst confusing in terms of its name, does make for an interesting allegory about cloud computing.

Seeing as the cloud is being considered the future, one has to wonder how bullshit this fake name for 10.7 really is. For all we know it does make sense...

Thats exactly what I think....
Apple Planning $1 Billion iDataCenter « Data Center Knowledge (http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2009/05/26/apple-planning-1-billion-idatacenter/)

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/5695/83413766.jpg

cosmichobo
6th January 2010, 11:28 PM
Mac OS iX will follow from 10.9.9 of course, arriving 11 June 2013. Whilst technically it would appear to be a devolution to Mac OS 9, as we all know, adding an i in front of a name makes it better.

The iFinder (introduced in X.9 "Maine Coon") will be replaced by the iSpot. iSafari will become iHunt, and the iMac will be renamed iiMac.

AfterBurner_1
7th January 2010, 02:17 AM
also reported upcoming name changes are:
-i, Work?
-Lifei
-the new iMini
-iPen (or was it iPeen?)
-iCB (a CB radio for those fashion conscious Army commanders)
-Stacks, introduced in Leopard will become Stackii
-Apple will also release it's own security suite for the other OS, called Phoni
-As 10.6 Snow Leopard has a nickname of cold kitty, 10.7 is likely to be sedated kitty or drunk kitty.
-10.7 may also be called Leopard, Clouded.
-and if they're not going to use cougar then it's a possibility they'll use prowler.
-the high end tablet will be called Tabletii
-iCut - 'nuff said.
-all card reader slots will be rebranded as iSlots
If Woz has another crash, his book would be titled Woz,i?

AfterBurner_1
7th January 2010, 02:18 AM
@CosmicHobo: sorry to copy the theme there, got me goin on a roll though.

Vapours
7th January 2010, 02:39 AM
I don't care what they call it, as long as it has proper whole disk encryption built in. It's embarrassing that they are the only major OS without it (AFAIK), and freaking annoying that I have to spend a chunk of extra cash on a 3rd party program (PGP) to get what should have been a standard feature years ago.

halledise
9th July 2010, 08:19 PM
10.7 - Brazilian Leopard. Stripped down, waxed and polished.

Shouldn't this be in the Rumors section?

arsehoLeopard??

hotPussycat??

i dunno - just a thought

halledise
9th July 2010, 08:23 PM

hot 40-something women do so have operating systems :cool:

Wally
9th July 2010, 08:55 PM
I reckon OS X will change to iOS something eventually

melbmac
9th July 2010, 09:38 PM
I reckon OS X will change to iOS something eventually

Yup...

OS X will become iOS Senior...

iOS4 will become iOS Jr....

You know it makes sense...

tom_mclean
9th July 2010, 11:27 PM

Ctrl+K to cut, Ctrl+Y to paste from cut.