PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Flash 10.1 beta - Anyone notice it doesn't monopolise your CPU?

leon
17th November 2009, 09:22 PM
Is anyone else running the beta of Flash 10.1
I just installed it 5 minutes ago just for the hell of it and now my Macbook can play Youtube vids without the CPU redlining and the fans kicking in like crazy.

Could this be the first version of Flash that actually works under OSX?

Adobe Labs - Downloads: Flash Player 10.1 (http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html)

Dux
17th November 2009, 10:02 PM
Anand has a nice technical review of it:

AnandTech: AnandTech Tests GPU Accelerated Flash 10.1 Prerelease (http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3678)

chrisricho
17th November 2009, 10:16 PM
I just read about it actually on an engadget article so installed it for a bit of fun. Looks like there is a worthwhile improvement. Finally my mac won't cook itself while browsing youtube with a bit of luck. on my 2Ghz macbook CPU usage is about 20%-30%.

decryption
17th November 2009, 10:17 PM
Fucking finally!

modernpacifist
17th November 2009, 10:19 PM
Ill let you know whats its like once it finishes "Running Package Scripts" in "About a Minute" which appeared 10 minutes ago.

modernpacifist
17th November 2009, 10:23 PM
Well theres no improvement on the Dominos website:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/227463/cpu.jpg
Although watching Oceans Twelve Laser Dance Scene in HQ on Youtube:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/227463/cpu2.jpg
Arguably it was hard for it to get worse...
2008 Late Unibody Macbook Pro

jesse
17th November 2009, 10:44 PM
I'm installing it now and the installer appears to be hanging.

edit yes, hanging - waiting for me to get off of Safari. It's late

grfxninja
17th November 2009, 11:15 PM
Ill let you know whats its like once it finishes "Running Package Scripts" in "About a Minute" which appeared 10 minutes ago.

:eek: installed in about 4 seconds for me…

Now to go try it out

EDIT: Gave it a bit of a run last night. On youtube, it is great, but on other flash stuff it is still ramping up the fan speed as it tries to cook my MBP…
Still, it is an improvement, so I'll take that for now and hope it gets even better

robc
18th November 2009, 04:57 AM
Just got it installed, and gave it a quick test with Captain Forever (http://www.captainforever.com).

It's still using a large chunk of CPU time, but nowhere near as bad as before. More importantly, it's running much faster than under Flash 10. This actually looks pretty good… be interested to see how the final 10.1 plugin fares…

leon
18th November 2009, 06:27 AM
I have a revision A Macbook Core Duo with the GMA950. This isn't listed as being supported for GPU acceleration, so the improvements I'm seeing with youtube must be due to improved coding.

Sad that there isn't a version for PPC though. Those are the machines that need all the help they can get.

BeePee
18th November 2009, 08:25 AM
Installed it early this morning, no drama, can't say I have noticed a great improvement however the previous comments have convinced me it must be better.

DeanCorp
18th November 2009, 08:31 AM
I've heard that we should not install this beta until its final because it screws up Webkit plug-ins.

leon
18th November 2009, 08:36 AM
I've heard that we should not install this beta until its final because it screws up Webkit plug-ins.

Do you know which ones in particular?

Byrd
18th November 2009, 09:32 AM
The Anandtech website lists requirements as: Geforce 8+ or Radeon 3000+, I don't know if this refers to OS X as well - pretty steep requirements for bloody Flash! Does anyone know if it is supported using any Core Image accelerated graphics card under OS X?

JB

droodles
18th November 2009, 09:55 AM
Thanks! So any idea when the official final version is released?

Gerbils
18th November 2009, 10:10 AM
So in summary: Flash is still a pile of shit.

stewiesno1
18th November 2009, 12:34 PM
An interesting comment from the discussions on that linked Anandtech page.

You people dont get it...

1) Flash Player 10.1 is a early pre-release, NOT final.

2) Flash is great, it's the best thing out there for delivering so many things. It's also some of the most fun and creative software i use. The problem is how advertisers use Flash, and what stupid websmasters decide to do with it (dump flash ads all over the place. This is NOT the fault of Flash. It simply happens to be the best thing for these things. If there was anything that could compete, that would be used instead and then people would just call that annoying.

2) Nothing is wrong with Flash performance considering what it does. It uses Vector based graphics normally and this happens to be very demanding for CPU's, Adobe could not possible get vector graphics magically running as good as pixel based graphics no matter what they did. The advantage of vector based graphics though is things like infinite zoom with no pixelation, and adaptive resolution. It's nice to see GPU acceleration for video though, that was needed.

It's sad that even Anand does not seem to understand this stuff.

I read something similar a couple of years ago and they said that Flash might be pretty crappy at times but some of the competing alternatives are far worse.
Meh , I still have a G4 and Panther so I am still up shit creek in that regard.

Stewie

Byrd
18th November 2009, 01:42 PM
I still have a G4 and Panther so I am still up shit creek in that regard

I know PPC is up shit creek, it would have been nice for Adobe to support it though - we're almost in the woods, but not yet :)

JB

Gerbils
18th November 2009, 02:54 PM
You people dont get it...

1) Flash Player 10.1 is a early pre-release, NOT final.

2) Flash is great, it's the best thing out there for delivering so many things. It's also some of the most fun and creative software i use. The problem is how advertisers use Flash, and what stupid websmasters decide to do with it (dump flash ads all over the place. This is NOT the fault of Flash. It simply happens to be the best thing for these things. If there was anything that could compete, that would be used instead and then people would just call that annoying.

2) Nothing is wrong with Flash performance considering what it does. It uses Vector based graphics normally and this happens to be very demanding for CPU's, Adobe could not possible get vector graphics magically running as good as pixel based graphics no matter what they did. The advantage of vector based graphics though is things like infinite zoom with no pixelation, and adaptive resolution. It's nice to see GPU acceleration for video though, that was needed.

It's sad that even Anand does not seem to understand this stuff.

This still doesn't explain why it is such a CPU hog on Mac and Linux, but not on Windows. Playing a simple low quality video should not max out my CPU!

Byrd
18th November 2009, 03:08 PM
Apparently it works a treat on (cough) lowly Atom netbooks too ... running a non-Windows OS :)

JB

mab
18th November 2009, 03:38 PM
In Flash Player 10.1, H.264 hardware acceleration is not supported under Linux and Mac OS. Linux currently lacks a developed standard API that supports H.264 hardware video decoding, and Mac OS X does not expose access to the required APIs. We will continue to evaluate adding the feature to Linux and Mac OS in future releases.

Bummer

BeePee
18th November 2009, 09:09 PM
Tried it out during the day, there is no doubt that this is a better version, had a look at Iview on the ABC, loads in a flash(pardon the pun) compared to the previous version of Adobe.
Works ok with the latest beta version of Firefox 3.6b3 as well

Paris
19th November 2009, 08:39 AM
Oh wow, this is awesome.
Flash is fixed. Hooray. :cool:

fotografer
20th November 2009, 08:19 AM
Oh wow, this is awesome.
Flash is fixed. Hooray. :cool:mmm not entirely. Updated to the beta and while Flash may have generally been sped up, I noticed that playing the Cafe World game in Facebook eats up memory (after about 20 minutes, Safari/Webkit was showing 1.7GB of memory used - this was with only ONE window open).

Closing the tab for Cafe World/Facebook did release the memory used thus its not all bad news, but still . . .

I may revert back to the older version but will keep monitoring for now.