PDA

View Full Version : Cinema Display Power Button Acting Up

dangelovich
3rd August 2005, 05:19 PM
Hi

I've got a 20" Cinema Display on my PM G5, running 10.4.2
I went to hit the power button the other day, and it did nothing - so I checked the Display preferences to see what the setting was for the power button.
It had changed to "Does nothing". I changed it back to "Puts the system to sleep or wakes it", and closed the window.
I hit the button again, and it does nothing.
Every time I set it to put the system to sleep, it changes back to nothing, or at the moment, it's set to turn the display on and off.
It's been fine up until about a week. The only thing that's been changed recently is the installation of the GarageBand and iPhoto updates.

Any suggestions?

Mac Aid
3rd August 2005, 10:22 PM
Reset Firmware/PRAM and/or toss the diplay prefs?

dangelovich
4th August 2005, 07:16 AM
I reset the PRAM, and it still does the same thing.
I also tried another user account - same thing. So it's a global preference.
I can't find the display preferences file though... anyone know where it is?

Currawong
4th August 2005, 07:42 AM
The power buttons are known to fail in those. The worst case is that it shuts down your computer at random times. Nothing you can do except if it's under warranty, get it fixed. I don't know offhand how much Apple charge to replace the circuit.

dangelovich
4th August 2005, 08:00 AM
The button itself works though... It's the setting that doesn't.
At the moment it's reverting to turning the display on and off...
Sometimes it reverts to doing nothing.

Actually, it's set to turn the display on and off, but it actually comes up and asks me if I want to shutdown, restart, sleep etc... I'm pretty sure it's a dodgy preferences file or something.

macmate
4th August 2005, 08:20 AM
strangly, i have one client with three 20" and one 23" with G5s and non of the buttons on any of them work...... weird hey?

crankyfranky
4th August 2005, 12:02 PM
The buttons on my 30 have never worked...

dangelovich
4th August 2005, 12:29 PM
But is that because the setting in your Display preferences is set to do nothing?

crankyfranky
4th August 2005, 03:20 PM
Nope - the preferences are all set correctly.

I phoned a senior tech from Apple that night I set it up and he said he would investigate the issue further. Have heard nix since then... (months)... at least I am thankful not to have any dead pixels though...

dangelovich
4th August 2005, 05:17 PM
OK, so we've established that it's relatively common for the buttons to be stuffed, but where are the display preferences kept?
I'm hoping its just corrupt prefs.