PDA

View Full Version : SMC fan control Queestion

iCarllovesapple
13th November 2009, 12:47 AM
Hey! My Macbook Pro has seen better days.. By that I mean it suffers a lot during the summer. Today it had stupidly high temperatures (Bordering 80Degrees celsius when all I was doing was watching YouTube videos & typing in Pages) so I installed SMC fan control. I bumped the fans up to 5000rpm and within 5 minutes the temp had lowered to 50 degrees. I then closed the application.. After I closed the application, I'd have thought that the Mac would refresh and automatically adjust the fans? No, it hasn't. It's still going by SMC's preferences despite it being closed. How do I make Mac OSX adjust it's own fan settings?! I'm a little puzzled here.. For those that are going to suggest bringing the Macbook in for service, I have thought of that but I need my Macbook at the moment for exams etc.. I prefer portables as I go out to coffee shops & study there. Thanks! PS: Mods, I couldn't find a discussion on SMC so I opened a thread, if there is a discussion somewhere else feel free to merge the thread!

Arkhum_Eramak
13th November 2009, 06:31 AM
Doesn't SMC fan control leave a handy little thingy up in the menu bar? I used that and manually changed between a few preset fan speeds on my Mac Pro. From there you should be able to access SMCfancontrol's preferences and deactivate it.

Hope that helps

~Coxy
13th November 2009, 10:27 AM
If you Shut Down and turn back on again, the fast/loud fan settings should be gone (unless you've got something running in the background.)

If you simply restart, the custom fan settings will still apply. People used to use this trick to get fan fans in Windows mode.

Sheldor
13th November 2009, 08:56 PM
i'm using it on my imac, on the menu bar you can specify the min.speed so if u enter 5000rpm it will use this default value all the time.

iCarllovesapple
14th November 2009, 11:48 AM
Thanks guys :)