PDA

View Full Version : Multi-region Dvd Playback

Chris_Zantides
3rd August 2005, 10:59 AM
G'day,

I have a 15" PB 1.67 with a superdrive.

I have tried to use VLC to play US DVD's and haven't had any success with it. Can anyone suggest a way to do. On the windows platform a piece of software called region-free, I was hoping something similar was available.

Thanks,
Chris

Disko
3rd August 2005, 11:20 AM
It really annoyed me how a Portable computer can have a region encoded drive...

With VLC, choose "Open Disc" from the file menu. If that doesn't work, play the .VOB files one by one. :/

Short of that, you can flash the firmware on the drive to make it region free, and then use regionx (i think) to make DVD Player.app play the disc.

LCGuy
3rd August 2005, 11:45 AM
Only problem with flashing the firmware is that if something goes wrong, AppleCare won't cover it.

marc
3rd August 2005, 11:47 AM
Grab firmware from here:
http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

It's unlikely that you'll be able to get the firmware you need though, because I haven't found what I need for a 1.33 12" PB. Best of luck though, and be very careful when flashing drives.

crankyfranky
3rd August 2005, 11:47 AM
You're damn right, Disko - it's a bloody crime to have region encoded players in any computer, especially when most commercially available DVD players are not.

In this age where it is not uncommon for people to travel or order over the internet, it is not an unreasonable expectation that people may have DVD's from other regions.

There oughta be a revolt against Apple for continuing to perpetrate this nonsense.

TAK
3rd August 2005, 12:55 PM
Actually, most commercial players do have region coding. The whole thing behind it is so you can't buy a cheaper or unreleased DVD in your country from elsewhere. Overall, it is quite negative for the end user.

Anyways, before you flash your drive, be COMPLETELY sure that you have the correct "modified" firmware. If you sure you have it, grab DVRFlash from here (http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=35232) and go do it. Then get RegionX like Disko said and you can flip around how many more times you can change your region.

Warning: If you have already used up your 5-6 region changes, your drive may already be locked up and you might not be able to change it.

-TAK

EDIT: Links for PBs: http://superdrive.cynikal.net/ , RegionX: http://xvi.rpc1.org/

Chris_Zantides
4th August 2005, 12:36 PM
Looks like I'm up a creek.

I have a MatshitaDVD-R UJ-845E drive and there seems to be no firmware for it. I am heading to the US for work soon and I was hoping to not have to take my IBM (I have managed to get my VPN connection and exchange up and running perfectly on the Mac).

Most DVD players have region encoding but when you buy them, the guy at the store either turns it off or gives you an info sheet on how to do it (that has been my experience at both Bing Lee and RetraVision that have in the last 5 years bought DVD players/recorders).

Take care

Squozen
4th August 2005, 04:45 PM
My PowerBook is region-locked and VLC plays with no probs. Make sure you have your prefs set to do nothing when you insert a DVD or DVD Player will try to read it and spit it out.

Chris_Zantides
4th August 2005, 08:15 PM
Running VLC 0.8.2 ?

Hmm just not working for me.

Unclear why.

Silver
4th August 2005, 09:13 PM
[Oops - wrong thread]

Squozen
4th August 2005, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Chris_Zantides@Aug 4 2005, 08:15 PM
Running VLC 0.8.2 ?
Yep. What does VLC do when you try it?

one_nil
4th August 2005, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Chris_Zantides@Aug 4 2005, 08:15 PM
Running VLC 0.8.2 ?

Hmm just not working for me.

Unclear why.
yeah this is happening to me too!

It just trys to run it, when you select open disc..

then stops...
:S

Chris_Zantides
5th August 2005, 08:18 AM
Exactly what the last poster said

It trys to play the disc, I hear it spin up - then nothing.

I have tried to play the .vob files and cannot do that either.

Hmpf

Not sure why this isnt working.

D_J_M
5th August 2005, 04:09 PM
Great thread.

I am really pissed off that my iMac won't play any of my UK DVD's. Two questions;

1. How come nearly all commercially available DVD players have 'code' with which you can 'unlock' the player to play other regions but none exist for drives on Macs?

2. I forgot the second one but find it easier to type this than go back and change the first sentence.

Kildare
5th August 2005, 04:12 PM
I had the same problem with VLC on a Stargate SG-1 set.
However it only occured on 1 or the 6 discs. :unsure:

As far as I know most PC based DVD players are region locked - not only Apple.
It's just harder to find the region free firmware for some models.

JimWOz
5th August 2005, 08:27 PM
The CDRW DVD ROM drive in my PBG4 1.5GHz, a MATSHITACD-RW CW-8123 is not region locked, but is set to region 4. (I haven't used any of my 4 changes) I use VLC 0.8.2 to play out of region disks successfully. The CD & DVD Preference Pane is set to ignore a DVD when loaded into the drive, ie it doesn't startup DVD Player, which would ask if I want to change the region setting on the drive. I'm running OSX 10.4.2.

There must be something else wrong with the setup if you can't play disks outside region 4. It's not a problem with VLC.

I tried to find a way to set the drive region free, but no firmware was available from rpc1.org for a CW-8123 last I checked. I understand that the DVD player app will still have a problem, even if the drive is region free.

I know this post doesn't solve the problem, but believe me, VLC 0.8.2 and Tiger will play region 1 disks on a drive set to region 4.

The other solution is to make a copy of the disk, region (0) free....

Maybe you should try the disk in a region free DVD player hooked to the TV and see if the disk is the problem.

p53
6th August 2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Aug 3 2005, 11:20 AM
With VLC, choose "Open Disc" from the file menu. If that doesn't work, play the .VOB files one by one. :/
You don't have to play them one by one. Press cmd-shift-p to open the playlist window, then drag the .vob files from Finder into the playlist :)

p53