PDA

View Full Version : Video Monkey

kaisersozay
12th November 2009, 02:34 PM
I'm running OSX 10.5.8 and tried installing Video Monkey v 0.4 as I believe 0.5 is a Snow Leopard application.
It installs, but only allows Apple Devices. All others and Preferences are greyed out. I tried v 0.1 with the same result. Is it something I am NOT doing or is that it? If so, why have all other formats listed?

The_Hawk
12th November 2009, 03:24 PM
It's only a 0.x release (so not even V1.0 yet). The forums part of their site answers this one... they are coming... eventually :)

For Apple formats it's fantastic, just do the mod to get it working on all cores of a multi core machine.

kaisersozay
12th November 2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks The_Hawk. I get it.

radz
12th November 2009, 08:50 PM
It's only a 0.x release (so not even V1.0 yet). The forums part of their site answers this one... they are coming... eventually :)

For Apple formats it's fantastic, just do the mod to get it working on all cores of a multi core machine.

How do you mod for multi core?

The_Hawk
13th November 2009, 11:26 AM
How do you mod for multi core?

Blatently stolen from here:
SourceForge.net: Video Monkey: Topic: Double your speed (http://sourceforge.net/projects/videomonkey/forums/forum/884113/topic/3295067)

The current options that Video Monkey feeds to ffmpeg use the default single thread. Fortunately Video Monkey is setup in a rather clever way, and we are able change the commands used easily.

To use all of your CPU cores:

- Open your applications folder, right click on Video Monkey, select "Show Package Contents"
- a new finder window appears, open "Contents" and then "Resources"
- open "commands.xml" in your favorite text editor
- find the section "<device_group title="iTunes">"
- go down a few more lines to get to the element "<command id="ffmpeg_options">"

This is the command line that is executed when you encode a video usting any of the devices that are under the "iTunes" group in the UI.
On the end of that list of command line parameters add "-threads 2". Use the number of CPU cores you have.

Your finished product should look something like this:

<command id="ffmpeg_options">
-vcodec $ffmpeg_vcodec -b $output_video_bitrate -s $(output_video_width)x$(output_video_height)
-aspect $(output_video_width):$(output_video_height) -r $(output_video_frame_rate)
-acodec $ffmpeg_acodec -ab $output_audio_bitrate -ar $output_audio_sample_rate -ac $output_audio_channels
-threads 2
</command>

Grab a new video to encode, and watch your CPU meter.

radz
14th November 2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks for that:thumbup:http://forums.mactalk.com.au/images/smilies/thumbup.gif