PDA

View Full Version : Apple Mail On An Exchange Server?

chucky
3rd August 2005, 08:13 AM
Hi, I've did a search for topics on this subject, and it appears that Apple Mail (v2.02 in OX10.4.2) should work on an Exchange server right? Outlook express worked in Classic mode (kind of, it received mail ok, but automatically closed after about a minute - and I'd definitely prefer to avoid Classic if I can), but Apple Mail always comes up with an alert message. I've tried the Exchange, POP and IMAP settings but no luck with any of them. Entourage won't work either. Am I missing something? Thanks.

jamesatfish
3rd August 2005, 10:23 AM
Chucky,

Exchange can be configured to work in two ways - one that allows pretty much only Microsoft Outlook to talk to the Exchange server, and one that allows other clients, including Apple Mail, to communicate and use (some) of the Exchange functionality.

If you can't get Apple Mail to talk with your Exchange server, there's a good chance that it hasn't been configured to allow non-Outlook clients to work with it. Exchange's 'compatibility' mode is essentially IMAP, so there is no reason that a correctly configured Exchange server wouldn't work through Mail, Entourage or pretty much any other IMAP capable mail client.

I'd check with your Exchange administrator to confirm that they are using settings that would allow non-Outlook clients to connect. If you're trying to hook the only Mac in a company/department up to an Exchange server, you'll probably be out of luck.

Hope that helps,

James

sikosis
3rd August 2005, 11:12 AM
If you're on the LAN and they use Outlook Web Access ... you might be able to get away with that.

http://<servername>/exchange/

LCGuy
3rd August 2005, 11:44 AM
Yeah, i can confirm that Outlook WebAccess works in Safari.

chucky
3rd August 2005, 11:57 AM
Our IT person tells me they didn&#39;t (and won&#39;t) enable IMAP on the server "because it slows things down". I&#39;m the only Mac (it was a 3 month fight) in a company full of PCs. Am I out of luck? Can I at least configure Apple Mail for POP access (I have tried, but maybe I&#39;m not doing it correctly)?

Johnny Appleseed
3rd August 2005, 12:50 PM
Would Entourage work with the server as is? Would you be willing to move to Entourage?

If not, can you access Outlook mail via your intranet?

sikosis
3rd August 2005, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by chucky@Aug 3 2005, 11:57 AM
Our IT person tells me they didn&#39;t (and won&#39;t) enable IMAP on the server "because it slows things down". I&#39;m the only Mac (it was a 3 month fight) in a company full of PCs. Am I out of luck? Can I at least configure Apple Mail for POP access (I have tried, but maybe I&#39;m not doing it correctly)?
Hrmm I haven&#39;t seen anything about IMAP slowing the server down ...

You&#39;d only be able to use POP if they&#39;ve enabled that too.

Entourage should work as it&#39;s MAPI compliant (like Outlook).

This link (http://www.microsoft.com/mac/support.aspx?pid=exchange) should help you (or your IT staff ;) ).

chucky
3rd August 2005, 03:50 PM
The story I&#39;m being told is that IMAP will slow the server down because it will have to run alongside whatever&#39;s running at the moment? I can&#39;t get Entourage to connect either, but Outlook in Classic at least connected?

chucky
3rd August 2005, 04:06 PM
I can currently only access my mail through Microsoft Outlook Web Access. Is there any way to at least configure Apple Mail to perform the basic functions Microsoft Outlook Web Access does?

chucky
3rd August 2005, 05:20 PM
OK - I just found out that they&#39;re using Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 (yeah, from 1997)&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; Does that mean I&#39;m totally stuffed? Any options at all (however limited)?

sikosis
4th August 2005, 11:36 AM
eeek ... unsupported server software ... they&#39;ve proly been dreading upgrading it. plus the cost isn&#39;t anything to sniff at.

Microsoft Entourage 2004 / Microsoft Entourage X needs Exchange 2000 (with Service Pack 2) or later

Microsoft Entourage 2001 will work with Exchange 5.5 but only with IMAP enabled.

OWA will work with any (if enabled). I think you can configure Apple Mail to work with OWA, just not sure if that works with 5.5

The OWA is slightly better in Ex2003 compared to Ex5.5

Squozen
4th August 2005, 05:26 PM
Bah, tell them to install a Linux box alongside the old Exchange server and run Hula on it.

chucky
5th August 2005, 11:53 AM
Would it make sense for me to ask them to spring for a .mac account and just get them to add the email address to their list on the server?

W2ttsy
5th August 2005, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by chucky@Aug 5 2005, 11:53 AM
Would it make sense for me to ask them to spring for a .mac account and just get them to add the email address to their list on the server?
for that matter you could get a gmail invite (cough PM me cough) and set up mail forwarding on your work email so that everything that comes to your work addy ends up in gmail (has mail.app support)...

could be worth a shot...

chucky
5th August 2005, 02:17 PM
How would I reply to any emails I got if they were forwarded? Does it still go the the original sender?

m4dvillain
5th August 2005, 04:18 PM
check if your Exchange server has POP enabled. If it doesn&#39;t, you have three choices i&#39;d say;

- buy Entourage
- use webmail
- forward your mail

depending on your company policy, they probably won&#39;t let you do the last one.

your admin doesn&#39;t know what he&#39;s talking about, if he says POP/IMAP will slow it down, though. I&#39;ve admin&#39;d alot of windows networks, and i can say that POP/IMAP won&#39;t slow down the Exchange server

chucky
30th November 2005, 01:30 PM
They reckon they&#39;re going to update the mail server over the Christmas break - anything specific I should be requesting so I can use Apple Mail?

I currently use webmail which is a total pain - I have to log in twice (once to connect to the server and once to get onto webmail) and it times out fairly quickly so I probably have to type my password at least 30 times a day. I have Entourage but it won&#39;t work.