PDA

View Full Version : Consume for OSX?

semaja2
10th November 2009, 10:23 PM
I dont know if this has been asked before, but i would really appreciate consume being ported to OSX.

Im not sure how much work would be involved but considering the 'recipes' already exist and iSlayer does such good work with the iStat menu extras.

My main reason is i am unable to find a app that will work with Bigpond (And be kinda nice to know your phone usage on your mac too) but also because iSlayer/Bjango make such bloody awesome looking applications (Its like they work as Apple designers:P )

marc
11th November 2009, 09:17 AM
It's a good idea, but we're a little busy on other projects right now. So we're not saying no, but definitely not right now.

(Its like they work as Apple designers:P )
Apple actually asked about two months ago (to work in Cupertino). We said no. Going to keep doing this Bjango thing and see where it takes us.

El Guardo
11th November 2009, 11:47 AM
Apple actually asked about two months ago (to work in Cupertino). We said no.

Can you share any more details on this? Must have been a nice stroke of the ego...

mattDC5R
11th November 2009, 02:13 PM
consume for osx would be great.

however in the mean time there is this widget for bigpond usage, though it didnt work in 10.6 for me and it is no longer supported or updated.

get it here macpomme (http://macpomme.com/)

marc
11th November 2009, 02:44 PM
Can you share any more details on this? Must have been a nice stroke of the ego...
Was a very "WTF!" moment when the email landed. A great honour to be considered. I probably shouldn't give too many details on the position, but it was certainly an honour and a real buzz to talk to some of the team deep in the bowels of our favourite company.

I had a few interviews, and had to make a decision between the two in the end (couldn't do both Bjango and Apple). I imagine it'd be an amazing place to work, but we just have too many good things in the pipeline to give up on Bjango.

Alec Fraser
11th November 2009, 04:25 PM
That's awesome Marc! I can't think of anyone who'd be a better pick either :) Glad you're sticking around with Bjango though...and I'd love Consume for OS X whenever you get round to it ;)

Jivec
5th February 2010, 08:50 AM
Please, This would be great

AfterBurner_1
7th February 2010, 01:28 AM
Yeah Consume for Mac OS X would be handy even if it's a Widge and limited to say one or two accounts. that wouldnt bother me at all.

actually perhaps you could eventually also do a port for Win 7 that would be so good. none and i repeat none of the internet usage maters i've seen are any decent.

Lutze
7th February 2010, 01:56 AM
Yeah Consume for Mac OS X would be handy even if it's a Widge and limited to say one or two accounts. that wouldnt bother me at all.

actually perhaps you could eventually also do a port for Win 7 that would be so good. none and i repeat none of the internet usage maters i've seen are any decent.

Ration (http://www.blargsoft.com/ration/beta/) rocks. Even in Beta it's very nice - though for you poor BigPong customers it's not any help.

AfterBurner_1
7th February 2010, 04:14 PM
I'm with TPG. Telstra is teh Fail.

angusg
7th February 2010, 04:26 PM

I'd prefer a widget version over a menu bar version. (I ditched iStat menus in favour of the widget.)

The iiNet usage widget is too flakey and it'd be handy to see my Vodafone account details on hand too.

Jivec
9th February 2010, 09:47 PM
I not aware of bigpond support for ration atm, But I would love the other features of Consume on Mac OS X. Eg. Phone usage etc

Mecha
11th February 2010, 08:09 PM
Would be wicked if you could make this happen

Lockley
12th February 2010, 12:39 AM
It would be awesome

melbmac
12th February 2010, 09:21 AM
I'd love to se it in OSX as well, even as a widget would do the trick. That said, I'm happy enough to use it on my iPhone.

ZacDavies
13th February 2010, 01:24 AM
a) I too would like this, I love ration but it needs some ever so slight UI changes to be great

b) I wish Apple would introduce a paid widgets section, to improve the quality of them en masse. I love the dashboard but it is seriously neglected.

rustyshelf
13th February 2010, 07:54 AM
Are you asking for it because you don't have an iPhone, or just because you want it on your mac? I imagine it would be a royal pain in the butt for Marc to release it on the mac because he'd have to set up a payment system to support it.

On the plus side it would expose him to a whole new bunch of users that he currently doesn't have, but I think Bjango are doing just fine focussing on the iPhone, so why would they bother to take their eye off the ball?

ZacDavies
13th February 2010, 12:46 PM
I have an iPhone and a Mac, cbf firing up consume for iPhone every day to check my usage - but its great when I'm AFK. I think ideally it'd be great to add consume as part of iStat menus, or as a seperate menubar app - I'd pay for it it.

In my mind the menubar icon would look like the bar graph from iStat menus and less of the numbers from ration.

http://img.skitch.com/20100213-c3uey7jpckr9hwt416u6a9pexm.jpg

A little marker representing where current usage should be would be good, combined with an option to make the graph glow (your choice of) colour when current DL limit exceeded.

http://img.skitch.com/20100213-phuf8kbh66cy4j9dcu79j4ax9g.jpg

Kind of a mini version of the Ration bar, but sideways.. see how similar it could be to iStat menus?

As for a payment system being a pain in the butt - umm, sure.. if making money looks like a hassle? I don't understand this paticular design sentiment.

As for focusing on iPhone, I think the best notes / to-do / finance / whatever apps have beautiful Mac counterparts to sync to / user a proper keyboard with / what have you. Cross-platform* pollenization is surely an ideal goal.

*By this I mean within Apple products, not other OS's :p

marc
13th February 2010, 03:02 PM
As for a payment system being a pain in the butt - umm, sure.. if making money looks like a hassle?

I think Rusty's talking about the business model the App Store offers. Apple take 30% of the revenue, but give us a payment system, analytics (kinda), a storefront, publicity, handle all refunds and returns and ensure it's all secure. To build your own or use a service (like Kagi or Fastspring) requires a lot of work.

It's certainly one of the reasons we've never charged for Mac apps and Widgets in the past.

I would love to see Consume for Mac though. We've put A LOT of work into the Recipe system.

I also like Ration.

Who knows what the future holds though.

ZacDavies
13th February 2010, 05:22 PM
Who knows what the future holds though.

Translation: damn, you guys should see the frigging awesome super secret shit we are working on now

:D