PDA

View Full Version : How do you insert a page break in Numbers?

bellenuit
10th November 2009, 12:29 AM
I have a large table in Numbers that requires 2 pages to print. I want to control which row is to be at the top of the second page, but cannot find any means to do it other than inserting a number of empty rows above the row so that the row I want "gets pushed" on to the second page. However, that is unsatisfactory, as the number of empty rows inserted will need to be adjusted every time I add or delete a row for other reasons.

The user manual has reference to inserting a page break in the index, but when I go to the location pointed to, there is no mention of it. A "search" of the manual only finds one entry for "page break" and that is the index entry. There is nothing in the manual body.

Surely there must be an easier way of inserting a page break into a table so that the row will always begin on a new page when printed.

ClockWork
10th November 2009, 02:59 AM
Is there any help to be found in the Numbers free online videos (http://www.apple.com/iwork/tutorials/#numbers-group) ?

avolve
10th November 2009, 09:57 AM
From the help section

Arranging Objects on a Page in Print View
Resize objects, move them around on a page or between pages, and break up long tables across pages when you're viewing a sheet in Print View.

To show Print View, click View in the toolbar and choose Show Print View.

Here are ways to lay out objects on a selected sheet's pages:
To adjust the size of all the objects in the sheet in order to change the number of pages they occupy, use the Content Scale controls in the Sheet inspector.

You can also drag the Content Scale slider at the bottom left of the canvas to resize everything on a sheet.

To resize individual objects, select them and drag their selection handles or change the Size field values in the Metrics inspector.

To resize a table, see Resizing a Table. To resize a chart, see Resizing or Rotating a Chart. To resize other objects, see Resizing Objects.

In Print View, header rows and header columns appear on each page if a table spans more than one page.

To avoid showing header rows or columns when a table spans pages, on the Table menu deselect “Repeat Header Rows on Each Page” or “Repeat Header Columns on Each Page.”

Move objects from page to page by dragging them or by cutting and pasting them.

Is the row you want at the top of page two a header row?

Alternatively, create two tables. Have the first row in the second, on the second page, as you wish. If you need to incorporate the information from the first table you can do this with formulae and hide this row/these rows.

Perhaps not as simple as you are seeking, though it will work...

bellenuit
10th November 2009, 02:57 PM
From the help section

Is the row you want at the top of page two a header row?

Alternatively, create two tables. Have the first row in the second, on the second page, as you wish. If you need to incorporate the information from the first table you can do this with formulae and hide this row/these rows.

Perhaps not as simple as you are seeking, though it will work...

Thanks. No it's not a header row, just a new section within the table. None of the options shown in the manual extract you quoted will work, as they would require re-adjustment to keep the new section on the top of the second page should I add or remove rows from the table preceding where I want the page break.

Your suggestion to create two tables would work, but complicate the spreadsheet somewhat, as some calculations now need to span tables.

What is interesting is that the index clearly shows "page break, inserting 41", but when you go to page 41 it doesn't mention anything about inserting a page break. It just gives the text that you quoted. It's almost as if it were there previously but has been removed, with the index entry still remaining.

In Excel and Pages you can actually insert a page break at specific points and that will always cause a new page to be started even if the preceding page is almost empty.

Thanks in any case.