PDA

View Full Version : Recommended screen recording applications?

mechcon
8th November 2009, 06:48 PM
Oh yeah, I'm well aware that Quicktime Player X records screens as well, BUT.. it doesn't record internal sound (unless it's from the internal microphone). I was wondering if there are any other screen recording applications out there which do record sound internally? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong in Quicktime Player X? :P

MissionMan
8th November 2009, 08:26 PM
Here are your options:

1. iShowU (cheap but good)
2. Screenflow (expensive but without a doubt the best screen recording tool you can buy)

I have both. IshowU will do a standard screen recording, but you can't edit it afterwards, nice if you want something quickly. Screenflow gives you a raw file and gives you the ability to edit it, add logos, screen transitions etc.

In your case it sounds like ishowu will probably be good enough for what you want but I did a review on screenflow if you want to check it out as an option as well:

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/18/75080-screenflow-review-professional-screencam-screencasting-tool.html

Beau
8th November 2009, 08:29 PM
+1 for ScreenFlow if you have the $$$.

glenmorrow
8th November 2009, 08:32 PM
yeah ScreenFlow is the best.

NILcorp
8th November 2009, 11:30 PM
ScreenFlow FTW!!! I luv it heaps and use it for many purposes :)

Used the trial then ended up buying it coz it's heaps good!

mechcon
9th November 2009, 09:00 AM
Sounds like ScreenFlow might be the winner, as I'd like to be able to put watermarks in as well. Time to start saving up methinks :) thanks folks!

MissionMan
9th November 2009, 09:08 AM
You can still add a watermark with ishowu I.e. you can select a file you want to be shown as a logo, adjust the size and opacity etc. It also has some editing ability like the show mouse clicks, and show which keys have been pressed, selecting your output size, selecting screen area etc, but all of this is setup up front before you record and once you've recorded you are stuck with it or you have to record it again.

Where Screenflow comes in handy is you can start with a master file, record in HD and then export to smaller sizes or keep it in HD. You can re-record voice if you're not happy with something or combine separate clips into a single cam.

scarbrow
9th November 2009, 10:56 AM
Snapz Pro X after its trial period will still record internal sound as is. If you are fine with muxing the screen recording from quicktimex to the sound recording from Snapz Pro X, that is your free option.

zigzagler
30th November 2009, 10:21 AM
I couldn't seem to get rid of " ishowu HD preview" watermark even after deleting the box on the screen before recording.

MissionMan
30th November 2009, 10:27 AM
Did you purchase the app? the watermark is probably there because you haven't purchased it or haven't add your registration info to the app.

rodeodee
8th December 2009, 10:19 PM
I just used Snapz Pro X to help with a run a client problem. I find to be pretty awesome in what it can do. The outputted file is beautifully clean. It cam with a bundle so I have no idea how it compares to other software options.

scarbrow
9th December 2009, 10:51 PM
you bought is as a bundle? Is it that bundle offer still active?