View Full Version : memory for imac 233

9th July 2004, 09:40 AM
hello, this is my first post so forgive me if I don't use all of the fancy features that are avaliable.

I need to run redhat 9.0 on an old imac but it still only has all of the basics, 32mb, 4gb HDD and only a CD drive.

the question is what memory does it take because it is most likely a rev. 1 board.

p.s, if anyone knows what harddrive it takes, laptop or normal, thanks :P

9th July 2004, 09:53 AM
What speed is the iMac? Here is a link to a list of G3 macs, with the iMacs listed about half way down: http://everymac.com/systems/by_processor/powerpc750.html

They use the same 3.5" HD's as any other desktop, and they use PC100 SDRAM. :)

Also check out our articles pages for the_argon's guide to changing a HD in an imac.

9th July 2004, 09:56 AM
it's a 233 G3 if that is any different, I am not very good with the older imac's systems

with the pc100 mem, that means I can use pc-133 and it will just see it as pc-100?

9th July 2004, 10:35 AM
ack - well, that one uses 10 ns SO-DIMM - and i have no idea what type that is. If anyone else can help??

edit: here are the stats of your imac: http://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac_ab.html

9th July 2004, 10:39 AM
is it worth getting a newer one, I was looking to pick one up anyway if anyone has any ideas on where to get some cheap imacs in the melbourne metro area, or with cheap delivery, that would be great!

9th July 2004, 12:38 PM
I wouldn't stick a Hard Drive faster than 5400 RPM in it, faster Hard Drives tend to heat the system up faster and hold it at a higher heat!

10th July 2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Jul 9 2004, 11:35 AM
ack - well, that one uses 10 ns SO-DIMM - and i have no idea what type that is. If anyone else can help??
Yes sir, that is 10ns PC100 SO-DIMMS, or commonly referred to as "laptop RAM".

My iMac 333 uses the same stuff (in fact, it was the last iMac to do so before they switched to normal PC100 SDRAM). It originally came with 32MB of the stuff (2*16) which was nowhere near enough for even general OSX use.

I tried buying a generic 128MB stick, but found that only 64MB was recognised. It worked perfectly fine, but only half was being used.

Not wanting to waste more money on other brands that might not work, I went to Infinite Systems and asked them for two sticks of genuine Apple 128MB PC100 SO-DIMMs. The price was quite reasonable, and now my iMac lives with 256MB which is much tastier for OSX use than the original 64MB. Due to physical constraints the iMac 333 used to only take one 256MB stick, and one 128MB stick for a total of 384MB. These days you can get smaller SO-DIMMs and there are reports of people using 512MB happily. However places like lowendmac and xlr8yourmac have reported people not being able to see more than 256MB in certain models, which is why I stuck with 256 as my maximum.

I ended up giving away the original 32MB to a friend of mine who had an ancient P200 laptop he wanted to upgrade, which worked fine for him.

After the "Revision D" iMacs (333Mhz), apple moved to the iMac "DV" style units (400MHz G3 processors), all of which upgraded to PC100 SDRAM. These are obviously much easier to source RAM for, and work with up to 1GB of RAM (which is what a mate of mine recently did to his iMacDV 400MHz).

And for goodness sake, don't run RedHat! Go grab yourself a copy of YellowDog linux, and forever be rid of RedHat's sluggish distro:

10th July 2004, 04:07 PM
thank's elvis for the input and everything else, I went to the site and found that it's in brisbane, (faints, (lives in melbourne)).

thanks anyway because now I know what to look for at least, but I think I'll get myself a nice imac DV se "500" and run yellowdog on it.

EDIT: would anyone know how to get a copy of yellow dog linux as I don't think they deliver overseas??

10th July 2004, 08:41 PM
Yellowdog is downloadable. lsl.com.au used to sell burned cd's, but I haven't been there for quite a while, and their prices had shot up considerably when I last was.

Otherwise, you could ask if someone would burn you a YDL CD set for the costs associated + postage.

10th July 2004, 10:21 PM
for a list of ftp mirrors see here:

Internode also have it on their ftp mirror ('node customers only)

11th July 2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by macman_99@Jul 10 2004, 05:07 PM
thank's elvis for the input and everything else, I went to the site and found that it's in brisbane, (faints, (lives in melbourne)).
Any official Apple reseller should have access to the same stuff. Try ringing your local Apple reseller and asking if they can get the parts in, as well as do the upgrade for you if you aren't too tech savvy.