PDA

View Full Version : Running The Gimp

tempestas
1st August 2005, 08:29 PM
I downloaded the GIMP 2.2.6 from SourceForge and it downloaded and when I launch, X11 launches then the GIMP dissapears from the dock and X11 remains running.

So yes I am a X11 newbie and I am probably missing something.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Currawong
1st August 2005, 08:33 PM
You can download something like Gimpshop or a similar version which automatically boots up X11 and runs in it. That's probably the easiest way to run it.

Are you using one of those versions?

The other way is to install Fink and then "fink install gimp". You'd then run it from a terminal inside of X11, ie: launching it from the command line.

dangelovich
1st August 2005, 08:50 PM
I use Gimp.app, which is basically an app that opens the Gimp in X11 with just a double click.

tempestas
1st August 2005, 09:21 PM
Dangelovich I think it is Gimp.app is what I downloaded - its got a fox icon. Followed the link from the Apple Tiger page.

Currawong, so I need fink to run the app and launch Gimp from the command line?

Showing my unix lack of knowledge, what is the lauch app command, or is it just a case of typing "gimp" like emacs or vi etc.

Thanks for the quick responses

.... Just found www.gimp.org/macintosh this should get me started.

Don't know how I missed this before.

hawker
2nd August 2005, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by tempestas@Aug 1 2005, 07:59 PM
I downloaded the GIMP 2.2.6 from SourceForge
Everytime I read this, I go straight back to Pulp Fiction and "Bring out the gimp..."

tempestas
2nd August 2005, 08:23 PM
Pulp Fiction references aside, when I launched in another login I got "caching fonts" then the Gimp icon dissapeared leaving X11 running.

I'm assuming I need to run some command to configure gimp to run. Looking on gimp.org has told me how to try compiling it from source code, which is something I'm not wanting to try just at the moment.

I'll download the app again later and see what happens.

machead
24th August 2005, 05:00 PM
Hey tempestas
I had exactly the same experience.

Does anyone know how to get gimp.app to run?

batb0y
14th October 2005, 11:59 AM
Just installed X11 of my 10.4.2 discs - no problems there.

Got Gimp 2.2.8 from the macintosh pages from gimp.org - no problems there.

However when I installed Gimp, an option came up regarding using X11 menu's or the apps menus. Not understanding the option I clicked YES - keep the X11 menu.

Well now when I use Gimp - all I see on the top menu bar are the X11 menu. All of the Gimp menu's are on the individual "windows" which is frustrating.

I've tried dumping the Gimp into the Trash from the Application folder - but when I re-installed I didn't get the option about the menus again.

Can anyone help please ?

iMick
14th October 2005, 12:12 PM
When I upgraded to Tiger it broke my gimp. I am pretty sure it is a tiger thing. I use seashore now which is a gimp modded with carbon (i think) to run natively without x11.

batb0y
14th October 2005, 12:15 PM
Gimp is running fine. Its the menu's accross the top thats the problem.

dagaz
17th December 2005, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by batb0y@Oct 14 2005, 12:15 PM
Gimp is running fine. Its the menu's accross the top thats the problem.
This is the expected behaviour for any program running under X11. There is, as yet, no native OSX version of Gimp.app, so you'll be stuck with the menus in the windows until such a time.

I have never had any problems running Gimp.app under X11, am currently running 10.4.3. For those of you experiencing problems with Gimp, it installs two invisible folders into your home directory: .fonts.cache and .gimp-X.x (with X.x being version number). Use "ls -a" to confirm they are there then use "rm -r" to remove these folders then try running Gimp again.

Maticks
19th December 2005, 12:27 AM
The original gimpshop site has lots of info i posted it early in the year on here.
You still need X11 but at least its photoshop like.

http://plasticbugs.com/?page_id=294

Anelle
1st January 2006, 08:00 PM
I too am trying to get GIMP up and running on my 'puter. I have very little knowledge or skill when it comes to my iMac G5 I'm afraid, though I don't mind a challenge - but I didn't think it was going to be so difficult to get this to work! :blink:

When I try to run the program, it tells me that it needs X11 - but when I try to install X11 I am told that newer software is on my machine. I've checked under /applications/utilities and cannot see X11 there (though I may be looking in the wrong place?).

I'm running OS X 10.4.3. My Mac OS X Install Disc 1 is Version 10.4.

Any help greatly appreciated :)

zbaron
1st January 2006, 08:31 PM
Yes, there is a command line something to run to make the GIMP work. Its to do with the system wide X11 fonts. I cannot remember exactly what to run. Have you tried opening /Applications/Utilities/Console and have a look at console.log while you run GIMP.app. The program to run could be "/usr/X11R6/bin/fc-cache", it will need to be run with sudo.

Anelle, there should be an X11 icon in /Applications/Utilities if it is installed. If not, check for files called X11SDK.pkg or X11User.pkg in /Library/Receipts. You can remove these and then try reinstalling X11 again.

Anelle
1st January 2006, 08:45 PM
Good evening zbaron, thank you for your assistance :) I kept trawling the threads here and found the answer that I was looking for. I just had to do the optional install for the x11 from my OS X insall disk as the download was too old it seemed. All is working well now :)

Thanks again :)

forgie
4th January 2006, 10:23 PM
Well I haven't run the Gimp, but after reading this thread I downloaded Seashore, which is a Carbon app that uses the Gimps libraries.... Seashore is perfect if you just need basic (but powerful) image editing functionality with the greatest ease of use (including installation.... it's a proper .app, so there's no command line compiling or X11 here)

kit
6th January 2006, 01:11 AM
Don't bother with Gimp.app and X11 and things; download Seashore (http://seashore.sourceforge.net/index.php) - the Cocoa port of The GIMP. It's not as pretty as Photoshop, but it's a heck of a lot better than having to load X11 (from a memory point of view too).

maXim
2nd February 2006, 12:18 PM
I had a heap of trouble getting GIMP.app to run after my latest reinstall. I found that GIMP.app would start and then hang when the splash screen came up.

I was able to fix the problem by reinstall X11 from my Tiger DVD and then remove ~/.gimp-2.2 and GIMP.app and reinstall.

Hope this helps.

maXim