PDA

View Full Version : Entourage is a piece of shit

SoVeReIgN
6th November 2009, 10:34 AM
Can anybody help me out with a piece of software that can repair databases properly?

I have one that entourage refuses to verify or rebuild, and entouraid (A 6year old program that Microsoft still mentions on their website) can't help me.

I'll leave my other list of grievances with the poor excuse for an email program that is entourage out of this thread.

dotnet
6th November 2009, 10:50 AM
What version of Office? I've got 2008 and the built-in DB check/repair/backup tools seems to work ok.

Cheers
Steffen.

mitty
6th November 2009, 10:52 AM
I guess it depends how badly the database is damaged. If you were in the middle of downloading some huge email and lost power, there's a possibility the database may be irrecoverable.

Muzzer
6th November 2009, 11:16 AM
I agree its rubbish.
I have the latest version and I've been trying to use it at work.
The thing that peeed me off was that if you receive a message with formating, and you want to forward it, it won't maintain the formatting. Completely screws it up. The only way to do it is to forward the received message as an attachment.

I ended up having to load bootcamp and buy a copy of Office for Windows.
Microsoft can't even get the basics right with Entourage, IMHO.

maghemi
6th November 2009, 01:39 PM
Well lets see how they go when they release Outlook for Mac next year. Hopefully it will be as good as the windows counterpart.

But in relation to OP. Personally I've not come across any useful recovery programs for the latest Entourage. As you have already discovered support is mainly old now and for previous versions.

I personally think MS did it like this for those few years to deter business users from giving up Windows in favour of Macs.

Albert_Thurgood
6th November 2009, 02:32 PM
Can anybody help me out with a piece of software that can repair databases properly?

I have one that entourage refuses to verify or rebuild, and entouraid (A 6year old program that Microsoft still mentions on their website) can't help me.

I'll leave my other list of grievances with the poor excuse for an email program that is entourage out of this thread.

I had a similar problem with them.

I used Emailchemy to rescue the library and export to Mail. Never touched Entourage again. Emailchemy is shareware - you can see if it works for you but you will actually have to register if you want to get the emails back.

Jaffa
6th November 2009, 02:45 PM
(A 6year old program that Microsoft still mentions on their website)

6 year old software is still considered relatively new by Microsoft standards, I mean, look at XP :)

</smartass-comment>

El Guardo
6th November 2009, 03:12 PM
About two months ago I devoted four days to recovering emails from a corrupt Entourage database - although my situations was slightly different in so far as the file I received had already gone through different versions of Entrouage and, as a result, different versions of the database repair tool. Storing everything in one file (with associated abysmal file size limits) is a stupid idea and the two things I learned from this process were (1) don't ever use Entourage, and (2) if you do have to ignore (1) make sure you have a very reliable backup system as fixing the database file is a nightmare.

If I can offer you one final suggestion - as soon as a the file is corrupted, make a copy of it, work on the copy, and only work in the version of Entourage you were originally using. Once you update or upgrade your version of Entourage you rely on a new daemon and that severely complicates matters.