PDA

View Full Version : Who is happy with their iPhone telco?

skip73
5th November 2009, 11:58 PM
I'm coming back to brisbane and looking to choose a telco. I've been out of Australia for 8 years so I have lost touch in terms of who is good and who is not. I'm hearing a bit of negative talk with Optus so I'm curious how the others fair.

Vote for the telco you like the best is terms of being generally happy with their service across the board

LandLord
6th November 2009, 05:55 AM
You should add options to the poll for all the telcos again, but with who is unhappy with them. Eg. - Telstra: Unhappy

Jaste
6th November 2009, 07:45 AM
I'm with Optus and not happy. I am in Paddington QLD with direct line of site to the city 2 kms away and can't get a 3G signal in a wooden house. I have to go stand outside to stop calls dropping. Reception at the airport where I work has improved over the last 12 months but 3G there is still hit and miss.

kyte
6th November 2009, 08:22 AM
Telstra Prepaid: offers are much better value than their postpaid plans, and their Talk and Text offers are better than most other telcos. You don't get as much data, but you can use it (and top it up when you need to) and don't have to deal with network congestion or locality problems in most cases. There are some places which don't get great reception, more's the pity, but for the most part, with Telstra, you'd be set.

Remy
6th November 2009, 08:50 AM
Totally unhappy with Optus. Their 'upgrade path' was insanely lame and their coverage still sucks.

Simonic
6th November 2009, 09:11 AM
No complaints with my Iphone Vodafone account.
I use about 60% personal and 40% work
I live and use it mainly in the inner Melbourne area although I do spend a bit of time in North Shore Sydney and Baulkham Hills area of Sydney with no probs (3g / call reception)
had the iphone for just over a year.
-s

grfxninja
6th November 2009, 09:30 AM
I'm now with Telstra (postpaid) after being on Virgin (Optus).
For similar money I get similar call allowance, but stuff all data.
Telstra - $10 bolt-on data pack gives 150mb
Virgin had 1GB included

Difference is, I can actually use my data with Telstra ;)
No call drop outs, data works 99% of the time and at very good speeds.
Telstra wins for me… (as much as I hate saying that!)

NeoRicen
6th November 2009, 10:29 AM
On Vodafone, hate it. Network coverage and performance is worse than I had on Optus which wasn't that bad. Probably gonna bite the bullet and go to Telstra next time.

defekt
6th November 2009, 10:38 AM
im with optus and dissatisfied, considering virgin after my contract is up

grfxninja
6th November 2009, 10:42 AM
im with optus and dissatisfied, considering virgin after my contract is up

Virgin uses Optus network.
Out of the frying pan into the fire…

sobie2000
6th November 2009, 10:45 AM
Was with Optus when iPhone was released here in aus and it was terrible. Slow speeds here in Adelaide and was often unusable interstate eg gold coast when I visited.

Now on vodaphone with my 3gs and excellent reliable calls and excellent Internet speeds.

Best option however is to source an unlocked phone and go with telstra prepaid though.

lenman74
6th November 2009, 11:50 AM
Im on virgin and hate it.

It would be ok if the crappy coverage was constant, but it changes every day. One day I get service somewhere and then for a couple of days its gone, and then its back again. Its the variability that is killing me.

Whats with this anyway? Have they got antennae that are mobile or something. Why would the reception vary data to day.

Not happy.

davidw89
6th November 2009, 11:55 AM
TPG $50 Premium plan.

500MB and $1000 worth of calls (barely go through half). All good here as i have a lot of quota to blow = )

Optus network is fine (probably because i live really close to the city) but i hear notorious stores regarding TPG's support centre. Haha lucky me for being tech savy enough not to deal with them - D

areal
6th November 2009, 11:59 AM
Optus have awful service and awful customer service.

marc
6th November 2009, 12:16 PM
Happy with Voda (iPhone).

Wasn't happy with Optus (iPhone).

Am also happy with Telstra (Wireless Broadband).

Soliah
7th November 2009, 06:45 AM
Got 4 actively used mobiles on Telstra, 2 being used with iPhone 3G/S and 1 being used with the original 2G with no issues.

ceretec
7th November 2009, 02:03 PM
Was very unhappy with Virgin and now very happy with Telstra prepaid :) I'm not a high volume user but I like to be able to use data on my iPhone when I want. I've never looked back since moving over to Telstra.

Ecto1
7th November 2009, 07:08 PM
Was not happy with Optus, but I am now on Voda and is some what happy with them. There serves is better but the costumer serves is balls.

Dux
7th November 2009, 09:03 PM
Thoroughly happy with Telstra network.

Thoroughly pissed at their billing. They send me a bill for $0.00, and then threaten to cut off my service at the end of the month because the bill wasn't paid for. lol wut - the bill was actually something like $180, but the paper bill was $0.00.

For context I switched from Virgin, who have the shitty Optus network to run on, and terrible billing as well. Oh well, a 50% improvement is something at least.

joyoung087
7th November 2009, 09:10 PM
No real problems with Optus here, one issue with billing but other then that it has been relatively smooth sailing.

Comet
7th November 2009, 09:30 PM
Tried, Telstra, Optus, Virgin, and 3 on the iPhone. Ended up being with Telstra and can't be more happier. Might be paying a bit more but it's worth it as I rely on the iPhone too much.

BoxDog
7th November 2009, 11:17 PM
This poll is extremely flawed. We don't get to see the number of people who ARENT happy with their providers - so all the results show is a view of the number of people here who are happy with their provider. Big deal.

Anyway I'm with Telstra postpaid because a family member is a Telstra employee so I get the Telstra "staff plan" which is more or less the $49 cap plan with cheaper call rates for $39/month. She said they might be improving it too soon. Anyway I still have to add data so I am on $10 for 150Mb a month. What I don't get is if I want to extend that to 300Mb (the next level up) I don't pay $20, that would be too logical. Instead I pay $30. lol wtf

Domenic
8th November 2009, 08:17 AM
I switched over to Vodafone from Optus because of the horrid 3G network. It pains me to say that where I live, the Vodafone network is no better, if not worse, than the Optus network.

I think next year when I get my new iPhone, I'm going to go with Telstra, even though they're painfully expensive.

haydio
8th November 2009, 08:38 AM
My iPhone is with Optus, who are terrible.

Wireless broadband is Vodafone who are just as bad.

When my contract is up on my phone I'm going on a Telstra Business plan.

spilla
8th November 2009, 11:34 AM
I'm pretty happy with Optus, I get 3G coverage 95% of the time, and normally get 2-3mb download speeds.

The only problem is the issue where calls don't ring my phone, and go straight to voicemail, but I'm pretty sure that's just the phone. :(

wolfie
8th November 2009, 01:28 PM
its not the phone.

MacDub
19th November 2009, 01:12 PM
Was on Optus with my 3G, bailed on them the day after my 12 month contract expired.

Have my 3GS on Vodafone and despite the 32 pages worth of billing I receive (why they don't summarise 3GB of data charges into one line item, I don't know) I'm quite happy with them, and the coverage is leagues above Optus around the eastern suburbs of Melbourne.

Ecto1
20th November 2009, 08:40 AM
After a short battle with Vodafone I am happy with them again. I still get the odd no serves message but not as bad as I did when I was on Optus.

polo
22nd November 2009, 07:58 PM
i have only had a small reception problem once. vodafone has been flawless for me i dont use allot of 3g though

angusg
24th November 2009, 12:07 AM
Vodafone might cover 90 something of the population or whatever, but if you're visiting nearly either of my relatives (both on different parts of the Sunshine Coast, QLD) you might as well hold your wallet to your ear.

There seems to be about 4 dead spots within my room (I'll get random voicemail messages as it comes back into service) and I get no service from my bathroom whatsoever (I'm what you'd call a toilet gamer... It's ok though, I get wifi in there). Everywhere else I visit regularly, friends, work (I don't visit my parents regularly enough), it works beautifully.

Edit: overall I'm happy enough with it, except when trying to SMS from my bedroom and having to find the sweet spot on my ironing board but for the money I can't complain. I think I had better service with my Nokia 6680 on 3 though.

nike1
27th November 2009, 09:15 PM
im happy with my telco..
although since i got an iphone..ive recharged twice..and for the life of me i cant figure out where all my credit goes..
i download Apps using my home wi-fi connection..
its odd..
all my mail things are turned off so i have to check them manually..

kinda off topic i know..but can anyone help?? thanks

Ecto1
27th November 2009, 09:37 PM
im happy with my telco..
although since i got an iphone..ive recharged twice..and for the life of me i cant figure out where all my credit goes..
its odd..

Are you with Vodafone by any chance? According to them it dose not matter if you are connected over WiFi or not, you will still be charged for network data. Trust me, I've just had a battle with Vodafone with this. Vodafone was charging me $1400 for data. Straight away I got onto them about it. In the end I took them to the TIO and after a 5 min phone call to Voda got the bill dropped by $1200.

Nightwish
27th November 2009, 09:38 PM
Are you with Vodafone by any chance? According to them it dose not matter if you are connected over WiFi or not, you will still be charged for network data. .

Surely that can't be legal. :eek:

imacattack
27th November 2009, 10:00 PM
I'm more happy with Optus then with 3 becuase 3 makes fake phone calls to me making out I am late with my bills when I am not just to get me to add more service's to my account I'm now sick off it.

nike1
28th November 2009, 07:47 AM
Are you with Vodafone by any chance? According to them it dose not matter if you are connected over WiFi or not, you will still be charged for network data. Trust me, I've just had a battle with Vodafone with this. Vodafone was charging me $1400 for data. Straight away I got onto them about it. In the end I took them to the TIO and after a 5 min phone call to Voda got the bill dropped by $1200.

yeah im with vodafone..
if thats the case..does anyone know if telstra charges you to use your own wifi network?? if they dont i may just have to switch to them

Ecto1
28th November 2009, 08:33 AM
Surely that can't be legal. :eek:

When I was talking to the TIO about it, most of them where scratching there heads about it. I used the argument that it is misleading to there customers.

dekco
28th November 2009, 12:39 PM
im happy with my telco..
its odd..

how about your mail settings? I think I had mail running on the hour every hour, and it ate thru my credit of about $8 in 7hrs. Which sounds about right, since prepaid (silly idea i know) cost about $1.60/60kb.

MrJesseRoss
28th November 2009, 01:44 PM
yeah im with vodafone..
if thats the case..does anyone know if telstra charges you to use your own wifi network?? if they dont i may just have to switch to them

Unless your wifi connection is provided by Telstra, no, they don't charge you. It's a completely different service.

After a few weeks with my iPhone on 3 I'm pretty happy. When I'm in 3 coverage areas downloads are just about as fast as my own wifi connection at home, which is nice. I'm not a heavy user, I really only use Twitter, Google Reader and Mactalk on the iPhone, so my $8/month bolt-on data plan does me well.

nike1
28th November 2009, 03:57 PM
all my mail settings are turned off. so i have to check them manually.
and my wifi internet is with telstra.

asgr8
28th November 2009, 04:17 PM
Happy with three..

Roaming charges suck but what you can do .. i dont use data when i am roaming anyway :D