PDA

View Full Version : TimeTuner: greatest alarm clock radio app?

macaholic
5th November 2009, 10:22 PM
Hi all.
I gotta say this app is awesome, see:

TimeTuner (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=332673293&mt=8)

kyte
6th November 2009, 06:46 AM
Looks good, might be an alternative to a big chunky clock radio and a use for my iphone 2G

tcn33
6th November 2009, 07:24 AM
macaholic, can you confirm if Clear Channel stations in the US play through this app? e.g KBCO or KTCL. Generally they're blocked for IP ranges outside the US.

bwickens
6th November 2009, 08:42 AM
Hi, this is Brett Wickens, the inventor of TimeTuner™.

Currently, we support all streams that meet the following conditions:

1) they are offered by RadioTime, from who we license the streams. Visit RadioTime: Find and listen to Talk, Music and Local Radio Online (http://www.radiotime.com) for a list of all stations they stream

-- AND --

2) the streams are served in iPhone native formats (MP3, protected MP3 or AAC)

We currently do not support Microsoft WMA streams as the iPhone does not natively support them. We are, however, working on our own translation CODECS so that we can eventually offer up ALL 30,000 RadioTime streams.

All future updates are of course free to current users.

We have a twitter feed (twitter.com/dreamsurface) and a fan page on Facebook (DreamSurface | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/DreamSurface/155981451480)) which includes a discussion area for people to post idea requests for future updates.

Hope this information helps!

Cheers
Brett
DreamSurface

dreamsurface.com

kyte
8th November 2009, 06:59 AM
Glad to see iphone devs out and about. I bought the app last night after having failed to find one I wanted. The radio streams actually werent a selling point for me but they do tend to add a bit of pizazz. I was chuffed to see ABC radio in there :)

The test for me will be at 5am tomorrow, when I am off to work.

I do find though, that even at its dimmest, the iphone is too bright for the room. I don't recall if it can go to sleep overnight?

bwickens
8th November 2009, 04:43 PM
Hi, unfortunately Apple does not allow devs to control the hardware brightness, so our workaround is a translucent overlay that dims the screen. There are two things you can do: turn down the hardware brightness of the iPhone in your general settings before going to bed (this is what I do) -- OR -- you can turn the screen off altogether with the power button on top (this is what my wife does!).

If TimeTuner is running, it will still run with the screen turned off. You will just have to 'unlock' your phone in the morning when the alarm sounds.

macaholic
8th November 2009, 06:52 PM
... OR -- you can turn the screen off altogether with the power button on top (this is what my wife does!).
If TimeTuner is running, it will still run with the screen turned off. You will just have to 'unlock' your phone in the morning when the alarm sounds.

Yes, another option (to not have to unlock) that Apple needs to add.

Feature request, if I may: Shake to Snooze.
So one doesn't have to focus on, and interface with, a bright buttonless screen in the wee hours - when a few more minutes sleep is needed!

kyte
9th November 2009, 05:01 AM
Hi, unfortunately Apple does not allow devs to control the hardware brightness, so our workaround is a translucent overlay that dims the screen. There are two things you can do: turn down the hardware brightness of the iPhone in your general settings before going to bed (this is what I do) -- OR -- you can turn the screen off altogether with the power button on top (this is what my wife does!).

OH! wish I read this last night. I ended up not running it, and relied on the old bulky clockradio instead. tonight is the night then :)

bwickens
9th November 2009, 05:48 AM
Shake to Snooze.

Noted. :)