PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Handbrake

Granny Mac
5th November 2009, 11:27 AM
After updating to S/L I was having troubles with Handbrake (screen going black) so I uploaded their latest snapshot.

In the notes they are dropping AVI coding.

Understand the reason why but I like to keep copies of TV shows on my HD and prefer AVI because each ep is only about 350mb, and I watch them on my Macbook so I'm happy with the quality.

Is their any viable alternatives out there. I'm also having all kinds of problems with Handbrake since updating to S/L.

Any suggestions

catbert6
5th November 2009, 12:12 PM
For ripping dvds or transcoding?

FOr the former, try Mac the Ripper - for the later, you could try Video Monkey

glacierdave
5th November 2009, 12:18 PM
I'm using the SVN releases of HandBrake on my MBP (S/L as a fresh install) without any particular issues. Mostly being used to transcode avi to watch on my ipod touch.

As to file sizes, you can tell HandBrake to produce a 350MB file and it will. I'm doing this on tv shows without any noticeable change in playback quality.

I looked around for an alternative and didn't find one...

David

gilligan911
5th November 2009, 12:28 PM
I still use Visual Hub for most of my encoding but I used Video Monkey yesterday to do a 720p encode for Apple TV from a BD source. It worked fine, was stablbe and had no problems playing it on the Apple TV.

I would recommend giving Visual Monkey a go.

zbaron
5th November 2009, 12:38 PM
Well, as AVI is only a container format dropping it should not be much of a problem. It is a combination of the codec and bit-rate that will determine the size of the resulting file.

Granny Mac
5th November 2009, 01:39 PM
I'm currently trialing Mac Dvd ripper pro and that is going very well, and it's only $10 so it looks like that's a winner.

So correct me if I'm wrong cause I'm not sure, because Mdrp is doing an exact copy of the dvd, I can now use Video Monkey to convert to a smaller file and edit out the bits I don't want, is that right