PDA

View Full Version : Rapid interval "spinning beachball of death" = sluggish

Reubania
4th November 2009, 05:22 PM
Hi,

I have been having this problem for the past 2 days.

MacBook Air (rev A)
Snow Leopard 10.6.1
18GB HDD free

I've noticed I get the "spinning beachball" nearly after every process (for example):

* Slow "checking password" when logging on after sleep
* Everytime I click on a link in Safari
* Everytime after I select to read a new message in Mail
* Everytime I add a new Event in iCal
* Everytime I scroll down a page in Safari

You get my drift. I don't know why as I do not have many programs open and I know that it's not a data/internet speed issue. This makes surfing the internet and doing menial jobs an absolute chore.

Activity Monitor does not really give me much clues and it looks in order.

I've restarted/shut down my MBA multiple times and still the problem persists! It's really annoying!

Can someone please help me identify what is wrong with my MBA? It was working fine after upgrading to SL. And the only event that I can think of recently that might have contributed to it was that the actual start up of the machine took a little longer than normal (grey screen with Apple logo) and I thus reseted the MBA pressing and holding down the power button.

Any suggestions?

ClockWork
4th November 2009, 06:13 PM
What's the capacity of your Hard Drive and how much of it have you used?

Click once on your Macontosh HD to highlight it and then hit :cmd: and I on your keyboard, to see its Info Window.

Reubania
4th November 2009, 06:22 PM
Capacity: 79.68 GB
Available: 18.29 GB
Used: 61.39 GB

ClockWork
4th November 2009, 08:51 PM
It very well might be that you have a quarter of Startup Disk space left.
It may also be how much RAM is being allocated to all applications.

Open Macintosh HD, open Application folder, open Utilities folder, and open the Activity Monitor, to see what's hogging the most amount of RAM.
Click on top right button: My Processes and scroll up to: All Processes, and then look at everything underneath the Real column.

Also, it might be worthwhile creating a Test New User Account, as shown here (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/18/67836-basic-fully-visual-tutorials-switch-user-account.html), to make sure there isn't something astray in your present User Account.

Albert_Thurgood
6th June 2010, 08:01 PM
Reubania, did you resolve this problem? If so, how?

Reubania
7th June 2010, 06:30 PM
I have, but I cannot remember for the life of me what I did. I remember that this problem has been documented before, and I must have gotten some advice on the Support section of the Apple website.

But I do remember that I didn't reformat it or restore it with SL again. It was a relatively simple fix. I'm sorry I cannot be more specific about it, as you can see, it was decades ago!