PDA

View Full Version : Airport Extreme??? Help!

clueless
3rd November 2009, 03:34 PM
Hi
We've just bought one of the new 27" iMac's and I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing, lol.

What is the built in Airport Extreme? Does it mean I can just connect to a wireless broadband plan or do I need to buy a modem or base station first?

Any help much appreciated!

leon
3rd November 2009, 03:35 PM
Hi
We've just bought one of the new 27" iMac's and I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing, lol.

What is the built in Airport Extreme? Does it mean I can just connect to a wireless broadband plan or do I need to buy a modem or base station first?

Any help much appreciated!

You will need a modem and wireless router first. Airport Extreme within the iMac just means it can connect to a wireless router.

rmac
3rd November 2009, 03:44 PM
if you have a ADSL connection in your home and a modem/router already you can just plug an ethernet cord into your iMac from the router. If you want to connect to your ADSL wirelessly you can get an access point such as the Airport Extreme Base Station or any other brand of wireless access point or router.

a wireless broadband plan is if you dont have an DSL connection to your house. its usually just a USB stick and doesnt use the Airport in your iMac.