PDA

View Full Version : Unable to boot

perish
2nd November 2009, 08:44 PM
Hi all,

I have an issue which I'm hoping someone can help with....

I was upgrading 10.4 to 10.5 on my mums Macbook Pro from an external FW drive, when the thing got stuck (I think, from the pointer which was the 'coloured' circle) and had sat there for over an hour, I shut the machine down and tried to reboot, to no avail. I then removed the FW drive and tried to reboot, and it gets to the Apple logo with the 'wait' circle.....and now it just sits there.

I'm not sure what to do.... I have no problems reformatting, however I need to get her photos off the HD. (reason I was trying to upgrade was to run time machine to auto backup her photos of her grand kids.)

Please help me.

Mac Ram
2nd November 2009, 09:36 PM
Have you tried booting off the external FW drive - hold down option key until you get to a screen that lets you choose the external drive to boot of.

Assuming the external is bootable.

perish
2nd November 2009, 09:51 PM
Thank you, this has got me into the install process again, however now I find out I don't have 7G free for the install. However there is a 35G partition for Windows. There should be no problem to make the partition bigger, smaller, but I have no idea how. I did somehow, boot into Unix? earlier. Where it told me startup failed..??

perish
2nd November 2009, 09:57 PM
ps. If it's any help, I have a Powerbook running 10.5 if that's any help.

Mac Ram
2nd November 2009, 09:59 PM
I would be trying to free up some space.

Changing the partition size is beyond me (particularly if it involves some terminal wizardry) - hopefully somebody else will pipe in to help.

raj
4th November 2009, 08:50 AM
Are the photos on the MacbookPro which no longer boots? If they are, the easiest thing to do is boot the MBP in target mode (hold down T on the keyboard after restarting it).

You'll get a giant Firewire symbol in the middle of the screen. This turns the computer into a giant external hard drive. Plug it in via FW to another computer and copy off what you want.

Once you've done that, stick in a OS X install disc, reboot the MBP holding down "C" to boot from the DVD/CD drive and then do a complete erase & install.

perish
4th November 2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks bro, that's great to know moving forwards.

I had found another solution, which was to boot using a FW drive, and instal OSX on the WIN partition, enabling me to get the required data, remove it then update the OS on he unbootable partition (the original one). Took me a couple of days and many hours of fretting to work this one out. But it worked. I had no idea about the FW using it as a drive.

Thanks again for trying to assist. Always my goto man :)