PDA

View Full Version : Attempting to share Address Book contacts between accounts

ada_lovelace
2nd November 2009, 06:48 PM
I have multiple user accounts set up on a machine, and want to share the same address book contacts between all of them. I thought I'd managed to successfully do this by replacing each user's ~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook folder with a symbolic link to the same folder, which I put in /Users/Shared, and turning on read/write permissions for all the users. It worked, sort of, in that each user can now see the same contacts from their own Address Book. But - only the user who actually created the contacts is allowed to edit any of them (the Edit button is greyed out in all the other accounts).

Is there a simple (or even complicated) fix for this? Or am I just being over-ambitious and trying to cheat the system?

dagaz
2nd November 2009, 08:19 PM
I share my address book through different user accounts by using dropbox (http://www.getdropbox.com/). I basically did the same thing as you - put my addressbook (and iCal) folders in my dropbox (instead of /Users/Shared ) and then symlinks in my user library pointing back to the dropbox folders. Works flawlessly.

ada_lovelace
2nd November 2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks dagaz - I'll give that a go and see if it works.