PDA

View Full Version : Time Machine restored files hidden. How to find them?

carlow1
31st October 2009, 05:10 PM
Hi all. I accidentally erased my external HD this afternoon that stores all my music and movies etc. No big deal as I could use Time Machine to restore.

When I did the restore of my music I thought it was restoring to the original location, but it didn't. I think it restored to my iMac HD instead. The thing is I can't see the files anywhere on either of my hard drives. Although there seems to be 50GB of additional space used on my iMac HD. My music files were approximately 52GB in size.

Anyone know why Time Machine didn't restore to the original location, and how can I see the 50GB of files that seem to be hidden on my HD?

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

kyncaid
31st October 2009, 10:22 PM
With the external drive unplugged try the finder
Go -> Go to folder and type
/volumes/NameOfExternelDrive

or even
/volumes to see what is there

carlow1
31st October 2009, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the reply Kyncaid. I decided to wipe my mac HD and restore from my Time Machine backup. Took about 2 hours total, and it's all good now. I've recovered the 50GB of HD space. :)

jonrg39
21st November 2009, 03:43 PM
kyncaid
Hello. I am having the same problem. I attempted to restore a lot of files from time machine to my macbook pro. I cant find any files that were restored (after waiting nearly 2 hours), but I did manage to cut my HD space in half. I cant find where the restore went to get my HD space back. I am running snow leopard if that means anything.
I didn't understand what you were telling carlow1 to do. Any help would be awesome.