View Full Version : Next Powerbook Update?

30th July 2005, 07:51 PM
Looks like the pBook is the next product in line for an update in the coming months judging from previous releases however I'm just wondering what excatly they could do to make it worthwhile?

The new iBooks have closed the gap slightly (@ the low end) but I get the impression the G4 won't be getting much quicker in the mobile factor & the move to a different processor will not make the next update.

Apart from next gen GPUs I can't see much ahead for the pBook until the Intel switch.
Any thought? Pure speculation here. :P

30th July 2005, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Kildare@Jul 30 2005, 07:51 PM
Apart from next gen GPUs I can't see much ahead for the pBook until the Intel switch.
Any thought? Pure speculation here. :P
I'm hoping the cpu speed restrictions will force Apple to do some more neat stuff - even if they don't push the CPU ahead due to freescale just not making anything quicker, perhaps they can give powerbooks huge memory ceilings (4GB anyone?), higher res screens, better GPUs... who knows what else they can come up with. The scrolly trackpad and motion sensor are neat additions, more things like that would help massively.


30th July 2005, 08:56 PM
Is the G4 stuck at 1.67?
I know there are 1.8 upgrade cards, but i heard they were overclocked, anyone shed light on that?

Its awfully depressing if thats the case, because it'll be the better part of a year till we see pentium-m's in them......... but then, it'll be absolutely awesome, windows and macintosh on a notebook with kick ass specs...... seriously can't wait.

30th July 2005, 09:23 PM
I cant wait for the Pentium M based powerbooks! I have a rev. C 12" PB which should keep me going untel then. My Guess is that a lot more people who are from PC land will buy powerbooks just for their looks and superior build. As long as Apple doesnt start using onboard video in favor of dedicated video, thats all good.

As for the next powerbook bump, higher res displays would be nice, and maybe 7200RPM drives for high end models... who knows?

30th July 2005, 09:27 PM
I thought there was a DualCore 2GHz G4 maybe not suitable for laptops thou?

30th July 2005, 10:53 PM
I'm with hsvguy in that I'm also waiting for the Pentium M based powerbooks. Until then, I'm stuck with my iBook G4 800 and Toshiba Tecra A4 combination :(

Regarding what they would do to Powerbooks, I guess it depends how many generations away the Pentium M PBs are. I can't see Apple being able to justify massive changes if they're only going to release another one or two revs. I agree with danamania in that there will probably be some modest CPU speed bumps, GPU upgrades, and other cool little tweaks, but that's probably going to be it.

Hopefully I'll be proved wrong and the PB team will cram some other drool-worthy features in though!