PDA

View Full Version : How to rip BlueRay discs on my Mac?

Sascha
28th October 2009, 01:49 PM
Hi everybody,

I’m in the process of setting up a Mac Media Centre and need some help with HD content.

I have used Handbrake to rip all of my legally purchased DVDs and stored them on a server, now I would like to do the same with my BlueRay discs.

For reference: My countries law states that a person can make up to sever copies of a legally purchased disc for private use like play in the car or for backup purposes.

My Questions:

#1 Does anybody know of a program like Handbrake to rip BlueRay Discs on a Mac?
#2 Has anybody used the Windows program “AnyDVD HD” to rip the BR discs and than played it on a Mac (in FrontRow or Quicktime)?
#3 Has anybody used a Component PCI-X hardware import card to capture analog HD video (like PCI-X card “Intensity Pro” from Blackmagic)?

Thanks

Sascha

gehenna
28th October 2009, 01:53 PM
I have had succes with ripping Blu-ray and HD DVD discs using AnyDVD-HD but only managed to get them to play back in TotalMedia Theatre and VLC.

billybob
28th October 2009, 04:01 PM
MakeMKV (http://www.makemkv.com/)

Sascha
29th October 2009, 12:54 AM
Hi Billybob,

I checked your link to "MakeMKV" and it looks interesting, however I'm not sure if I understand it's purpose and functions fully!

Does it read comercial BlueRay movie disc, removes the copy protection and converts it into a MKV file which again could be converted into a Quicktime file or strait be watched with VLC player on a Mac.

If that is correct and please correct me if not, have you used this program with an BlueRay disc?

Thanks

Sascha

billybob
20th November 2009, 08:48 PM
Yes to all of the above. I have used it, and continue to use it, with no problems.

BoxDog
20th November 2009, 10:08 PM
Whats a good Bluray drive to use on a Mac?