PDA

View Full Version : VMware fusion version 3 released

recd
27th October 2009, 10:47 PM
VMware Fusion: Run Windows on Mac, for Mac Desktop Virtualization (http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/)

Version 3 has full support for windows 7 32 and 64 bit.

Huy
27th October 2009, 11:42 PM
Thanks! Just updated. Very nice - doesn't bother me with that VM library anymore.

I got rid of that Application Launcher in the menubar as well.

Zurg
28th October 2009, 05:50 AM
I'm finding it to be extremely good release. I turned aero on in windows, I don't know if this then puts all the graphical stuff onto the gpu but it makes the entire vm much more responsive. So in my short experience so far fantastic stuff. (It is however causing my fans to run a lot, but that is ok)

leon
28th October 2009, 07:04 AM
Do people think that the 12 month subscription is a $$$$ making exercise? I ask because surely they are not going to release version 4 within 12 months. Or are they saying that when they update to 3.1, that they are going to charge you rather than download it for free.

Price differential is,
$47 to upgrade Version 2 to 3.
$120 to upgrade Version 2 to 3 with 12 month subscription.

I'm confused?

Jaste
28th October 2009, 07:30 AM
Do people think that the 12 month subscription is a $$$$ making exercise? I ask because surely they are not going to release version 4 within 12 months. Or are they saying that when they update to 3.1, that they are going to charge you rather than download it for free.

Price differential is,
$47 to upgrade Version 2 to 3.
$120 to upgrade Version 2 to 3 with 12 month subscription.

I'm confused?

I'm confused too. If they do release version 4 within 12 months won't it probably be around $47 as well? What does the other $73 represent? Are they going to release version 5 and 6 as well? Then it would be value ;)

mitty
28th October 2009, 07:43 AM
What's the cheapest one can get hold of a copy? Full version, not upgrade.

Zurg
28th October 2009, 07:56 AM
Um, I thought that was for an antivirus subscription they try and include.
Looked at it again, not so sure now.

gehenna
28th October 2009, 08:05 AM
I think this subscription is separate from the usual antivirus option Zurg, that said I'm at a loss as to what they're actually trying to push here. Might just go for the cheap option for now, hell, it's not me paying for it anyway....right boss? ;-)

iTy
28th October 2009, 08:15 AM
The way I see it, its a money grab.

The extra dosh is to protect you from a major upgrade in the next 12 months.

In case v4 ("major release") gets released in the next 12 months, then you will be upgrading for free.

Probably not worth it since v3 just came out. If you were to buy this 15 months from now and the rumours suggest an imminent v4 release...you may want to but the insurance.

Maybe Apple should do this for their HW. Might stop people complaining as follows:

"I just bought a MacBook 8 months ago and now Apple screw me by updating the specs..."

goatcatcher
28th October 2009, 08:42 AM
Anyone else having problems using the upgrade section of their website?

It's doing more now than it was last night, but instead of the section where you choose your existing licence to upgrade I'm getting the main page loaded again, and then where the licence should appear in that the typically unhelpful "error page" loads.

What are the chances of getting anything helpful from their support desk at this point in time? I just hope their new release works better than their website.

Is it safe to install the trial and upgrade the licence for that?

gehenna
28th October 2009, 08:47 AM
I had no problem using the upgrade page just now. I was using Chrome on Mac, maybe try a different browser at your end?

Incidentally, when the page comes up you have to manually copy/paste your existing key into the field and then click search. Then it allows you to proceed. I started out by leaving the field blank and searching for the key but that did nothing.

Sebastianmonty
28th October 2009, 09:04 AM

+1 i would like to know also.

gehenna
28th October 2009, 09:08 AM
http://img.skitch.com/20091027-mpe585syg8gu4k4mfirrake1c6.jpg

sageco
28th October 2009, 09:18 AM
Well, i think what gehenna means is that its far cheaper if you set your currency to US due to the exchange rate.

goatcatcher
28th October 2009, 09:32 AM
Tried Safari, Chrome and IE6. All the same:

http://turnspitdogs.com/downloads/vmware.jpg

Last night when searching for my serial no it loaded the "no valid licences found" message before the page finished rendering and the message disappeared under another mis-aligned part of the page.

Now, with the behaviour described above "Show All" reloads the page as-is, but Search and Register do nothing working.

I guess there's heavy load on the server, or maybe my account's f!(kded. Could also be the work proxy server that seems to manage to screw up a remarkable number of sites.

The accounts page shows no links or useful information either. Guess there's something not quite right going on.

*** UPDATE ***

It seems the problem is VMWare's end, see:
VMware: Team Fusion: Addressing the Overwhelming Demand for VMware Fusion 3 – Free 30 Day Trial Available (http://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2009/10/addressing-the-overwhelming-demand-for-vmware-fusion-3-free-30-day-trial-available.html)

gregoriusness
28th October 2009, 09:43 AM
Hey all,

I have fusion 2 at the moment, and Vista installed on a Boot Camp partition... i haven't been all that happy with the speed of my fusion (running vista from the BC partition) to date, and wondering if just using Fusion alone (installed on a virtual harddrive) would be quicker than my current setup...

Any ideas?

gehenna
28th October 2009, 09:48 AM
Any ideas?

That all depends on what kind of hardware you're running it on.....?

sleek881
28th October 2009, 09:54 AM
Can't see the value in paying another $100 for the same program, think I will use Parallels 4.0 and hoe they don't do the same as VM Ware.

recd
28th October 2009, 09:55 AM
Are you are student, an academic version is about $47

~Coxy
28th October 2009, 10:42 AM
Can't see the value in paying another $100 for the same program, think I will use Parallels 4.0 and hoe they don't do the same as VM Ware.

Parallels has historical been much worse than VMWare about paid upgrades. For example, Fusion 2.0 was a free upgrade and it worked fine on System 10.6.

gehenna
28th October 2009, 12:34 PM
Running Win7 as a VM from my Boot Camp partition is FINALLY a pleasant experience! It's really REALLY snappy! I can finally reclaim some 20GB of space for my other local Win7 VM that I have been running when not in Boot Camp mode. Yay!

dotnet
28th October 2009, 12:41 PM
This new version has nothing I urgently need, and 2.0.6 works fine for me. I'm going to skip this upgrade round and probably spend my 50 bucks on version 4.

Cheers
Steffen.

gr8bob
28th October 2009, 04:05 PM
Is it me or has the 3D acceleration gone wonky?

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/7531/picture1cg.png (http://img42.imageshack.us/i/picture1cg.png/)

bljpoad
28th October 2009, 09:22 PM
http://img.skitch.com/20091027-mpe585syg8gu4k4mfirrake1c6.jpg

I don't get that, if I select AUD it is $47.20
- Berwyck

Huy
28th October 2009, 09:25 PM
$47.20 is the Academic Discount.

markh
29th October 2009, 08:59 AM
Also, it seems if you buy the default $39.95USD upgrade from 1.x or 2.x to 3.0 you DO NOT get any product updates past 3.0. Bloody rich of them for that!

leon
29th October 2009, 09:49 AM
Also, it seems if you buy the default $39.95USD upgrade from 1.x or 2.x to 3.0 you DO NOT get any product updates past 3.0. Bloody rich of them for that!

Where did you get this information from? Has it been confirmed?

Exocet
29th October 2009, 09:52 AM
I got a nice email from the people at VMWare saying that I'm eligible for a free upgrade. How kind of them!

zigzagler
29th October 2009, 12:30 PM
Hey all,

I have fusion 2 at the moment, and Vista installed on a Boot Camp partition... i haven't been all that happy with the speed of my fusion (running vista from the BC partition) to date, and wondering if just using Fusion alone (installed on a virtual harddrive) would be quicker than my current setup...

Any ideas?

I'm having similar prob: running on xp in bc partition, slow response especially accessing shared folder btween mac.

Also xp heatsup my mbp so fast in bc.

Any idea?

gehenna
30th October 2009, 09:20 AM
Every time my Boot Camp VM starts up in Fusion it asks me to enter my OS X password. Anyone know how I can get it to remember this or is it going to be an ongoing thing? Pretty annoying if I have to keep entering it. I've taken a screeny of the Right it is referring to:

http://img.skitch.com/20091029-em7xx46nruk4ujam33rjbp2xwq.jpg

soulman
30th October 2009, 09:37 AM
Every time my Boot Camp VM starts up in Fusion it asks me to enter my OS X password.That looks like a Keychain issue. Have a look at the Keychain entry for VMWare & make sure it has access, by clicking on the Access Control tab.

gehenna
30th October 2009, 09:47 AM
That looks like a Keychain issue. Have a look at the Keychain entry for VMWare & make sure it has access, by clicking on the Access Control tab.

There doesn't seem to be a keychain entry for VMware, I've searched in All Items for VMware, and Fusion. The only thing that comes up is my web browser saved login details for the VMware site.

gr8bob
30th October 2009, 10:11 AM
There doesn't seem to be a keychain entry for VMware, I've searched in All Items for VMware, and Fusion. The only thing that comes up is my web browser saved login details for the VMware site.

As far as I recall, my Boot Camp installation did constantly ask for admin rights prior to each boot in Fusion 2.

Me thinks it's used to unmount the partition so Fusion have direct access to it.

~Coxy
30th October 2009, 10:25 AM
Yeah, it's definitely normal.

What might work is if you chmod the Fusion binary to have +s, so it runs as root and hopefully doesn't need to ask for your password.

gehenna
30th October 2009, 10:39 AM
Yeah, it's definitely normal.

What might work is if you chmod the Fusion binary to have +s, so it runs as root and hopefully doesn't need to ask for your password.

And how would one do this? :P

Unix amateur here...

dotnet
30th October 2009, 11:03 AM

Unix amateur here...

You don't. It's a really bad idea.

Cheers
Steffen.

gehenna
30th October 2009, 11:07 AM
You don't. It's a really bad idea.

I'll be the judge of that. I have no qualms in tinkering and if something breaks then so be it, I will fix it when I come to it. So my question stands, and I don't wish to enter a debate on this.

gehenna
30th October 2009, 11:48 AM
Another interesting issue, when I boot into my VM I seem to have an Outlook Temp folder created in my OS X Documents folder. I haven't even opened Outlook, and it's not selected as a default mail application at all. Weird.

midnight_e
30th October 2009, 01:05 PM

Don't use VMware Fusion but just received software offer from Smith Micro giving 25% off.

Sorry, suspect this offer only open to those signed up for software offers.

~Coxy
30th October 2009, 05:00 PM

Unix amateur here...

Open up a Terminal.
Find the Fusion binary, the path will be something like:

>cd /Applications/VMWare\ Fusion.app/Contents/MacOS

Inside will be a file (the binary) probably called VMWare Fusion or something:

>ls
VMWare Fusion

To modify the binary to run as root, chown the file to root then chmod that file with +s:

>chown root VMWare\ Fusion
>chmod u+s VMWare\ Fusion

Note that all of this is typed from memory! It could be slightly incorrect in terms of commands but that's the gist of it.

Huy
30th October 2009, 06:10 PM
The binary is called 'vmware'.

zigzagler
30th November 2009, 11:28 AM
Will this version solve mouse lag for wins xp?

Also where is the cheapest place to get an upgrade from v2?

gehenna
30th November 2009, 11:39 AM
Will this version solve mouse lag for wins xp?

Do you have VMware Tools installed?

zigzagler
30th November 2009, 01:44 PM
Yes...n I keep getting IP conflict in my winxp s well.

Ip conflict has been affecting me since I got the new linksys WAG160N modem/router...cause I have another laptop using vista... Have to restart my modem/router everyday! Any suggestions? I tried setting the client lease time to 3 days...

Currently on dhcp mode...

gehenna
30th November 2009, 01:46 PM
Currently on dhcp mode...

Is VMware set to NAT or Bridged mode? Try setting to NAT. Alternatively set up a DHCP reservation on your router using the MAC address of the Virtual Machine (you can find this in the VMware settings under Networking. Make sure you give it a reservation that isn't already in use on another computer

zigzagler
1st December 2009, 12:24 PM
Alright. Thanks!

zigzagler
23rd December 2009, 09:47 AM
When I try to copy some text from my excel in VMWare winxp & paste it in my mac excel, it doesn't give me anything at all...i don't have this problem when I was using VMWare v2.0 though....weird....

anyone else facing the same problem? it's not just excel, generally it's everything from winxp that can't be copied over to my mac....