PDA

View Full Version : 10.6.1 - we have a .dmg problem

Albert_Thurgood
27th October 2009, 03:19 PM
Did a search here but could find no relevant posts. Since the SL upgrade, .dmg files will not mount (on my MBA at least). And .tar.gz files will not decompress automagically, nor upon clicking. (Though i found the latter can be fixed using Terminal and
$ tar -xf filename.tar.gz)

Reported problem to APple a couple of days ago. No answer. Of course- has anyone ever had a reply?

Googling around, the problem is getting some coverage. There have been some temporary stopgaps suggested involving deletion of Home > Library > Preferences> files and restarting, but these aren't guaranteed and are not long term.

Anyone here encountered and overcome this problem?

dotnet
27th October 2009, 03:23 PM
I wonder under what circumstances this problem occurs. It certainly didn't happen on my MP and MBP.

Cheers
Steffen.

Albert_Thurgood
27th October 2009, 05:13 PM
Happens upon trying to mount downloaded programs.

Two examples:
Pathfinder from CocoaTech is a great application I have advocated here before many times. While travelling, I needed to install it on my Macbook Air. No dice. The Cocoatech forum actually has a thread discussing this, and they are trying to instal a solution into PF. But of course that doesn't help anyone who actually wants to install PF from a dmg file!
The other application is UNIX based, v stable, have run for many years on my mac Pro. Downloads as .tar.gz. That is the file I got the workaround via Terminal.

I didn't try to D/L other programs to see how widespread the problem is. Instead I googled and found a lot of people have been having this problem. One thread, for example, is at the home of Apple, with no answers provided by the mothership:

Apple - Support - Discussions - Downloaded .dmg files will not mount ... (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2138997&tstart=0)

wabbit
27th October 2009, 05:58 PM
Do you use Transmission?

Albert_Thurgood
27th October 2009, 06:13 PM
Sometimes, but its not even installed on this MBA.

wabbit
27th October 2009, 06:33 PM
Sometimes, but its not even installed on this MBA.

Ah okay, theres a big thing at the moment with that. For some unknown reason even starting then stopping Transmission will for some users produce the exact errors your having. A friend of mine has it aswell, I VNC'd to confirm... I just couldn't believe it.

Then again, not the cause of your issue.